Sep 11, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Yankees rookie catcher Austin Romine took a hard foul ball off the mark yesterday and afterward manager Joe Girardi said: “He’s probably got a concussion.”
Girardi told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that “he was a little dizzy” and “he got nauseous” after initially remaining in the game following the passing of some early tests.
Romine would join a startlingly long list of catchers to have concussions this season, several of whom suffered their brain injuries from similar foul balls within the past month. Given the unpredictable nature of brain injuries Romine would likely miss the remainder of the season.
- Giancarlo Stanton sends the Marlins to victory with a walk-off grand slam 3
- Jason Bartlett will retire after 10 years in the big leagues 3
- Pirates acquire Ike Davis in a trade with the Mets 36
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 49
- VIDEO: The Yankees turned a triple play against the Rays 24
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (167)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (96)