Bobby Valentine not backing down from his “the Yankees weren’t around following 9/11″ comments

Sep 12, 2013, 8:23 AM EDT

Bobby Valentine Mets

Yesterday Bobby Valentine decided it was appropriate to call out the Yankees for allegedly not being as out-in-the-community as the Mets were following the 9/11 attacks. Later in the day Yankees president Randy Levine fired back, as reported at ESPN New York:

“Bobby Valentine should know better than to be pointing fingers on a day like today. Today is a day of reflection and prayer. The Yankees, as has been well documented, visited Ground Zero, the Armory, the Javits Center, St. Vincent’s Hospital and many other places during that time. We continue to honor the 9/11 victims and responders. On this day, he would have been better to have kept his thoughts to himself rather than seeking credit, which is very sad to me.”

This morning Bobby V. was on the Erik Kuselias show on the NBC Radio Network. He is not backing down. He responded to Levine’s comments thusly:

For those of you who can’t play the audio:

OK. I have no idea what Valentine is trying to prove here. No one has made any attempt whatsoever to undersell or criticize anything he or the Mets did after 9/11. No one to my knowledge has attempted to aggrandize what the Yankees did at the Mets expense. That Valentine thinks it’s necessary, 12 years later, to play this game is a mystery. He should drop it.

1. Stacey - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:30 AM

“All I remember is people asking for the Yankees and me making excuses for them not being there.”

Maybe this is what set him off all those years ago. Can you imagine being the manager of a baseball team in a major city that just had an unspeakable tragedy occur and having to deal with people wanting the other baseball team’s personnel comforting them instead of you?

No wonder he’s bitter.

• daviddmsvcp - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM

If Valentine is going to criticize the 2001 Yankees for something, how about losing the World Series?

2. bosoxfan15 - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Valentine has sunk to a new low. He’s a punch line in any city he has coached in. Farrell has taken a team with arguably less talent and did a complete 180.

• Old Gator - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:39 PM

Yep. But what fascinates me most, even as Valentine mints himself his Certificate of Upgrade to Complete Schmuck, is that a few years ago Scrooge McLoria had an opportunity to hire a buffoon of this magnitude to manage the Feesh – and failed to do so. I don’t understand it.

• pastabelly - Sep 12, 2013 at 4:55 PM

The 2013 Red Sox are a healthier, deeper, and more talented team than the 2012 team. Valentine was an awful manager, but give credit to the players. Farrell has a lights out closer, a team leading the league in runs, and a rotation of Buchholz, Lester, Peavy, Lackey, and Doubront/Dempster.

Valentine has gone from being a joke of a manager to being an all around joke of a person.

• Glenn - Sep 12, 2013 at 6:21 PM

Farrell has had his share of luck with personnel changes and much going right this year after everything went wrong from September 2011 through 2012 for the Sox. I’m guessing that he is good with a clubhouse and looks a heck of a lot better after following Valentine. That said, Farrell is not a very good game manager. The fans of Toronto probably agree.

3. bosoxfan15 - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM

Good point Stace!

4. stackers1 - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:33 AM

What a jackwagon!

5. stoutfiles - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:36 AM

Valentine is a hack, who cares what he thinks.

6. Liam - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Sounds like a loveless relationship between Levine and My Bobby Valentine.

7. If the Shoe Fits - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:45 AM

Congrats Bobby V.

You just made Randy Levine look like a reasonable, rational, thoughtful human being in comparison. It takes an incredibly obtuse jackass to be able make that happen.

• Alex K - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:24 AM

Couldn’t agree more. I guess Bobby V. is that special kind of jackass that can make everyone seem okay by comparison.

8. rickdobrydney - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Dumb stupid heartless ass, Valentine is —- If this doesn’t prove it for all time, nothing will—-

9. DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM

He’s usually so calm and level headed….I wonder what happened?

10. largebill - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:20 AM

I realize Bobby Valentine has always been an arrogant jerk, but this is a step too far which makes me wonder if he has something going on medically. I’m not saying he has dementia or anything else. Just wondering if there is some explanation for saying something so inflammatory. I know when my dad’s diabetes was diagnosed the doctors said he likely had it for sometime and failing to treat it may have caused severe mood swings. If a guy is a jerk to start with then adding a chemical imbalance could remove whatever self-control exists.

