Sep 12, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
After watching the Dodgers strike gold with Yasiel Puig, the NL West rival Giants are trying to land the next impact bat out of Cuba.
Dionisio Soldevila of ESPNDeportes.com reports that Giants general manager Brian Sabean and special assistant Felipe Alou are currently in the Dominican Republic scouting first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu. The 26-year-old slugger will need to establish residency outside of Cuba and be unblocked by the Office of Foreign Assets Control before being declared a free agent by MLB, but speculation is that he could top the $42 million deal received by Puig.
Soldevila notes that the Red Sox also scouted Abreu today, so there promises to be plenty of competition in order to sign him, but Giants vice president Bobby Evans indicated to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com two weeks ago that the team could be willing to make a big splash on the international market.
“The risk and cost assessment has to be part of the equation,” Giants vice president Bobby Evans told me. “As for the rewards, you do look at what some of these recent high-risk signings have done. It does give you a sense of `This is the potential.’ It does give you that desire to say, `Hey, can we get the next one?’”
If the Giants were to sign Abreu, they would have to move Brandon Belt from first base to left field.
- Frank Wren fired as Braves GM, John Hart to take over on an interim basis 41
- AND DOWN THE STRETCH THEY COME! Sizing up the final week of the regular season 36
- Must-Click Link: Derek Jeter opens up. Seriously, he really does. 44
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 58
- Must-click link: Tommy Harper and the Red Sox’ racist past 56
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 34
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 8
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (123)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (107)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- Giants CEO Larry Baer thinks advertisements on uniforms are coming soon (88)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (85)