Sep 12, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Just over a week ago, Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik suggested that Eric Wedge will be back as the Mariners’ manager next year. A talk radio host in Seattle, however, is hearing differently:
I have it on pretty good authority that Eric Wedge will not be back.
— Steve Sandmeyer (@SteveSandmeyer) September 12, 2013
Now, take that with a big grain of salt, as there have been an awful lot of these sorts of blind reports from talk radio guys over the years that have not been borne out.
That said: what if Jack Zduriencik himself is on the way out? If so, his endorsement of Wedge may not be worth all that much. And given how poorly the Mariners have played and how uninspiring they have been for the past couple of years, it’s not at all clear to me why we should assume either the general manager or the manager should be back.
- Madison Bumgarner delivers a shutout as Giants roll past Pirates in NL Wild Card Game 0
- Angels announce ALDS rotation: Jered Weaver in Game 1, Matt Shoemaker for Game 2 2
- The beauty of belief 42
- MLB to test new pace-of-play rules in the Arizona Fall League — including a pitch clock 44
- Playoff Reset: The National League Wild Card Game 15
- Video: Salvador Perez walks off Royals in Wild Card Game 3
- Small ball prevails … in a 9-8 game 25
- Royals complete thrilling comeback to defeat A’s in the American League Wild Card Game 75
- Hunter Pence dropped a bunch of F-bombs in his postgame speech. Good. (116)
- Barry Bonds discovered to be “glassing” — it’s just as bad as you think (90)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (85)
- Ned Yost on the sixth inning and his bullpen usage: “its just one of those things” (81)
- Previewing the 2014 Playoffs (80)