Sep 12, 2013, 11:03 AM EST
Grant Brisbee pretty ably sums up the future of Derek Jeter at shortstop for the New York Yankees. Specifically, that he has none. That even if he exercises his player option for next year and comes back it’s likely to be as the Yankees DH/utility guy because he’ll be 40 and shortstops just don’t play at 40.
His analogy is a good one: Jeter is VHS and Brendan Ryan (or whoever else the Yankees get t play short) is Blu Ray. Jeter is a damn fine movie — a much better one than Ryan is — but as we’ve all learned over the past 15 years or so, you’ll watch a crappy movie on DVD over a good movie on VHS almost every time. Brisbee’s kicker:
It seems obvious, but Jeter’s injury is making it close to official. Even if Jeter exercises his player option, the Yankees are going to dissuade him politely from thoughts of shortstop. And then he’ll hit .300/.380/.480 as a DH to help the Yankees to another absurd playoff run (Rich Harden: 10-2, 2.33 ERA). . We’ve seen the last of Jeter at shortstop. There’s no way the Yankees are going back to VHS.
Seems about right.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 77
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 160
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 34
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (160)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)