UPDATE: It’s official: The Yankees will bump the Mets off WFAN radio next year

Sep 11, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT

Yankees logo

UPDATE: Done deal. The Yankees have reached an agreement with CBS Radio to broadcast their games on WFAN beginning in 2014. This knocks the Mets off that station, where they’ve been broadcast for over 25 years. Details aren’t known, but it’s expected to be north of $15 million a year. Their current radio deal reportedly pays them $13-14 million.

Tuesday, 11:35 AMThis is for the New Yorkers. The rest of us will continue to ignore Yankees radio broadcasts pretty much all of the time:

The Yankees and CBS Radio are close to a deal that would put the Yankees on WFAN starting in 2014, a person familiar with the negotiations told Newsday. The arrangement would bump the Mets off the station that has carried their games since WFAN’s inception in 1987.

The Yankees currently are carried by WCBS Radio. The Mets could go any number of other places as there are no shortage of radio stations in New York.

The report says that John Sterling is likely to stay as the radio voice of the Yankees. Which more or less explains the second sentence of my opening comments.

1. Jeremy T - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:40 AM

I like the Yankees going to the Fan because I’m pretty sure they have a stronger signal than WCBS. Is there any way we could take the Mets announcers, though? Sterling and Waldman have caused me to basically stop paying attention to the actual games when I’m not near a TV.

• petey1999 - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:09 PM

On a road trip this past weekend, my wife and I were forced to listen to the Yankee’s radio broadcast on SiriusXM. We have never felt so much sympathy for NY fans. Maybe we’re spoiled with Castigliano / O’Brien, but my god, why does an otherwise sophisticated audience have to put up with that?

• hojo20 - Sep 10, 2013 at 1:22 PM

RU insane? O’Brien sucks.

• redsox51 - Sep 10, 2013 at 1:31 PM

I’m no supporter of Castiglione, but O’Brien is fantastic. If you can’t appreciate him, it’s probably because his vocabulary far exceeds yours, thus being unable to visualize the story that he’s telling.

As for Sterling and Suzyn, if you like them, great, but put them on while watching the game and you’ll find they frequently are telling a different tale.

2. dondada10 - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:51 AM

My initial reaction was outrage, but it doesn’t really matter.

• Brian Donohue - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:17 PM

That’s the spirit — Sterling & Waldman bring us, albeit unwittingly, a greater appreciation for the absurd. I get the same sense whenever I hear the msnbc political voice of Chris Matthews: what deranged producer, I wonder, ever imagined that this fingernails-on-blackboard voice was just perfect for broadcast media?

• bfunk1978 - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:38 PM

I read that as Statler and Waldorf, but let’s be honest: those two muppets could call a better game.

3. number42is1 - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:53 AM

“The report says that John Sterling is likely to stay as the radio voice of the Yankees. ”

DAMMIT!

• derekjetersmansion - Sep 10, 2013 at 7:30 PM

jay mohr on sterling and waldman. pretty great.

4. sdelmonte - Sep 10, 2013 at 11:55 AM

Mets can move to ESPN radio. They are already there for Spanish.

Will add that back before the Internet, I thought it was weird that an all-news station would choose to have sports for so much time. Now, of course, the news runs 24/7 online.

• bigwoody7 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:16 PM

The Mets will go to WOR 710 or 770 WABC. 50,000 watts of clear channel at night beats espn on fm.

• sdelmonte - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:47 PM

If they go to WABC, I bet they duplicate the signal on ESPN though.

5. caeser12 - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:10 PM

^^^This made me sad.

6. bigblue86 - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:19 PM

As a Mets fan, eh whatever. Just leave us Or radio and TV broadcasters, all of which are infinitely better than the Yankee crews, and I’ll listen to them on any station. But CBS can feel free to use this as a reason to bump Francesa also

7. thebadguyswon - Sep 10, 2013 at 12:30 PM

Most of the hosts are Yankees fans anyway. Not a big deal.

• jerseyshoregiant - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:53 PM

Not that it matters but only Francesa is a Yankee fan. Every other full time host is a Mets fan

• dondada10 - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:23 PM

Check your calendar. I think Craig Carton roots for the Yankees after Labor Day.

• bigwoody7 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:18 PM

Worse decision by the fan since they let the knicks/rangers package go away. The ‘FAN is linked to the Mets in peoples DNA.

8. mj2sexay - Sep 10, 2013 at 1:14 PM

Suzyn Waldman is to broadcasting what James Harden is to R&B music.

9. yankeesfanlen - Sep 10, 2013 at 1:17 PM

Leave John Sterling Alone!

10. cruuuzcontrol - Sep 10, 2013 at 1:35 PM

As a Met fan living in Central NJ who regularly listens to the FAN broadcasts while in the car, this is terrible news. Now I’ll need to buy a head unit with an auxiliary input to listen via the MLB app. Screw you, CBS Radio.

