Sep 11, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Baseball America announced that Twins stud prospect Byron Buxton is their minor league player of the year after the 19-year-old center fielder dominated two levels of Single-A in his first full pro season.
Picked second overall in the 2012 draft, Buxton hit .334 with 55 steals, 49 extra-base hits, 76 walks, and a .944 OPS in 125 games, doing things few teenagers have done in the Midwest League and Florida State League.
Matt Eddy of BA wrote a lengthy article about Buxton winning the award, complete with tons of interesting statistical tidbits, and it’s definitely worth reading the whole thing. Wil Myers, who won the award last year, is now a leading Rookie of the Year candidate, and 2011 winner Mike Trout won Rookie of the Year and finished runner-up for MVP the year after getting the BA award.
It’ll be tough for Buxton to follow exactly in those footsteps, because next season he’ll be 20 years old and probably headed to Double-A, but he’s the best all-around prospect in baseball and us Twins fans are already dreaming about his arrival.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 76
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 35
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (129)