Sep 11, 2013, 4:26 PM EDT
And with this move, Derek Jeter‘s nightmare season effectively ends:
Cashman said Jeter is being put on the DL which will “effectively end his season.”
— Mark Feinsand (@FeinsandNYDN) September 11, 2013
Jeter last played on September 7, so if he was DL’d retroactively, he could theoretically make the last few games of the season (the Yankees have 17 games left). But that’s only if everything worked out perfectly for him. And nothing this year has worked out perfectly for him. And the Yankees seem to know this:
Jeter also ruled out for postseason if Yankees make it
— wallace matthews (@ESPNNYYankees) September 11, 2013
He’ll end his season having played in 17 games with a .190 average and a lone homer and lone double his only real production.
Jeter has a player option for 2014. It’s quite possible that he exercises it this winter and, much in the way Marinao Rivera came back for a final year, Jeter ends his career in action and healthy. But you have to wonder, given how hard it has been for him to come back from last year’s broken ankle, whether he is physically able to do so. And whether, because of that, he doesn’t contemplate retirement.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (133)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)