Edwin Encarnacion hopes to return from wrist injury this weekend

Sep 12, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT

Edwin Encarnacion AP AP

Blue Jays manager John Gibbons suggested yesterday that Edwin Encarnacion could be shut down due to a sprained left wrist, but they are trying to avoid that scenario at the moment.

Gregor Chisholm of MLB.com reports that Encarnacion hit off a tee today and said that his wrist feels a lot better now that it did on Sunday and Monday. He’s scheduled to take batting practice tomorrow and could return this weekend against the Orioles if all goes well.

The Blue Jays sit at 67-78 on the year, so they are basically playing out the string at this point, but there is incentive for Encarnacion to make it back for the final couple of weeks of the season. The 30-year-old is four home runs away from his second straight 40-homer campaign.

1. proudlycanadian - Sep 12, 2013 at 7:46 PM

That is good news. It has been a bit difficult without Encarnacion, considering that they are also without Bautista, Melky, Rasmus and Izturis. Rasmus is expected to come off the DL this weekend.

2. jaysfan64 - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:25 AM

Although we all would like to see Edwin get his 40 HR, the Jays braintrust needs to remember his long history of problems with that left wrist and play it smart..

3. buffalo65 - Sep 13, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Shut him down.

4. joshuabasham459 - Sep 13, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Since I started fre+lancing I’ve been bringing in $90 bucks/h… I sit at home and i am doing my work from my laptop. The best thing is that i get more time to spent with my family and with my kids and in the same time i can earn enough to support them… You can do it too. Start here>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>http:\\q­ℛ­.net/kW2a

5. spacemaker101 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:45 AM

Don’t shut him down I’m trying to win fantasy and he’s my 1st baseman!!! Haha but forreal dudes a baller!! 2nd straight 40 hr season is special tho.. Don’t get hurt!

Who are the favorites for Rookie of the Year?
  1. R. Castillo (3681)