Sep 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
Yankees catcher Austin Romine suffered what manager Joe Girardi described as a “slight concussion” after he was hit in the mask by a foul tip on Tuesday night, but he’s already making some progress.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Girardi is hopeful that Romine will be able to return this weekend against the Red Sox. However, he’ll have to pass an ImPACT concussion test in order to meet that goal.
“Every day I keep waking up it’s a lot better,” Romine said before his teammates completed a four-game series with the Orioles on Thursday. “I’m not feeling as much of the symptoms. The headache’s gone. My neck’s not sore. But there’s still some stuff I need to take care of.”
Romine, 24, is batting just .207/.255/.296 with one home run and 10 RBI in 60 games this season. He was in a 3-for-27 slide prior the concussion. Chris Stewart and J.R. Murphy are currently handling catching duties.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)