Sep 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
Yankees catcher Austin Romine suffered what manager Joe Girardi described as a “slight concussion” after he was hit in the mask by a foul tip on Tuesday night, but he’s already making some progress.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Girardi is hopeful that Romine will be able to return this weekend against the Red Sox. However, he’ll have to pass an ImPACT concussion test in order to meet that goal.
“Every day I keep waking up it’s a lot better,” Romine said before his teammates completed a four-game series with the Orioles on Thursday. “I’m not feeling as much of the symptoms. The headache’s gone. My neck’s not sore. But there’s still some stuff I need to take care of.”
Romine, 24, is batting just .207/.255/.296 with one home run and 10 RBI in 60 games this season. He was in a 3-for-27 slide prior the concussion. Chris Stewart and J.R. Murphy are currently handling catching duties.
- Troy Tulowitzki trade between the Rockies and Mets is “not happening” 13
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 30
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 17
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 15
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 143
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (143)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)