Sep 12, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
Grant Brisbee pretty ably sums up the future of Derek Jeter at shortstop for the New York Yankees. Specifically, that he has none. That even if he exercises his player option for next year and comes back it’s likely to be as the Yankees DH/utility guy because he’ll be 40 and shortstops just don’t play at 40.
His analogy is a good one: Jeter is VHS and Brendan Ryan (or whoever else the Yankees get t play short) is Blu Ray. Jeter is a damn fine movie — a much better one than Ryan is — but as we’ve all learned over the past 15 years or so, you’ll watch a crappy movie on DVD over a good movie on VHS almost every time. Brisbee’s kicker:
It seems obvious, but Jeter’s injury is making it close to official. Even if Jeter exercises his player option, the Yankees are going to dissuade him politely from thoughts of shortstop. And then he’ll hit .300/.380/.480 as a DH to help the Yankees to another absurd playoff run (Rich Harden: 10-2, 2.33 ERA). . We’ve seen the last of Jeter at shortstop. There’s no way the Yankees are going back to VHS.
Seems about right.
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 12
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 14
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Pete Rose will be at the All-Star Game in Cincinnati this year 28
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)