11. mybrunoblog - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:26 AM

I’ve met Valentine a couple of times. He’s got a good sense of humor and is charismatic. Contrary to what some believe he’s easy to like (that said I’ve never worked for him). His comments about 9-11 shocked me. What an a@-hole. Maybe old age is making him grumpy.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:53 AM

I’m sure that, anecdotally, he’s a perfectly charming, friendly person, but his record of saying oafish, offensive things is just way too long to overlook.

• bigharold - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:08 AM

My be old age and the realization of his growing irrelevance?

One would think that after his RS flame out he’d work towards bolstering his image rather the reenforcing the negative impressions he generated in Boston. Regardless it takes a special kind of stupid to press a bad position on such a sensitive subject.

12. churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:34 AM

Good to see Bobby V uses the same arguing style as my wife, the “if I wasn’t there to see it, it obviously didn’t happen” shtick. Oh, and here’s a recap of what the Yanks did courtesy of deadspin (warning dust storms may be approaching):

So what did the Yankees do for New York City in the days following September 11th, besides a team donation of $1 million, further donations from individual players (which they specifically said would not be publicized in the media), hosting a blood drive, hosting a memorial service, making the stadium locker rooms available to police, fire, and EMT workers, and donating food, clothing, and equipment to personnel working at Ground Zero and families of the victims?

“To see the police and the firemen, it was nice,” Rivera said. “Before they came to Yankee Stadium to see the Yankees. This time we went there to see them. It was rough. I told them they can do it. You guys are the men.'”

“It was good to see the people, the volunteers and the firemen and the police,” Jeter said. “They were asking for autographs and you felt like you should be asking for their autographs.”

They visited a hospital that was treating injured victims.

At St. Vincents, manager Joe Torre said, an injured fireman approached him. The man initially thought his leg had been broken after a 15-foot fall through a pile of debris. But he was thrilled when the X-rays were negative, meaning he could return to the site, although he was clearly hurting.

“He wanted to rub [coach Don] Zimmer’s head,” Torre said. “He came up and said, ‘I want to rub your head like Jeter does.’ ”

They visited the Park Avenue Armory, where people gathered to await news of missing family members.

A paramedic introduced Bernie Williams to an older lady. Williams didn’t get her name, and wasn’t even sure if she liked baseball — or even knew who he was.

“What can you say at a time like that?” Williams said. “The only thing I could think of was, ‘You look like you need a hug.’ ”

So, Williams held the stranger, who began to cry.

The boy was 5 years old, 6 at the most.

His eyes were wide, yet red from crying, when he handed Paul O’Neill a Beanie Baby to sign.

O’Neill returned the autograph; something he had done thousands of times, but this time it was different.

The boy said “thank you,” then looked at the cast on O’Neill’s foot and said, “I hope you feel better soon.”

O’Neill paused, as if for dramatic effect, then quietly said, “And, he just lost one of his parents.”

The next day, the Yankees flew to Chicago for the start of their road trip.

• stex52 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:57 AM

Church, thanks for what you wrote and it is good to know. I really didn’t doubt that the Yankees were involved. But it really doesn’t matter so much. The real deal here is that Valentine would use the closest thing this country has to a national day of mourning to call attention to himself and how special he is.

I always thought he was just a poor manager and a bit of a clown. But there is a side to him that is really despicable.

• Bob Loblaw - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:45 PM

“On Sept. 15, they chartered three vans and visited the Javits Center, a staging area for volunteers and rescue workers.”

Is it possible that Valentine is talking about the day of 9/11 and the couple of days after 9/11? Like the 12-14? Even if he is, wouldn’t the Yankees team have been stuck in Chicago those days since air travel was shut down for almost a week?

I think Valentine is as big an asshole as anybody for bringing this kind of petty nonsense up on a day like 9/11. And even if what I am asking above is true, it still reeks of insecurity that he has to make himself feel better by putting down someone else.

But common sense has to dictate to him that the Yankees were preparing to play a road game in Chicago that night, and since they were off the day before, couldn’t they have possibly spent the night of Monday, 9/10 in Chicago? and if they did, Bobby, then wouldn’t they have been stuck in Chicago grounded like the rest of the country for at least a few days when all air traffic was shut down?

So any way you look at it, Valentine is an idiot and an asshole. But technically speaking, I guess you could probably say he may have been right, at least for the couple days after, but he doesn’t say that the Yankees may have been out of town at the time, which is why they “weren’t around”.

Either way…he’s still a dick.

• zackd2 - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:19 PM

Bobby specifically mentioned dates of 9/11-9/21. So yeah he’s still wrong.

13. zackd2 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:36 AM

This is the exact opposite of charity work and good deeds. It’s one thing to get publicity for a cause that needs funding for research or medical bills, but this? This is purely “look at me” over a decade after the fact. Sports helped us heal and get back to everyday life after 9/11, but 9/11 was not and will never be about the Mets or Yankees or celebrities or who donated what – it will always be about our loved ones who were taken from us that day, the first responders from all over who ran into danger, and a nation coming together as one.

Note to Boston sports teams: Hopefully no player/manager opens their mouth and says stuff equally stupid ten years from now regarding the Boston marathon bombing

14. plmathfoto - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:02 AM

Anyone think about it this way, if this really was the case, the absolute worst time to bring this up would have been at the time of the tragedies. Is it at all possible that now is a better time to bring it up, and responding back to Levine’s denial is appropriate by the way if he’s right. Not saying he is or isn’t, but it sure did look like the Mets guys were on the front line when this happened and the Yankees guys appeared to be doing photo ops from watching footage from back then.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

You made this post almost thirty minutes after mine. Go reread what I wrote. If you think the Yanks were only doing this for PR purposes, then fuck off. As someone who was in the city that day, the one thing every emergency service said was stay the hell away unless you were needed (i.e doctor/emt/firemen/cop/etc) and even then good luck getting around with all public transportation shut down.

• bigharold - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:26 AM

” Is it at all possible that now is a better time to bring it up, and responding back to Levine’s denial is appropriate by the way if he’s right. ”

No, .. it isn’t possible. First, to what end? What is the point of quantifying or qualifying the extent of Yankees versus Mets contributions during that period? The very thought of it is tasteless. Second, he’s wrong, as was pointed out above. Lastly, even if he had a point in general it’s tacky to congratulate oneself for doing the right thing. In this circumstance it’s shameful.

As a Yankee fan I took a certain amount of interest in some of the foolish things he did. I actually thought the one time he put on a disguise and came back into the dugout after being tossed from a game was hilarious. I was even surprised with the swiftness of his demise in Boston. But, this latest episode put him over the top. He’s a narcissistic preening ass of epic proportions.

Enjoy obscurity Bobby. Maybe in a few years you can start the process to convince people that you invented soup to go along with your invention of the wrap.

15. 18thstreet - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Some of us (Red Sox fans) were livid about the choice of Bobby Valentine to manage the team in 2012. I think I accepted the fact that managers always get fired when teams dramatically underperform, as the 2011 Sox did. And even though Francona was a terrific manager (verified by this performance in Cleveland this year), it made sense to fire the guy. I hated it, but that’s how these things work.

But I watched ESPN Sunday Night Baseball, and so I really believed that Valentine was an unacceptable replacement. He’s an idiot. I wish I had a more articulate way to express it. But that’s the problem: he’s an idiot. I didn’t believe he got any smarter with the door closed and the microphones off than he was on camera. Whatever his alleged strengths as a manager (I believe bullpen management was supposed to be one), they were outweighed by the obvious weaknesses. When he called out Youkilis at the beginning of the year — for not caring enough! — his weaknesses were confirmed: he’s an idiot.

And now, as then, I’m far more annoyed at those who would hire him than the man himself.

• largebill - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:58 PM

18thstreet,

It did appear that Valentine was hired sort of as a form of punishment for the Red Sox players. There were some embarrassing things the previous year. When they were winning the antics were laughed about and said to show the were having fun, etc. When losing those same type behaviors get pointed at as the reason.

