Sep 12, 2013, 12:45 PM EST
Just over a week ago, Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik suggested that Eric Wedge will be back as the Mariners’ manager next year. A talk radio host in Seattle, however, is hearing differently:
I have it on pretty good authority that Eric Wedge will not be back.
— Steve Sandmeyer (@SteveSandmeyer) September 12, 2013
Now, take that with a big grain of salt, as there have been an awful lot of these sorts of blind reports from talk radio guys over the years that have not been borne out.
That said: what if Jack Zduriencik himself is on the way out? If so, his endorsement of Wedge may not be worth all that much. And given how poorly the Mariners have played and how uninspiring they have been for the past couple of years, it’s not at all clear to me why we should assume either the general manager or the manager should be back.
- Yasiel Puig says the Cardinals are the Dodgers’ “principal rivals,” not the Giants 41
- Jayson Werth to serve five days in jail for reckless driving 47
- Keith Law’s top 100 prospects list is out 38
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 173
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 11
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 34
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 37
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 52
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (173)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (96)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (83)
- Rosenthal proposal: make relievers face more than one batter per appearance (72)