Sep 11, 2013, 3:25 PM EST
Monday night, as the Pirates clinched their first winning season since 1992 by beating the Rangers in Texas, a lifelong Pirates fan at the game decided to run onto the field.
Ryan Matthew Rock was arrested, spent the night in jail, and now faces the possibility of a $2,000 fine and/or more jail time. Michael Sanserino of the Pittsburgh Post Gazette tells the rest of Rock’s story:
Rock, who moved to Dallas a little more than three years ago and works as a bartender, said he got the idea to run on the field in the eighth inning. He jokingly posted a picture to his Facebook page from his first-base line seats, saying, “This is one inning before I get arrested for jumping on the field.”
His friend, one of 13 Rangers fans who tagged along, tried to call his bluff. “My friend saw that and was like, ‘You won’t do that,’ ” Rock said. “A challenge is a challenge.”
And now, after spending the night in jail instead of celebrating his favorite team finally having a winning season? “I was showing my age a little bit,” he said. “And my stupidity.”
The lesson to be learned here? Don’t go on Facebook.
- Cliff Pennington avoids arbitration, agrees to $3.275 million deal with D’Backs 3
- Dan Uggla played through undiagnosed concussion in 2014 27
- The aura of Derek Jeter was present at the Pinstripe Bowl 44
- UPDATE: Starlin Castro free after being questioned about shooting in Dominican Republic 62
- Report: Hiroki Kuroda is going back to Japan 26
- Merry Christmas from HBT! 74
- THE YEAR IN REVIEW: HBT’s most commented-upon stories of the year 86
- The Yankees are treating Alex Rodriguez differently than they treated Derek Jeter. So what? 40