Sep 12, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Here’s some discouraging news for the Orioles as they attempt to hang around in the American League Wild Card race.
According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, Darren O’Day was sent for tests today to determine the cause of soreness and numbness in the index and middle fingers of his pitching hand. Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that the issue initially cropped up “one to two weeks ago,” but has become more frequent of late.
O’Day had both his hand and elbow tested as doctors attempt to find out whether the issue is vascular, structural, or nerve related. The sidearmer will not travel with the team to Toronto later tonight, but depending upon the diagnosis, Showalter didn’t rule out the possibility that he could rejoin the team at some point during their road trip.
O’Day has been an important cog in the Orioles’ bullpen over the past two seasons, posting a 2.28 ERA and 126/28 K/BB ratio in 126 1/3 innings. That’s hard to replace.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 82
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (161)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (136)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)