Sep 11, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Baseball America announced that Twins stud prospect Byron Buxton is their minor league player of the year after the 19-year-old center fielder dominated two levels of Single-A in his first full pro season.
Picked second overall in the 2012 draft, Buxton hit .334 with 55 steals, 49 extra-base hits, 76 walks, and a .944 OPS in 125 games, doing things few teenagers have done in the Midwest League and Florida State League.
Matt Eddy of BA wrote a lengthy article about Buxton winning the award, complete with tons of interesting statistical tidbits, and it’s definitely worth reading the whole thing. Wil Myers, who won the award last year, is now a leading Rookie of the Year candidate, and 2011 winner Mike Trout won Rookie of the Year and finished runner-up for MVP the year after getting the BA award.
It’ll be tough for Buxton to follow exactly in those footsteps, because next season he’ll be 20 years old and probably headed to Double-A, but he’s the best all-around prospect in baseball and us Twins fans are already dreaming about his arrival.
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 17
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 30
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 27
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Tony La Russa denies that Kirk Gibson’s job is safe 22
- Pirates activate Andrew McCutchen from the disabled list 2
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (70)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)