The Blue Jays will be playing on grass eventually

Sep 11, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT

Rogers Centre AP

Its crazy to think about it if you came to baseball in the 70s and early 80s, but now there are only two parks in Major League Baseball with artificial turf: Rogers Centre in Toronto and Tropicana Field in St. Pete.  Within a few years there will be only one.

From the Globe and Mail, news that the CFL’s Argonauts — the biggest reason they keep turf in Rogers Centre — are going to be out of the joint by 2018 at the latest, and that it seems like the Jays are going to put grass on the field. It’ll be hard, but not impossible:

“Nothing’s impossible. Everything can be engineered … but it’s not as simple as trucking in dirt and laying sod down,” said Steve Schiedel, vice-president of Greenhorizons Group of Farms Ltd., a Cambridge, Ont.-based company that installed a temporary grass field in Rogers Centre during the summer of 2010, for a pair of soccer matches. Because Rogers Centre is surrounded symmetrically by high walls to support the retractable roof, special lighting may be required to stimulate grass growth. But the biggest hurdle is lack of drainage.

For that they’ll dig up the concrete below and add a drainage system. Then: grass. Hopefully.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 11, 2013 at 11:20 AM

Real grass! No weed allowed!

2. rbj1 - Sep 11, 2013 at 11:38 AM

So Canada has legalized marijuana?

3. babyfarkmcgeezax - Sep 11, 2013 at 11:53 AM

Does Craig really think the Blue Jays haven’t played on grass yet? Perhaps he forgets to realize that they have played hundreds of away games over the years, and most of those games have been on grass. Craig must have smoked a lot of grass to actually believe the Blue Jays only play games at their home ballpark. He looks like a fool by implying such nonsense with this foolish headline.

• supersnappy - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:09 PM

“away games”? I have no idea what those are

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Me either. I read babyfark’s post in a mild state of bemusement with a tincture of pity – dear Buddha, what a stupid, sententious comment.

• indaburg - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:03 PM

I actually felt some of the neurons in my brain commit suicide after reading that.

• lukescottsbedsidemanner - Sep 11, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Noooooo….! I like smart women! Don’t git dumb! You’ll need your wits about yer when we’re pig huntin’. Don’t want no wily boar gettin’ all up in my woman’s grill.

Here. Have a roofie. You’ll forget all about what stupid up there had to say. I’ll take care of you while you’re out, so don’t worry.

4. dlf9 - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:12 PM

“I don’t know, I’ve never smoked astroturf” — Tug McGraw when asked whether he perferred grass or plastic.

I think I like another one from the late great Tug. After signing a big – for the time – free agent contract with the Phillies said, “Ninety percent, I’ll spend on good times, women, and Irish Whiskey, the other ten percent, I’ll probably waste.”

5. drewzducks - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM

The article could very well have been titled “Blue Jays playing like they’re smoking grass”.

6. Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 12:35 PM

The jays don’t have the problems we do. With four dogs, we had to design a drainage system that carried effluent quietly under the fence to our neighbor’s yard before the oolite got saturated. Then we had to go to Ace Hardware to find our soil paint.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:01 PM

Just like when you post comments about what you cooked for breakfast or dinner… no one cares.

• cur68 - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:21 PM

I’d not bother posting stuff dissing other people and what others care about, b-fart . . . er, fark I mean. I think you’re setting the record for thumbs down up there with your “Anti-Calcaterra” screed. Say, if you don’t like the posts or the comments, you DO have the right to go elsewhere, y’know? No one’s compelling you to read or comment here.

• moogro - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:26 PM

Shame on you sir: You insult people after your HBT IQ-lowering post about the grass. Take a breath.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 1:38 PM

@babyfart: which means, one assumes, that no one authorized you to speak on their behalf.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 2:26 PM

Oh and incidentally, this afternoon I made strawberry cream cheese bread pudding. Break up six slices of toasted strawberry cream cheese povitica, and two slices of toasted challah, into a bowl containing four eggs beaten together with two cups of half and half, a teaspoon each of cinnamon and vanilla, a cup of brown sugar and two tablespoons of honey, and two tablespoons of melted butter. Add half a cup of dried cranberries and four or five chopped fresh strawberries. Pour into a breadloaf pan and bake at 350 F. for forty five minutes to an hour. Let cool and set. Reheat in a microwave later on and serve with ice cream or a good creamy rum sauce.

Ohboy.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Correction – half a cup of brown sugar. I’m not trolling for diabetics today.

• babyfarkmcgeezax - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

Again, no one cares. I think most would agree they come to Hardballtalk to discuss baseball, not random recipes from a Top Chef wannabe. What is the point of posting about some meal you’ve just cooked or are about to cook, other than that you are shamelessly fishing for compliments? Yes, let’s all pat you on the back for making bread pudding. Way to go. Great job. Happy?

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:27 PM

Few things in life cheer one like irritating a moron. Especially a moron who speaks so eloquently on behalf of no one.

• historiophiliac - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:52 PM

You don’t have to let it set before baking, OG?

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 4:09 PM

Not when you make it with toasted povitica and challah. It’s so dry that it soaks up the liquid almost immediately. Unlike “straight” bread pudding, which is usually made with semi-stale dried out bread, the toasted stuff is thirstier. The one thing you could do with this particular version is use a spoon or fork to force the bits of freshly sliced strawberry beneath the surface of the mix before putting it in the over.

Tonight, because I have quite a bit of leftover challah, I’m going to make savory bacon, crabmeat and chopped scallop bread pudding – which I usually serve Benedict style, with a poached egg and hollandaise sauce. There are some similar recipes out there but my little touch is to use fish broth instead of chicken broth and I usually add diced scallions and some of the bacon fat runoff to it as well. It will make a nice accompaniment to El Keed’s final start of the season. For Feesh fans, I guess you could say the orfseason semi-ofeeshally begins tomorrow. Let’s give this past season the sendoff it doesn’t even remotely deserve.

• moogro - Sep 11, 2013 at 5:25 PM

I like the fish sauce idea. Gotta try it.

Another day maybe it’ll make it’s way into the smashed platanos with salsa. The platanos seemed to work well with fish as a shell for baking.

• Old Gator - Sep 11, 2013 at 6:23 PM

Oh, they do, they do. I’ve had all kinds of fish and seafood pies in pastry crusts of every description. Mofongo crust has them all beaten silly.

7. bw1980 - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:34 AM

I cannot profess to have ever been to Rogers Centre (I still call it the Sky Dome in casual conversation) but the salient question to me is why the Jays plan to stay in the Rogers Centre through at least 2018. Fenway, Wrigley and Dodgers Stadium aside, the Rogers Centre has to be one of the oldest and most antiquated venues in baseball. Multi-use facilities have gone by the waste side in nearly every other MLB/NFL (I know that the Argos are CFL) and the Rogers Centre seems like a huge warehouse which would not be an enjoyable place to watch a game. I’m surprised the Jays aren’t pushing for a baseball only facility but, just I cannot profess to have been to Rogers Centre, I cannot profess to know about either the economic situation in Toronto nor how much the people of Toronto care about the Jays, which is to say that if the Jays attempted to have a new stadium publicly funded lest they leave whether anybody would care.

• carnifex2005 - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:04 AM

They plan to stay because they own the building and it is in a great location. It is much cheaper for them to renovate the Skydome to be baseball only than it is to make a new park.

Three legends off to Cooperstown