Sep 12, 2013, 10:39 PM EDT
After watching the Dodgers strike gold with Yasiel Puig, the NL West rival Giants are trying to land the next impact bat out of Cuba.
Dionisio Soldevila of ESPNDeportes.com reports that Giants general manager Brian Sabean and special assistant Felipe Alou are currently in the Dominican Republic scouting first baseman Jose Dariel Abreu. The 26-year-old slugger will need to establish residency outside of Cuba and be unblocked by the Office of Foreign Assets Control before being declared a free agent by MLB, but speculation is that he could top the $42 million deal received by Puig.
Soldevila notes that the Red Sox also scouted Abreu today, so there promises to be plenty of competition in order to sign him, but Giants vice president Bobby Evans indicated to Andrew Baggarly of CSNBayArea.com two weeks ago that the team could be willing to make a big splash on the international market.
“The risk and cost assessment has to be part of the equation,” Giants vice president Bobby Evans told me. “As for the rewards, you do look at what some of these recent high-risk signings have done. It does give you a sense of `This is the potential.’ It does give you that desire to say, `Hey, can we get the next one?’”
If the Giants were to sign Abreu, they would have to move Brandon Belt from first base to left field.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 53
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)