Sep 11, 2013, 10:47 AM EDT
Yankees rookie catcher Austin Romine took a hard foul ball off the mark yesterday and afterward manager Joe Girardi said: “He’s probably got a concussion.”
Girardi told Andy McCullough of the Newark Star Ledger that “he was a little dizzy” and “he got nauseous” after initially remaining in the game following the passing of some early tests.
Romine would join a startlingly long list of catchers to have concussions this season, several of whom suffered their brain injuries from similar foul balls within the past month. Given the unpredictable nature of brain injuries Romine would likely miss the remainder of the season.
- The dizzying intellect of Tom Glavine 9
- Verducci: baseball should think about an “illegal defense” rule to combat shifts 143
- Chase Headley plays the hero in his first game in pinstripes 29
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 29
- Rockies place Troy Tulowitzki on the disabled list 18
- Rob Manfred “heavily favored” to be Bud Selig’s replacement 29
- Yankees acquire Chase Headley from Padres 108
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 39