Sep 12, 2013, 6:25 PM EST
Here’s some discouraging news for the Orioles as they attempt to hang around in the American League Wild Card race.
According to Roch Kubatko of MASNSports.com, Darren O’Day was sent for tests today to determine the cause of soreness and numbness in the index and middle fingers of his pitching hand. Orioles manager Buck Showalter said that the issue initially cropped up “one to two weeks ago,” but has become more frequent of late.
O’Day had both his hand and elbow tested as doctors attempt to find out whether the issue is vascular, structural, or nerve related. The sidearmer will not travel with the team to Toronto later tonight, but depending upon the diagnosis, Showalter didn’t rule out the possibility that he could rejoin the team at some point during their road trip.
O’Day has been an important cog in the Orioles’ bullpen over the past two seasons, posting a 2.28 ERA and 126/28 K/BB ratio in 126 1/3 innings. That’s hard to replace.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 82
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 31
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 144
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)