Sep 10, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
If you needed any further indication that Derek Jeter‘s left ankle soreness is a concern, this would be it. Ryan is one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball, but he is also a .238/.300/.320 hitter in 2,583 career major league plate appearances.
Because the trade happened after August 31, Ryan will not be eligible for New York’s postseason roster.
A taste of Ryan’s defensive prowess for those unaware (via Dave Cameron of FanGraphs):
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)