Sep 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Officially the Tigers haven’t made a decision yet on whether they’ll allow Jhonny Peralta to rejoin the team once his 50-game suspension is over on September 26, but the shortstop is set to begin working out with the team again.
Here’s what the Tigers said on the topic yesterday in a statement:
There has been no decision made regarding Peralta’s return to the active roster. It is an organizational decision to allow Jhonny to workout with the club in order to see if it will be in the best interest of the team to have him return at the end of his suspension.
In other words, if he looks good and like he can help the team they’ll let him play once the suspension is over, which makes it performance-based rather than morality-based. And that’s fine, especially since the Rangers plan to have Nelson Cruz on the playoff roster once he returns from the same Biogenesis-related suspension.
How much he’ll play is another issue, as slick-fielding rookie Jose Iglesias has taken over at shortstop since being acquired from the Red Sox to fill in for Peralta and the Tigers have Miguel Cabrera at third base and Omar Infante at second base. Most likely he’d fill a part-time bench role.
Peralta hit .305 with 11 homers, 29 doubles, and an .822 OPS in 104 games before the suspension and the 31-year-old is an impending free agent.
- Rangers designate Neftali Feliz for assignment, activate Matt Harrison 3
- Anibal Sanchez loses his bid for a no-hitter with one out in the eighth inning 11
- The Yankees, A-Rod resolve their dispute over the $6 million milestone bonus 28
- Yankees donate $150,000 to charity to get Alex Rodriguez his 3,000th hit ball 19
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno 87
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 59
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 61
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 55
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (87)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)