Sep 11, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
Joe Mauer was given clearance for light workouts last week and even participated in batting practice this past weekend. But the Twins’ star catcher just experienced a pretty frightening setback.
According to Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Mauer’s concussion symptoms returned following a workout Wednesday evening at Target Field and he was sent home to rest. Twins general manager Terry Ryan told Miller that Mauer was in an “irritable” mood when he left the park.
“This was a bad day,” Ryan said on Wednesday night, “but we’ll come back and try tomorrow.”
It’s a near certainty now that Mauer will not play in another major league game this season.
He has been on the shelf since taking several foul tips off his catcher’s mask on August 19.
- 2014 Preview: Chicago Cubs 1
- Manny Machado calls $519K salary for 2014 “disappointing” 34
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 18
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 60
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 12