Sep 11, 2013, 11:34 AM EST
Some ballparks have a ton of statues. Others, not so many. Boston’s Fenway Park is in the not so many camp, with current statues of Ted Williams and a “Teammates” statue featuring Williams, Dom DiMaggio, Johnny Pesky and Bobby Doerr being the only ones.
But Fenway is about to get a third: Carl Yastrzemski’s statue will be unveiled on Sunday, Sept. 22 to commemorate the 30th anniversary of his retirement.
Yaz is definitely worthy. After Williams, Yaz — winner of the 1967 Triple Crown, MVP Award and leader of the “Impossible Dream” Red Sox — is probably the best and most significant Red Sox in the team’s history. Indeed, even as he started to be surpassed in terms of production — and pushed out of the outfield — by Jim Rice, Fred Lynn and Dwight Evans as the 1970s wore on, Yaz was undoubtedly the face of the team and the hero of Sox fans who came of age at any time between the early 60s and early 80s.
Yastrzemski hit 452 home runs, drove in 1,844 runs and batted .285 while playing 3,308 games for Boston. And now he’s getting the bronze treatment.
Mar 6, 2015, 11:43 PM EST
Cuban infielder Hector Olivera is free to sign with a team of his choosing now that he has been declared a free agent.
Mar 6, 2015, 11:05 PM EST
Jordan Zimmermann is well aware of the expectations the Nationals face going into the 2015 season.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:15 PM EST
Cole Hamels will be drawing plenty of eyeballs throughout the spring, as he remains a potential trade chip for the Phillies.
Mar 6, 2015, 9:25 PM EST
Daniel Murphy suffered a scare on Friday afternoon when he was hit on the hand with a pitch, but early results have been positive.
Mar 6, 2015, 8:35 PM EST
Friday was Matt Harvey Day in Port St. Lucie, as the right-hander returned to game action for the first time since he had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow.
Mar 6, 2015, 7:45 PM EST
The Astros didn’t like what they saw following Ryan Vogelsong’s medical examination, which is why they lowered their offer.
Mar 6, 2015, 6:55 PM EST
Gregor Blanco will probably get the lion’s share of the available playing time with Hunter Pence absent for six to eight weeks.
Mar 6, 2015, 6:05 PM EST
The Blue Jays have nothing to worry about with Jose Bautista, per manager John Gibbons.
Mar 6, 2015, 4:48 PM EST
Most of them don’t. But there are some predictive stats to be found in spring training games. If you know where to look.
Mar 6, 2015, 3:51 PM EST
The once top prospect hasn’t played in the bigs since 2012.
Mar 6, 2015, 3:15 PM EST
Kotchman was the Angels’ first-round pick in 2001 and played 10 seasons in the majors for seven different teams, most recently with the Marlins in 2013.
Mar 6, 2015, 2:40 PM EST
Beaned on Tuesday, plunked on Friday. Not the best week for Murph.
Mar 6, 2015, 2:20 PM EST
Beimel pitched well for the Mariners last season, throwing 45 innings with a 2.20 ERA.
Mar 6, 2015, 1:49 PM EST
Lucroy was initially given a 4-6 week recovery timetable on February 11, so he’s three-plus weeks in.
Mar 6, 2015, 1:19 PM EST
He faced six batters and retired them all. And he cranked it up to 99 m.p.h.
Mar 6, 2015, 12:39 PM EST
He’s been injured the last two seasons. He’s not starting 2015 out much better.
Mar 6, 2015, 11:31 AM EST
See, now that’s good sportsmanship in 2015!
Mar 6, 2015, 11:03 AM EST
The pitchers are starting to drop. Here’s hoping we don’t get a rash of these like we did last year.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:47 AM EST
Barry Zito took the mound Thursday for his first game action since 2013.
Mar 6, 2015, 10:30 AM EST
Reconnecting with old friends is always nice.
- MLB declares Hector Olivera a free agent 0
- Video: Watch Matt Harvey’s return to action against the Tigers 3
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 23
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 36
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 147
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (380)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (147)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)