Sep 12, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT
Grant Brisbee pretty ably sums up the future of Derek Jeter at shortstop for the New York Yankees. Specifically, that he has none. That even if he exercises his player option for next year and comes back it’s likely to be as the Yankees DH/utility guy because he’ll be 40 and shortstops just don’t play at 40.
His analogy is a good one: Jeter is VHS and Brendan Ryan (or whoever else the Yankees get t play short) is Blu Ray. Jeter is a damn fine movie — a much better one than Ryan is — but as we’ve all learned over the past 15 years or so, you’ll watch a crappy movie on DVD over a good movie on VHS almost every time. Brisbee’s kicker:
It seems obvious, but Jeter’s injury is making it close to official. Even if Jeter exercises his player option, the Yankees are going to dissuade him politely from thoughts of shortstop. And then he’ll hit .300/.380/.480 as a DH to help the Yankees to another absurd playoff run (Rich Harden: 10-2, 2.33 ERA). . We’ve seen the last of Jeter at shortstop. There’s no way the Yankees are going back to VHS.
Seems about right.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)