Sep 11, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
Joe Mauer was given clearance for light workouts last week and even participated in batting practice this past weekend. But the Twins’ star catcher just experienced a pretty frightening setback.
According to Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Mauer’s concussion symptoms returned following a workout Wednesday evening at Target Field and he was sent home to rest. Twins general manager Terry Ryan told Miller that Mauer was in an “irritable” mood when he left the park.
“This was a bad day,” Ryan said on Wednesday night, “but we’ll come back and try tomorrow.”
It’s a near certainty now that Mauer will not play in another major league game this season.
He has been on the shelf since taking several foul tips off his catcher’s mask on August 19.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 26
- The Nationals extend their winning streak to 10 games with another walk-off victory 12
- Garrett Richards out 6-9 months with torn patellar tendon 14
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 92
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 82
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 28
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 46
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. (92)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)