Sep 10, 2013, 11:32 PM EDT
If you needed any further indication that Derek Jeter‘s left ankle soreness is a concern, this would be it. Ryan is one of the best defensive shortstops in baseball, but he is also a .238/.300/.320 hitter in 2,583 career major league plate appearances.
Because the trade happened after August 31, Ryan will not be eligible for New York’s postseason roster.
A taste of Ryan’s defensive prowess for those unaware (via Dave Cameron of FanGraphs):
- Report: Larry Lucchino stepping down as president and CEO of the Red Sox 11
- Clayton Kershaw and Mike Trout make MLB history in Saturday’s matchup 11
- Matt Williams on Bryce Harper’s ejection: “He needs to stay in the baseball game” 35
- UPDATE: C.J. Wilson needs elbow surgery and will likely miss the rest of the season 11
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 41
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game 185
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 74
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (185)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s (95)
- Report: Rockies trade Troy Tulowitzki to Blue Jays for Jose Reyes and prospects (90)