Sep 11, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
Joe Mauer was given clearance for light workouts last week and even participated in batting practice this past weekend. But the Twins’ star catcher just experienced a pretty frightening setback.
According to Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Mauer’s concussion symptoms returned following a workout Wednesday evening at Target Field and he was sent home to rest. Twins general manager Terry Ryan told Miller that Mauer was in an “irritable” mood when he left the park.
“This was a bad day,” Ryan said on Wednesday night, “but we’ll come back and try tomorrow.”
It’s a near certainty now that Mauer will not play in another major league game this season.
He has been on the shelf since taking several foul tips off his catcher’s mask on August 19.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 15
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (116)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)