Sep 12, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Just over a week ago, Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik suggested that Eric Wedge will be back as the Mariners’ manager next year. A talk radio host in Seattle, however, is hearing differently:
I have it on pretty good authority that Eric Wedge will not be back.
— Steve Sandmeyer (@SteveSandmeyer) September 12, 2013
Now, take that with a big grain of salt, as there have been an awful lot of these sorts of blind reports from talk radio guys over the years that have not been borne out.
That said: what if Jack Zduriencik himself is on the way out? If so, his endorsement of Wedge may not be worth all that much. And given how poorly the Mariners have played and how uninspiring they have been for the past couple of years, it’s not at all clear to me why we should assume either the general manager or the manager should be back.
- Wrigley Field — the most human park in baseball — turns 100-years-old 6
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 54
- Albert Pujols becomes 26th member of 500 home run club 39
- MLB suspends Martin Maldonado, Carlos Gomez, Travis Snider, and Russell Martin for Easter brawl 48
- “Respect the Game?” Phooey. 105