Sep 12, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Just over a week ago, Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik suggested that Eric Wedge will be back as the Mariners’ manager next year. A talk radio host in Seattle, however, is hearing differently:
I have it on pretty good authority that Eric Wedge will not be back.
— Steve Sandmeyer (@SteveSandmeyer) September 12, 2013
Now, take that with a big grain of salt, as there have been an awful lot of these sorts of blind reports from talk radio guys over the years that have not been borne out.
That said: what if Jack Zduriencik himself is on the way out? If so, his endorsement of Wedge may not be worth all that much. And given how poorly the Mariners have played and how uninspiring they have been for the past couple of years, it’s not at all clear to me why we should assume either the general manager or the manager should be back.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)