• bigwoody7 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:24 PM

yeah, this was planned last year by the cbs suits and the yankees. The Mets usually don’t let their radio contract go to the final days. Screw the evil empire.

11. jolink653 - Sep 10, 2013 at 1:41 PM

C’mon, John Sterling isn’t that bad…yes, he may be losing it a little bit, but you can’t say he isn’t entertaining and calls a colorful game; I grew up listening to him and I like his calls…Suzyn Waldman, on the other hand, is just awful and adds nothing to the broadcast other than her annoying accent and her ridiculous commentary about nothing of value…I wish Charlie Steiner had stuck around a little longer

• jerseyshoregiant - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:54 PM

are you 12 becaus the guy was like this when he was broadcasting Braves games.

• bigwoody7 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:27 PM

he did the Islanders and Nets games many years ago.

• jolink653 - Sep 10, 2013 at 5:07 PM

No, I’m not 12 and I have no idea how he was when he broadcasted Braves games, but he’s been an exciting broadcaster to listen to for as long as I’ve been a Yankees fan and I enjoy his style…Obviously it’s not for everyone, and when I say he’s losing it I mean that he makes some ridiculous mistakes (like getting into his home run call when the ball is caught in front of the track or clearly foul), but I’ve grown up listening to John Sterling and I’d much rather listen to him broadcast a game than actually watch it on TV

12. rickdobrydney - Sep 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Put a professional announcer or color guy in the booth with Sterling, and he would be better, he would HAVE to be . You have to remember , he is working with an amateur, and he is continually dragged down to that level. You are only as good as who you work with, and that is especially true with broadcast teams.

• jerseyshoregiant - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:56 PM

it’s tough to be better when you fail to watch the game most of the time.

• bigwoody7 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:32 PM

John does not want to be the number 2 announcer in the booth.

• bolweevils2 - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:51 AM

Who cares what he wants? I want my employer to pay me double for half the hours, but they aren’t giving me a vote on the matter.

13. purp1234 - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:04 PM

As a Yankees fan, I cannot stand The Hack and The Hag. I look forward to the interleague games against the Mets so I can listen to the game without hearing missed calls, made up calls and announcers who put themselves and their stupid catch phrases before the game.

14. makeham98 - Sep 10, 2013 at 3:09 PM

This should make Phil Mushnick’s day.

15. chill1184 - Sep 10, 2013 at 9:40 PM

Meh, gives me one more reason not to listen to WFAN and its crew of mental midgets. Currently the only reason I listen to it is for Mets and Devils games. The Knicks are on Ministry of Truth radio and for the Steelers I used the NFL mobile app.

16. tommyfroy - Sep 11, 2013 at 3:20 PM

While Sterling and Waldman are not the greatest callers of a game, they are entertaining none-the-less. I listen to some portion of another broadcast team a couple times a week and have found that many of the announcers around the league will just put me to sleep. The go on the air and call a game, but there’s no personality, just technical calls. Sterling may get a lot wrong, but it’s hard to argue he’s not entertaining.

17. aceshigh11 - Sep 11, 2013 at 5:49 PM

My Mets fan father is gonna go absolutely ballistic.

Over this, not over being a Mets fan in general.

Zing.

18. jcioffi1485 - Sep 11, 2013 at 6:53 PM

I’m 52 years old. as a kid in the early 1970′s, Sterling had his own sports talk show on 570,WMCA. He was an abrasive SOB that mocked callers that disagreed with him.

He was doing the broadcast for the ABA Nets and the Islanders for hockey. He was a brutal “homer” for both teams.

He’s as big an Ass clown now as he was back then.

19. dirtyharry1971 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Mets fans should be used to this after all these years cause they will ALWAYS be #2 and they should pick up and move like the dodgers and giants did

20. serbingood - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:06 PM

Do the math:

Bigger contract = more commercials

I can’t imagine how they could squeeze more commercials, and sponsor names into a broadcast unless it’s something like:
    Cano at bat, that Louisville Slugger looks mighty good in his hands and is available at (name) Sports Store. He takes the pitch low and for all home improvements head to Lowe’s Home Center.

I sometimes wonder how they manage to actually get a ballgame in, between the commercials.

Sterling and Waldman are OK. The ever increasing # of commercials and sponsor names aren’t.

21. Harry Kanigel - Oct 26, 2013 at 3:44 PM

I’ve been listening to Yankees games since 1961 when Mel Allen was lead broadcaster. I think John Sterling is a bloviating blowhard and completely unprofessional. He was graced with a fine voice, which only serves to conceal, for a short time, what an absurdity he is as a play-by-play man for the team that has been emblematic of class in professional sports. From a strictly technical standpoint, Sterling is inept, often getting calls wrong and not really painting the scene as it unfolds.

Managers get easier path to Cooperstown
  1. H. Street (3476)