Sep 12, 2013, 7:40 PM EST
Yankees catcher Austin Romine suffered what manager Joe Girardi described as a “slight concussion” after he was hit in the mask by a foul tip on Tuesday night, but he’s already making some progress.
According to Andy McCullough of the Newark Star-Ledger, Girardi is hopeful that Romine will be able to return this weekend against the Red Sox. However, he’ll have to pass an ImPACT concussion test in order to meet that goal.
“Every day I keep waking up it’s a lot better,” Romine said before his teammates completed a four-game series with the Orioles on Thursday. “I’m not feeling as much of the symptoms. The headache’s gone. My neck’s not sore. But there’s still some stuff I need to take care of.”
Romine, 24, is batting just .207/.255/.296 with one home run and 10 RBI in 60 games this season. He was in a 3-for-27 slide prior the concussion. Chris Stewart and J.R. Murphy are currently handling catching duties.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 7
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 295
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 51
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (295)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Report: The Yankees were “fuming” at how A-Rod handled his early arrival to spring training (114)
- Cuban prospect Yoan Moncada reportedly signs with the Red Sox for $31.5 million, plus $31.5 million in penalties (106)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)