Sep 12, 2013, 12:45 PM EDT
Just over a week ago, Mariners GM Jack Zduriencik suggested that Eric Wedge will be back as the Mariners’ manager next year. A talk radio host in Seattle, however, is hearing differently:
I have it on pretty good authority that Eric Wedge will not be back.
— Steve Sandmeyer (@SteveSandmeyer) September 12, 2013
Now, take that with a big grain of salt, as there have been an awful lot of these sorts of blind reports from talk radio guys over the years that have not been borne out.
That said: what if Jack Zduriencik himself is on the way out? If so, his endorsement of Wedge may not be worth all that much. And given how poorly the Mariners have played and how uninspiring they have been for the past couple of years, it’s not at all clear to me why we should assume either the general manager or the manager should be back.
- Astros acquire Carlos Gomez and Mike Fiers from Brewers 35
- Pirates bolster bullpen, pick up Joakim Soria from Tigers 10
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 4
- The extraordinarily odd, 13-player Dodgers-Marlins-Braves trade is done 60
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers 111
- Both the Phillies and the Rangers did well in the Cole Hamels trade 72
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies 106
- Mets, Brewers call off reported Carlos Gomez trade 78
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (111)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)