Sep 11, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Officially the Tigers haven’t made a decision yet on whether they’ll allow Jhonny Peralta to rejoin the team once his 50-game suspension is over on September 26, but the shortstop is set to begin working out with the team again.
Here’s what the Tigers said on the topic yesterday in a statement:
There has been no decision made regarding Peralta’s return to the active roster. It is an organizational decision to allow Jhonny to workout with the club in order to see if it will be in the best interest of the team to have him return at the end of his suspension.
In other words, if he looks good and like he can help the team they’ll let him play once the suspension is over, which makes it performance-based rather than morality-based. And that’s fine, especially since the Rangers plan to have Nelson Cruz on the playoff roster once he returns from the same Biogenesis-related suspension.
How much he’ll play is another issue, as slick-fielding rookie Jose Iglesias has taken over at shortstop since being acquired from the Red Sox to fill in for Peralta and the Tigers have Miguel Cabrera at third base and Omar Infante at second base. Most likely he’d fill a part-time bench role.
Peralta hit .305 with 11 homers, 29 doubles, and an .822 OPS in 104 games before the suspension and the 31-year-old is an impending free agent.
- Video: Mike Trout makes a ridiculous slide to beat the tag at third base 2
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 20
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 61
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 131
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (131)
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)