Sep 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Yankees catcher Austin Romine suffered what manager Joe Girardi described as a “slight concussion” after he was hit in the mask by a foul tip on Tuesday night, but he’s already making some progress.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Girardi is hopeful that Romine will be able to return this weekend against the Red Sox. However, he’ll have to pass an ImPACT concussion test in order to meet that goal.
“Every day I keep waking up it’s a lot better,” Romine said before his teammates completed a four-game series with the Orioles on Thursday. “I’m not feeling as much of the symptoms. The headache’s gone. My neck’s not sore. But there’s still some stuff I need to take care of.”
Romine, 24, is batting just .207/.255/.296 with one home run and 10 RBI in 60 games this season. He was in a 3-for-27 slide prior the concussion. Chris Stewart and J.R. Murphy are currently handling catching duties.
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? 60
- John Hart to be named Braves President of Baseball Operations 3
- No, Ned Yost didn’t “out-manage” Bruce Bochy. His players played better 69
- At least Hunter Strickland entertained us last night 35
- Royals even up World Series with 7-2 Game 2 victory 38
- Craig Kimbrel wins Trevor Hoffman Award; Greg Holland gets Mariano Rivera Award 9
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 10
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 11
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (129)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The Royals asked a fan in Marlins gear to change his shirt last night. He refused. (86)