Sep 10, 2013, 9:18 AM EDT
Wladimir Balentien is one home run away from Sadaharu Oh’s Japanese record. He hit number 54 this evening.
I have no idea if anyone is trying to pitch around him to prevent him from getting the record — some background on all that here — but if they are good luck. Check out his 54th homer. The pitch was up at head level:
Dude is gonna swing at everything between now and the end of the season. And he’s gonna probably hit it.
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 7
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 24
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 43
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 27
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 39
- The wait is over: The Cubs are calling up top prospect Kris Bryant on Friday 99
- Carlos Gomez headed to disabled list with hamstring injury 11
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (126)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)