Sep 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Yankees catcher Austin Romine suffered what manager Joe Girardi described as a “slight concussion” after he was hit in the mask by a foul tip on Tuesday night, but he’s already making some progress.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Girardi is hopeful that Romine will be able to return this weekend against the Red Sox. However, he’ll have to pass an ImPACT concussion test in order to meet that goal.
“Every day I keep waking up it’s a lot better,” Romine said before his teammates completed a four-game series with the Orioles on Thursday. “I’m not feeling as much of the symptoms. The headache’s gone. My neck’s not sore. But there’s still some stuff I need to take care of.”
Romine, 24, is batting just .207/.255/.296 with one home run and 10 RBI in 60 games this season. He was in a 3-for-27 slide prior the concussion. Chris Stewart and J.R. Murphy are currently handling catching duties.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (90)