Johnny Cueto on starting or relieving for Reds: “I’ll do whatever they want”

Sep 11, 2013, 12:48 PM EST

johnny cueto getty Getty Images

Johnny Cueto threw 60 pitches of live batting practice to Reds teammate this morning and afterward pronounced himself “ready” to come off the disabled list following nearly three months on the sidelines with a lat injury.

As for whether he’ll resume starting or move to the bullpen, Cueto told John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer:

I don’t know. It depends on what they’re going to do–the front office, the GM. They’re all going to sit down together. I don’t know what they’re going to do. I feel good. I feel ready. That’s their problem now. I’ll do whatever they want.

Tony Cingrani leaving last night’s game with more back problems could increase Cueto’s odds of stepping back into the rotation and all 158 of his career appearances for the Reds have come as a starter.

1. Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Well, I haven’t said anything about baseball’s reigning thug since he got hurt, feeling – unlike Cueto himself – that it’s not nice to kick a guy when he’s down. But now that he’s all better, I’d like to suggest to the Reds that if they really want to use him to best advantage, they ought to ask him to get down on all fours in a shallow pit and kill starving rats with his teeth while they sit around above him and lay wagers.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:10 PM

I have to admit…I have absolutely noticed your lack of little Joanie Cueto comments while he was on the shelf.

• dan1111 - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:32 PM

If you don’t have anything nice to say about someone…then at least make it funnier than this.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 5:00 PM

If you knew more about Victorian English gaming habits, or the names of the bands that the surviving members of the Grateful Dead have formed, it would be funnier than that. I could have used cockfighting as a metaphor, which might have been more familiar to a domestic audience, but I thought rats were more appropriate to the subject.

• dan1111 - Sep 11, 2013 at 5:12 PM

Gator, not only do I know the names of all the bands, but I have all of The Starving Rats’ albums, which I usually listen to while playing my daily game of croquet. But I still don’t find it funny.

I only criticize because I know you can do better.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 6:19 PM

The band I had in mind was Ratdog, Bob Weir’s knockoff group – I think they even went out on tour once with Ryan Adams in the band.

But just for the record, I don’t find anything about Cueto funny in the first place. I thought he should have been prosecuted for criminal assault instead of having been given a one-start tap on the tushy. My comment wan’t meant to be comical; it was meant to be contemptuous.

2. yahmule - Sep 11, 2013 at 2:24 PM

Gross and cruel to animals. What else you got?

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:58 PM

Well, I have some really excellent homemade strawberry cream cheese bread pudding. Go take some carb blockers and come back in thirty minutes. There might still be some left.

• dan1111 - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I have read it five times, but I still can’t figure out how all of those words can be in one food.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:56 PM

You’ll find the recipe somewhere near the lower quarter of the Blue Jays will Play on Grass thread.

3. stlouis1baseball - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:14 PM

Little Joanie was Kung Fu Fighting
    Those kicks were fast as lightning
    In fact, it was a little bit frightening
    But she fought with expert timing

She’s a funky Cincy woman from funky Cincy town
    She was chopping them up she was chopping them down
    It’s an ancient Chinese art and little Joanie knew her part
    From a feint into a slip and a kickin’ from the hip
    Little Joanie was Kung Fu fighting
    Those kicks were fast as lightning
    In fact it was a little bit frightning
    But she fought with expert timing

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:00 PM

I’m really tempted to ask if that’s an Over the Rhine song, except that I know they’ve got lots of better things to sing about.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:13 PM

Carl (one hit wonder) Douglas …with some minor tweaks of course.

4. carolynhall707 - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:29 PM

what Marcus implied I didn’t know that a stay at home mom able to get paid $4252 in 4 weeks on the computer. have you read
    … http:\\x­d­5­.n­ℯt/0546

Cubs shore up rotation with Jon Lester
  1. W. Myers (4966)
  2. M. Kemp (3495)
  3. J. Kang (2649)
  4. J. Upton (2605)
  5. W. Middlebrooks (2601)
  1. C. McGehee (2576)