Sep 11, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Baseball America announced that Twins stud prospect Byron Buxton is their minor league player of the year after the 19-year-old center fielder dominated two levels of Single-A in his first full pro season.
Picked second overall in the 2012 draft, Buxton hit .334 with 55 steals, 49 extra-base hits, 76 walks, and a .944 OPS in 125 games, doing things few teenagers have done in the Midwest League and Florida State League.
Matt Eddy of BA wrote a lengthy article about Buxton winning the award, complete with tons of interesting statistical tidbits, and it’s definitely worth reading the whole thing. Wil Myers, who won the award last year, is now a leading Rookie of the Year candidate, and 2011 winner Mike Trout won Rookie of the Year and finished runner-up for MVP the year after getting the BA award.
It’ll be tough for Buxton to follow exactly in those footsteps, because next season he’ll be 20 years old and probably headed to Double-A, but he’s the best all-around prospect in baseball and us Twins fans are already dreaming about his arrival.
- How Commissioner Rob Manfred Can Make Baseball More Appealing 31
- Blue Jays cut off talks for Orioles executive Dan Duquette 34
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts 116
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 46
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 17
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (144)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (117)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)