Sep 11, 2013, 9:21 PM EDT
Joe Mauer was given clearance for light workouts last week and even participated in batting practice this past weekend. But the Twins’ star catcher just experienced a pretty frightening setback.
According to Phil Miller of the Minneapolis Star-Tribune, Mauer’s concussion symptoms returned following a workout Wednesday evening at Target Field and he was sent home to rest. Twins general manager Terry Ryan told Miller that Mauer was in an “irritable” mood when he left the park.
“This was a bad day,” Ryan said on Wednesday night, “but we’ll come back and try tomorrow.”
It’s a near certainty now that Mauer will not play in another major league game this season.
He has been on the shelf since taking several foul tips off his catcher’s mask on August 19.
- Kevin Youkilis opts for retirement at age 35 27
- 10 nominees for Hall of Fame’s Veterans Committee announced 94
- Bochy’s championship resume ranks among game’s best 17
- Alex Gordon would have been a dead duck had he tried to score 80
- Video: Pablo Sandoval catches final out in foul territory, Giants win 2014 World Series 10
- Madison Bumgarner pitches the Giants to their third World Series win in five seasons 93
- Madison Bumgarner named World Series MVP … obviously 21
- Pablo Sandoval sets new postseason hits record 10
- A veteran says enough is enough when it comes to tributes for the soldiers (280)
- Jose Canseco shot his middle finger off (148)
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (142)
- Oscar Taveras dies after car accident in the Dominican Republic (140)
- 10-0! The Royals romp, tie it up at three games a piece (109)