And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights

Sep 13, 2013, 7:23 AM EDT

Cleveland Indians v Chicago White Sox Getty Images

Indians 14, White Sox 3: Ryan Raburn went 3 for 3 with a homer and five RBI. The Tribe put up a seven spot in the fifth inning in which the first nine batters who came to the plate reached. They keep pace with the Rays, who also won, and remain one and a half games back.

Rays 4, Red Sox 3: See, told you the Rays won. They avoid the sweep with the help of Wil Myers, who hit a tiebreaking RBI double in the eighth. The Rays continue to lead the Yankees, who also won, by a single game.

Yankees 6, Orioles 5: See, told you the Yankees won, though it wasn’t a laugher. They blew a 5-1 lead in the seventh and then came back and won on a wild pitch. They also lost Brett Gardner to a strained oblique. Still, they’re 12 games over .500 for the first time since May. Interesting: for the second time in a couple of weeks an essentially split Phil Hughes/David Huff “start” worked out. Perhaps the Yankees should continue having Huff caddy for Hughes. Or maybe they can get some mad scientist to forge a HughesHuff Golem/Cyborg or something and let them both pitch at once. Could be cool?

Braves 6, Marlins 1: Freddy Garcia made a spot start and pitched a wonderful game. Or, as Freddie Freeman put it afterwards, “Freddy wore the MVP pants today.” I wish I had some MVP pants. All I have are a pair of Detroit Tigers Zubaz. I call those my MVP pants. The girlfriend and kids call them my “don’t you dare put those on pants.” Philistines.

Athletics 8, Twins 2: Josh Reddick homered and had three RBI and A.J. Griffin was solid. Now: a three-game series against the Rangers. If the A’s take care of business in this one, they could, practically speaking, lock up the West.

Nationals 7, Mets 2: No one showed up for Aaron Harang‘s Mets debut. No crowd, no offense, no nothing. He did strike out ten, though. Not that it mattered as Ryan ZimmermanAdam LaRoche and Wilson Ramos all homered and Tanner Roark and the Nats pen was stingy.

Angels 4, Blue Jays 3: Now the Angels are playing well. Better late then never, I suppose. The Blue Jays have the never, with the exception of that one blip in mid-season where, for about two weeks, they got all frisky. Anyway, arguably the most disappointing team in 2013 swept the other most disappointing team in 2013.

Pirates 3, Cubs 1: They needed that from Jeff Locke. He’s looked like garbage so often lately, but yesterday gave up one run on three hits in seven innings. The Pirates move into a tie for first place because …

Brewers 5, Cardinals 3: … The Cardinals’ five-game winning streak came to an end. Tyler Thronburg was solid for six innings. Sean Halton homered. I suppose some people in Milwaukee and their moms know who they are.

Phillies 10, Padres 5: Roy Halladay was not good at all, walking five and giving up five runs (four earned) in four and a third innings, but his lineup had no problems with the Padres. Carlos Ruiz drove in three.

Dodgers 3, Giants 2: Adrian Gonzalez with the game winning single in the 10th. The Dodgers could clinch the division against the Giants this weekend if everything breaks just right.

1. cur68 - Sep 13, 2013 at 7:35 AM

“…the most disappointing team in 2013 swept the other most disappointing team in 2013.”

Yep. That’s about the size of that. If Morris Buttermaker were the Beavermen manager he’d say “You losers couldn’t even beat those other losers. Not even once.” On the up side . . . what? They can go golfing soon? Sure. Golfing. Probably lose at that, too.

/sob

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM

How did you hit em’ yesterday?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Alright then…I hope you hit em’ short and crooked!

• cur68 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

I’ve been at work from 0700 tom1900 today. Couldn’t reply since they frown upon me messin’ around on the interwebs when I’m shepherding students around . Anyhow, I won. Hit ‘em short and crooked off the tee, yeah. BUT I ripped it down the fairway, pitched well and putted like I had horseshoes in my unmentionables. 86 was good enough to win and not have to pay for the beer after.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 16, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Right Arm! Ahhh…an 86. I am jealous. My buddies are all scratch golfers (or damn near). They give me strokes….lot’s of strokes. And I would still be lucky to shoot an 86.

2. wlschneider09 - Sep 13, 2013 at 7:37 AM

Detroit Tigers Zubaz.

I believe we have a new element in the Lair outfit.

• Craig Calcaterra - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:16 AM

No lie, I actually have a pair. I’m friends with the Tigers Marketing and Promotions Coordinator. I went to a game back in August and he gave me a pair that were left over from the the Tigers’ Zubaz Day (which was a real thing) a couple of weeks before. I’ve had them on twice. Once at the ballpark when I got them and posed for a picture and one morning a couple weeks ago to mess with my kids. I doubt I’ll wear them again, but they’re at the ready.

• jarathen - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM

They should always be ready to threaten kids who won’t get ready for school or do their homework. Always ready.

