Sep 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. fired manager Charlie Manuel last month, but Amaro himself won’t be taking the fall for the Phillies’ decline.
Team president David Montgomery told Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that “Ruben is our general manager” and went on to defend some of the oft-criticized decisions the GM has made recently while adding “I guess I have a broader perspective than other people do.”
Montgomery’s whole interview with Gelb is definitely worth reading, although for the increasingly large contingent of Phillies fans fed up with how the team has been run by Amaro it might ruin their day.
- Jose Reyes is on track to be activated Friday 3
- Dustin Pedroia given cortisone injection for sore left wrist, aiming to return Wednesday 1
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists 209
- John Farrell to get fined for being critical of instant replay 47
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 91
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (210)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (129)
- We don’t need to celebrate Barry Bonds, but we should avoid whitewashing baseball history (122)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (121)
- Must-Click Link: Yasiel Puig’s harrowing journey to the United States (95)