Sep 12, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
After watching the Dodgers strike gold with Yasiel Puig, the NL West rival Giants are trying to land the next impact bat out of Cuba.
Dionisio Soldevila of ESPNDeportes.com reports that Giants general manager Brian Sabean and special assistant Felipe Alou are currently in the Dominican Republic scouting first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu. The 26-year-old slugger will need to establish residency outside of Cuba and be unblocked by the Office of Foreign Assets Control before being declared a free agent by MLB, but speculation is that he could top the $42 million deal received by Puig.
Soldevila notes that the Red Sox also scouted Abreu today, so there promises to be plenty of competition in order to sign him, but Giants vice president Bobby Evans indicated to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com two weeks ago that the team could be willing to make a big splash on the international market.
“The risk and cost assessment has to be part of the equation,” Giants vice president Bobby Evans told me. “As for the rewards, you do look at what some of these recent high-risk signings have done. It does give you a sense of `This is the potential.’ It does give you that desire to say, `Hey, can we get the next one?’”
If the Giants were to sign Abreu, they would have to move Brandon Belt from first base to left field.
- Cuba’s best pitching prospect is on his way to America 17
- Will Smith suspended for eight games for the foreign substance on his arm 56
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 48
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 95
- Who really owns a home run ball? 65
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 130
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (130)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (130)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)