• indaburg - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:35 AM

Pics or it never happened.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:16 AM

Craig’s Lair storylines involving a Detroit Tigers Zubaz… I’m drawing a blank, but perhaps something involving an owner’s meeting.

• moogro - Sep 13, 2013 at 4:22 PM

You can smell men’s butts just looking at them wearing the Zubaz.

3. proudlycanadian - Sep 13, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Actually Craig, you left the most disappointing team to last in your list of games played. The World Series champion Giants are by far the most disappointing team.

• NatsLady - Sep 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM

Someone on baseball reference ran a query. The only other WS winner to finish in last place (since 1901) was the 1997 Florida Marlins.

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

At least the 1997 Marlins were not even close to the same team as the 1996 Marlins due to the fire-sale that off-season. The 2013 Giants have nearly an identical roster, yet just look horrible. It’s really crazy.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM

“The only other WS winner to finish in last place (since 1901) was the 1997 Florida Marlins.”

True – but special mention has to go to the Philadelphia A’s. They won the World Series in 1910, 1911 and 1913. They won the Pennant in 1914 going 99-53 (but lost the W.S.), then came in dead last in 1915 going 43-109 – a 56 game drop! Then in 1916 they had the worst record ever, 36-117

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:56 AM

You’re going backwards. The 1997 Series champion Feesh finished last in 1998.

• jwbiii - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

After the 1914 season, Eddie Plank and Chief Bender signed with Federal League teams and Connie Mack sold Eddie Collins to the White Sox, so the 1915 A’s were very different than the 1914 team.

• indaburg - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:48 AM

There’s no shortage of teams running for title of Most DisappointingTeam of 2013. How do you define disappointment? If your measurement is how far the mighty have fallen, then the Giants are the winners. But the memory of the World Series win is still fresh for the fan base. They can comfort themselves with that knowledge.

If you go by the definition of failure to meet preseason expectations, your boys take the title. In spite of Craig’s snark, I see recent signs that if they can stay healthy, they will be a force to be reckoned with in 2014. (I’m pretty good at forecasting–I knew the O’s in 2012 and the Sox in 2013 would be good, although the Sox are sadly exceeding my expectations. Gomes and Victorino, really? But I digress.)

• proudlycanadian - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM

There was always the qualifier of “if they stay healthy”. Unfortunately several pitchers and position players spent significant time on the DL. The Jays would have done better against Anaheim if Encarnacion had been able to play.

• hcf95688 - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:55 AM

…and yet, there is a Giants-related story here every single day. Even is its not a story.

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:40 AM

No that would be your team PC, everyone picked them to win the Al East including Craig. Look at them now, 21 games behind and a complete joke.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Alright Harry…give it up. What is it that makes you hate the Blue Jays?
        Irrationally hate…but obsess as well. Seriously Man! The Blue Jays?
        For the life of me I can’t figure it out. It makes no sense.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

I am starting the think maybe you are sweet on PC. That is the only thing that makes sense. Sorta’ like back in grade school when I liked a girl I picked on her. Pulled her pony tail, pinched her…but always sat by her at lunch and always picked her on my kick ball and dodge ball teams.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:43 AM

Naaahhh, you’re over-thinking. Our resident Artificial Stupidity doesn’t really hate the Jays and I suspect that he’s still way too young to have determined what his sexual orientation is – at this point in his life, probably “northwest” with the needle wobbling due to an impending flipflop of the magnetic poles. I doubt if he’s even figured out how to use his vibrator yet – it just makes his teeth hurt.

• sadtwinsfan - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:40 PM

and yet they swept the twins at home

whimper whimper

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM

“it just makes his teeth hurt.” Lol!

Harry:
        Gator said your vibrator makes your teeth hurt. Is this true?

4. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 13, 2013 at 7:46 AM

I have a feeling the Angels will be in 2014 what the Dodgers have been in 2013. Their big acquisitions have not really clicked this season, but if they have a healthy Trout, Hamilton, Pujols, Trumbo etc next season, and just a little bit more pitching luck, they could turn it around in a big way.

• jarathen - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:32 AM

Definitely. Injuries to Vargas, Weaver, Pujols, Bourjos, Kendrick, and Aybar all really dragged the team down.

So did hiring home run derby enthusiast Joe Blanton. you have to wonder how a Kyle Lohse or Fransisco Liriano (or ERVIN SANTANA) would have been in that rotation slot instead.

If the Angels can get a better fifth pitcher and re-sign Vargas (or an equivalent starter) and Pujols can just have a Tim Salmon-like year (and Hamilton can do something decent – even .270 with 30 homers), they could very well bounce back next year. But they’ll have to earn it in a tough AL West that is also seeing some young great pitching coming from Seattle.

5. pitpenguinsrulez - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Quite a moment seeing the Pirates getting a standing ovation last night! Makes me happy seeing meaningful baseball in September after 20 losing frustrating seasons. Lets Go Bucs! The Pennant Race Comes Through Pittsburgh!!

6. steelbeast725 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Pirates need to stock up on wins against cubs and padres and hopefully get the 9 wins needed to clinch a playoff berth!

