Jose Fernandez completes rookie season with a 2.19 ERA

Sep 11, 2013, 10:30 PM EDT

jose fernandez getty Getty Images

Marlins rookie Jose Fernandez made his final start of the 2013 season on Wednesday night at Marlins Park against the Braves. He went out with a bang.

Pumping easy high-90s fastballs and wicked off-speed stuff, the 21-year-old right-hander held first-place Atlanta to to one run on five hits over seven innings while striking out five in what wound up as a 5-2 victory for Miami. Fernandez also contributed offensively, slapping a fourth-inning single to center field and cranking his first career home run — a solo shot — in the sixth inning. He watched the homer fly, flipped his bat and then appeared to spit near the third base bag, prompting a benches-clearing reaction from the Braves. No punches were thrown and no ejections were handed out. Here’s the replay:

Fernandez — the likely Rookie of the Year in the National League — will finish his first big league season with a 2.19 ERA, 0.98 WHIP and 187 strikeouts in 172 2/3 innings. As noted by Joel Sherman of the New York Post, that 2.19 ERA is the best mark from a starter in his age-20 season since Doc Gooden (1.53) in 1985.

1. stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:41 AM

I am borrowing this from Suzie:

“I came out of it admiring the Keed. Old School is beating the other guy with your bat and glove.”

I also dig how he quickly stopped talking to the pitching coach in the dug out while the camera was on him. He immediately went to the tunnel to finish the discussion. And man was he fired up.
    Then he apologizes in the post game interview. Lol! He apologized. Unreal.
    This kid is special.

One more thing…I may have 20 years on him but he’s a much bigger person than I am.
    Cause’ if that is me…someone is getting drilled in the back.

2. eagles512 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Punk

• Old Gator - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:09 PM

Mirror?

3. hasbeen5 - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:53 AM

Long time Braves fan here, but it sure looked like Johnson instigated all of this. Sure Fernandez pimped the homer, but it was in response to Johnson. And honestly, overreacting to someone watching a homer is getting old anyway. You don’t want a guy to pimp it, don’t let him hit it 400 feet. There were a couple good things in the video though, like the camera catching Johnson saying “I’ll beat the f#%& out of you right f*&#ing now” after he was safely away from the scrum. Also, the guy in the stands getting knocked over with the homerun ball.

• myopinionisgarbage - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:13 PM

Did anyone else see what a PUSSY Johnson was, and lose all respect for him? He was talking shit, then ran down and hid behind the umpire to talk more shit, and then pretended the KID was talking shit with his “keep talking” hand gesture.

I love Fernandez. Instead of hurting someone, he just went out and dominated them in every facet of the game, all while having a good time, until Mr. Dildo showed up to spoil the party. There’s always one asshole, but in this case it’s also the pussy. If I was a GM, and I saw that tape, I’d cut the guy right there with a note that says “no guts.”

• Old Gator - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:17 PM

That’s probably why the Snakes traded him to the Barves in the first place: deficient in grit.

4. bigdaddy44 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:06 AM

The kid apologized for his poor handling of the situation. He should have just drilled one of the Atlanta douchebags in the ass in the next at bat. If these DB’s on Atlanta can’t deal with a situation like this, how are they gonna handle the pressure of the playoffs? Its gonna be NLDS and done for these bunch of frauds. They are doing a disservice to a great people, the Proud American Indian, by using the name Braves. These guys should be called the Atlanta Chicken Shitters.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:58 AM

Hahaha! “The Atlanta Chicken Shitters.”

• stex52 - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:00 PM

No, I was proud of the kid for not throwing at them. He’s a pitcher! He hit a home run on them!

How can you show them up better than that? IF he hits someone, everyone is talking beanball war. Instead, we are talking about how Johnson and McCann are whiny guys.

Well done, kid.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:33 PM

I agree with you Suze. Did you see my post? I stated he was a bigger person than me as I would have drilled someone in that circumstance. Kudo’s to the kid.
        He handled it perfectly.

5. jonathanconverse - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:50 AM

my step-mom recently bought a new Toyota Avalon by working online at home… more information
    …. http:\\­g­o­O­.gl/UODufm

• km9000 - Sep 12, 2013 at 6:10 PM

Am I wrong in assuming that people have to be clicking on these, or else they wouldn’t keep being posted so persistently?

6. sethlaurence75 - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:00 PM

Jose Fernandez not only finished off the season in style, but he did it while pissing off a division rival… and that’s awesome!

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto