Brett Gardner exits game with left oblique strain

Sep 12, 2013, 9:18 PM EDT

Brett Gardner Getty Getty Images

UPDATE: Anthony McCarron of the New York Daily News passes along word that Gardner indeed left the game with a left oblique strain. That’s not good.

8:55 p.m. ET: This isn’t what the Yankees need. According to Jack Curry of YES Network, Brett Gardner left tonight’s game against the Orioles in the first inning with an apparent injury.

Gardner led off the game and struck out looking before being replaced by Curtis Granderson in center field in the bottom half of the inning. Curry notes that the speedy outfielder grabbed at his left side after the check-swing strike three, which raises the possibility of an oblique injury. That would obviously be a tough injury at this point of the season, but we should know more soon.

Gardner, 30, is batting .273/.344/.416 with eight home runs, 52 RBI and 24 stolen bases in 145 games this season.

1. Kevin S. - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:20 PM

Are you fucking kidding me? Just put Cano in bubble wrap now, please.

• rbj1 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:32 PM

Heh. Just said the same thing over at bronxbanter. Crazy season, and they’re still in it.

• bigharold - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:30 AM

“Just put Cano in bubble wrap now, please.”

Hey, life is a contact sport, .. like baseball.

“This isn’t what the Yankees need.”

Yeah but all things considered should they’ve expected anything less?

If the Yankees get into the postseason Girardi is the AL manager of the yar!

2. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM

its odd he seemed fine. Seems as if they just break by walking up too an at bat

3. bosoxfan15 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:31 PM

I heard the bat boy will be going on the DL with back spasms. I think losing Gardner for any length of time effectively ends the Yanks chances of making the post season.

4. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:35 PM

on another subject. What happend to Stewart’s at bat? how does that happen? umpires batting coach all the manager’s players ect. how did they just all agree that he was K’d after just two strikes? confusing….wierd Brian Farr by the Yankees

5. proudlycanadian - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:42 PM

Gloom, but not quite doom.

• aceshigh11 - Sep 12, 2013 at 9:56 PM

No. THIS is definitely doom.

• lazlosother - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:24 PM

Everyone keeps saying that, and they keep creeping closer to a wildcard spot. Definitely the weirdest season I can remember.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 12, 2013 at 10:33 PM

The Rays won and the Indians are probably going to win, so the Yankees will not creep any closer to the Wildcard position today.

• bigharold - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:38 AM

“.. the Yankees will not creep any closer to the Wildcard position today.”

Perhaps but they have their destiny in their own hands and 9 of their remaining game are against teams that are completely out of it, .. including 3 against the the Astros.

Their weekend against the RS and then the games against the Rays will likely make or break their season

As a Yankee fan I say “bring it on!”. Win lose or draw it’s been an interesting season.

• nbjays - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:33 AM

You just jinxed them, Harold. They will hold their own against the Sox and Rays only to be swept by the Astros and miss the postseason by a game.

6. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:25 AM

Since the rangers didn’t play they did technically get a half game closer to the top spot. So yes creeping closer

7. zzalapski - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:33 AM

You know, Bernie Williams never officially retired…

8. theskinsman - Sep 13, 2013 at 4:14 AM

What would be better, watching the Yanks eke into the last wildcard spot and get blown out of the playoffs , or miss the playoffs and use that as the reason to go into full rebuild mode?

9. joshuabasham459 - Sep 13, 2013 at 7:34 AM

Since I started fre+lancing I’ve been bringing in $90 bucks/h… I sit at home and i am doing my work from my laptop. The best thing is that i get more time to spent with my family and with my kids and in the same time i can earn enough to support them… You can do it too. Start here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http:\\q­ℛ­.net/kW2a

10. stackers1 - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:17 AM

Since I started fre+lancing I’ve been bringing in $90 bucks

Now, I’m depressed, I gained weight, my face broke out, I’m nauseous, I’m constipated, my feet swelled, my gums are bleedin’, my sinuses are clogged, I got heartburn, I’m cranky and I have gas. … What should I do?

• nbjays - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I hear the Yankees need a shortstop (and several other players)…

11. mazblast - Sep 15, 2013 at 12:45 PM

The Yankees have had so many injuries this year that I’m starting to think they hired the Mets’ crack training and medical staff.

Colby-on-Colby crime in Toronto