7. number42is1 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Can someone please explain to me why Mo got the Win and not the save? Roberton blew the save in the 8th but left in a tie game, when Mo came in in the 9th the Yanks were up by 1 so shouldn’t Robertson have gotten the Win and Mo the Save?

• proudlycanadian - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:36 AM

The official scorer had the discretion to decide who got the win. He obviously decided that Robertson did not pitch well enough to be awarded the Win.

• dirtyharry1971 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM

And the official scorer agreed the jays just got swept, nice pitching staff you got PC

• nbjays - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:05 AM

Our starters maye have had a bad year but our bullpen is head and shoulders above what the Yanks are passing off as relievers these days. You’d trade bullpens in an instant, harry, and if you say you wouldn’t, then you are as big a beseball know-nothing as I always figured you to be anyway.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

NBV – leaving the nonbeing Artificial Stupidity and his monotonous single soundbyte behind for a moment, just read an article about Bombardier’s CS100 jetliner, ready for its proving flights. I guess they got tired of duking it out interminably with Embraer for the CJ maket and are going after the midsize single-aisle market now. I didn’t realize they had aspirations to bite the 737 or the Flying Toads (A-319-20-21 series) by the landing gear. What a beautiful airplane.

• Utley's Hair - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Harry, you really need to get out and get a life. Schmuck.

8. jwbiii - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

Updated playoff percentages:

Team   Cool   B-Pro
    TBR*   66.3    67.7
    Cle    15.4    22.1
    NYY    19.1    16.4
    KCR     4.8     4.2
    Bal     3.9     4.4

WsN     2.4     2.7

The Red Sox take 2 of 3 from the Rays and the Yankees take 3 of 4 from the Orioles. The Nationals sweep the Mets, but they can’t get much traction because the Reds and Pirates are playing well.

The Rays head to Minnesota, the Yankees visit Boston, the Orioles play in Toronto, the Royals will be in Detroit after their off day. If you were going to spend an off day in Cleveland or Detroit, what would your choice be? Arkansas State beat Troy. The Nationals host the Phillies. Two of the AL challengers will play their division leaders on the road. Should be interesting.

Elimination news: The Padres tragic number is down to one. My dog lost to cancer and has been eliminated.

*Holds wild card berth

• stex52 - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:26 AM

Sorry about the dog, JB. The problem with those guys. They are so damned easy to outlive. But you do miss them.

• Francisco (FC) - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM

Every pet is a tiny tragedy waiting to happen.
        –George Carlin

• stex52 - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:48 AM

George Carlin, the philosopher of my generation. Take that how you will.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:49 AM

Yeah, and that was before the python population reached critical mass. No lady, I haven’t see your cat.

• Anoesis - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM

I feel badly for you about your dog, jw. The (lack of) Class A club north of Tijuana? Um, not so much.

• proudlycanadian - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Condolences regarding your pet.

In the important loss column, the Rays have 66 losses. New York and Cleveland have 68 while Baltimore and KC have 69.

9. Anoesis - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:31 AM

“The Dodgers could clinch the division against the Giants this weekend…”

After the last couple of years reading the chest-thumping boasts of Bay area band-wagoners on here, those crickets you now hear all over NorCal is sweet music indeed.

• Anoesis - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:35 AM

Oh, yeah, Brian Wilson got the win. Ha!

10. APBA Guy - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Anoesis- the boasting from the Bay Area is from across the Bay!

At least for now. Very excited today for the Rangers series. Of course, then I remembered that Straily is starting and the excitement turned to, let’s call it apprehension.

Bur first, a final word about the Twins. Yuck. The road ahead of them is long and full of peril. Their pitching is a real issue. I can see some hope in the position players, especially when Mauer comes back, and they have a core of bullpen guys that are good. But it looks like at least 3 years for them. Actually, I shouldn’t have said “final” about the Twins as we’ll see them again late next week after the Angels series.

Anyway, on to Texas. Texas will be on a mission but so will the A’s who have truly shaken off their mid-August doldrums and are back to winning via solid pitching and surprising power from the offense. Defense at middle infield still concerns me, but fortunately, without Hamilton and Cruz the Rangers just don’t hit the ball as hard as they used to. But the Rangers real issue is the injuries to their starters. They’ve replaced those guys, but you can see the strain they’re under, with Garza and Darvish having a couple of divo moments recently. The crowds are smaller too. No predictions, after getting every game wrong at Detroit, just anticipation. It would not be fatal to their division hopes if the A’s lost this series, but something tells me they won’t.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:54 AM

Yeah, and to think the Feesh would have wound up with Garza if Scrooge McLoria didn’t think that Tweeter was the end-all and be-all of marginally competent outfielders-first basemen. Ah well – if they had, Garza would probably have been traded to the Rangers by now anyway. Then again, Tweeter – despite his recent streak of driving in the occasional RISP – would still be popping out with runners on second and third for the Cubs.

Three legends off to Cooperstown