Sep 12, 2013, 10:15 AM EST
General manager Ruben Amaro Jr. fired manager Charlie Manuel last month, but Amaro himself won’t be taking the fall for the Phillies’ decline.
Team president David Montgomery told Matt Gelb of the Philadelphia Inquirer that “Ruben is our general manager” and went on to defend some of the oft-criticized decisions the GM has made recently while adding “I guess I have a broader perspective than other people do.”
Montgomery’s whole interview with Gelb is definitely worth reading, although for the increasingly large contingent of Phillies fans fed up with how the team has been run by Amaro it might ruin their day.
- Grant Balfour’s deal with Orioles in “serious jeopardy” due to shoulder issue 10
- Report: Rakuten will not allow Masahiro Tanaka come to the United States 62
- Mariners showing “continued interest” in Ervin Santana 10
- Happy Birthday, Ty Cobb! 89
- Dodgers re-sign left-handed reliever J.P. Howell to a two-year, $11.5 million contract 4