16. rcali - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:15 AM

People do hate to here the truth in this country if it offends them. I know, I know, thumbs down. Proves my point.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:15 PM

Which part of what Valentine said about the Yanks is true? People need to knock off this George Costanza “It’s not a lie if you believe it” bullshit. It’s how we end up with the climate change deniers, the anti-vaccine crowd, and the states of TX and LA teaching creation science in the classroom.

• daburghdabest - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:13 PM

The only thing the thumbs down (which I take it you’re used to getting since they sting you so much that you’re that aware of them) prove is how big of an idiot you are.

17. longhammer24 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:21 AM

The Yankees were on the road, playing in Seattle. Didn’t airports get shut down?

18. drewsylvania - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM

Bobby’s Twitter now says: “Wrong thing to say at the wrong time vs prey if anyone was offended”.

19. jonathanconverse - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:43 AM

My Uncle Gavin just got a stunning red Mitsubishi Lancer from only workin part time on a pc. his comment is here …. http:\\­g­o­O­.gl/UODufm

20. alexb64 - Sep 12, 2013 at 12:43 PM

I don’t think Valentine could’ve made himself look any worse with this thing. First he takes what is arguably the most somber anniversary in this nation’s history & tries to make it about taking credit for being front & center in, I don’t really know, being AROUND at the time? Regardless of what he was trying to say, it was making 9/11 about HIM. Then the next day he follows this up by retorting “Well show me the photos”, which at least to me makes it sound like 9/11 was a photo-op for him. If he’s that aware of how many pictures there are of him & his team, that’s not a very humble argument. Those visits & inviting families of the dead & responders to stadiums wasn’t supposed to be photo-ops, it was supposed to be about those people. I think unintentionally Bobby Valentine really exposed himself for who he really is, which is a pretty self-centered jerk.

21. eohara916 - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Bobby Valentine is a very consistent man! ONCE AN ASSHOLE ALWAYS AN ASSHOLE! His foot is permanently implanted in his mouth. Leave 9/11 alone with your stupid, foolish comments.

22. punksinplay - Sep 12, 2013 at 1:57 PM

Valentine is a arrogant ass most times and I think these comments were self serving and inappropriate but I lived in NY and worked down at Ground Zero for 6 months after 9/11 and the fact of the matter is that Bobby is right. Aside from a few appearances here and there, the Yankees were mostly out of sight in the immediate aftermath.

23. vipod4ever - Sep 12, 2013 at 5:18 PM

Yankees will always be there for NYC. Great class this year for the Marathon tragedy – signed, your mortal enemy, a Red Sox fan.

24. hockeyflow33 - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Scumbag

25. stoutfiles - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Neh, I never predicted it till this season when he got injured right away. This is honestly the end of Jeter; he is much too old and injury prone to be effective anymore. I’m sure the Yankees will still pay him a fortune though to limp out there for a farewell tour.

26. stoutfiles - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:39 AM

Ah crap, wrong thread lol. Let us edit/delete our comments! This is 2013!

27. apkyletexas - Sep 12, 2013 at 8:50 AM

The fact that this is 2013 should mean you no longer have to pay any attention to which thread you are responding to?

28. largebill - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:14 AM

I believe his reference to the year is a way of saying that by now the ability to edit a comment should be available. I have no idea how someone makes a comment about a different article than the one you’re reading. Personally, I try to avoid spelling errors, but we all make mistakes (especially when coffee level is too low or alcohol level is too high) and it would be nice to be able to click an “edit” button and fix an error.

29. cur68 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:18 AM

If you’re doing your commenting on a phone its actually kind of easy to do. Combination of fat fingers and small area. Besides, he’s hardly the first person to do this.

30. kalinedrive - Sep 12, 2013 at 3:51 PM

The problem with allowing edits is that people go back and change what they posted after getting blowback or rethinking or regretting what they said. Then they deny having said it in the first place, and try to change the record.

Not that it’s so important to have a record, but then again it’s not that important to change “their” to “there” either.

31. indaburg - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:35 AM

Time for a Special Valentine? Who let him out of his cage?

32. cur68 - Sep 12, 2013 at 11:42 AM

He’s been so quiet for so long, I thought we’d cured him. Alas.

Where DID I leave the effin blow gun…?

33. indaburg - Sep 12, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Next to the paint gun.

Who's outside looking in on playoffs?
  1. R. Castillo (2495)