Sep 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. fired manager Charlie Manuel last month, but Amaro himself won’t be taking the fall for the Phillies’ decline.
Team president David Montgomery told Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that “Ruben is our general manager” and went on to defend some of the oft-criticized decisions the GM has made recently while adding “I guess I have a broader perspective than other people do.”
Montgomery’s whole interview with Gelb is definitely worth reading, although for the increasingly large contingent of Phillies fans fed up with how the team has been run by Amaro it might ruin their day.
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 29
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 46
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 49
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 73
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)