Davey Johnson says Bryce Harper needs to stop smashing bats

Sep 13, 2013, 8:54 AM EDT

First Jose Fernandez can’t admire home runs, now Bryce Harper can’t do this anymore:

At least Davey Johnson doesn’t want him doing that any longer. From Adam Kilgore of the Washington Post:

“He expects himself to do well every time up,” Johnson said. “Sometimes, it doesn’t happen that way. He takes it out on something. He needs to quit that.”

This is a different thing that Fernandez, of course, as it’s way less likely Fernandez is going to break his hand or get a bat shard in his eye from being a bit of a hot dog than Harper is from doing this stuff. Harper probably should figure out how to deal with his frustration a bit better.

1. scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:59 AM

This is not a game for perfectionists. Just ask Billy Beane.

2. DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:02 AM

Seeing as he gave himself a black eye in a bat smash incident, I have to agree with Davey. Take it out on the next at bat

• someguyinva - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:12 AM

Agreed, and that was more than just a black eye. He shattered the bat, and a shard of it gave him a ten stitch gash just above his eyeball; a few inches lower, and his career is over.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:59 PM

My recollection was that it was stitches, but I did not want to get the details wrong, so I took the safe result :)

And to be clear, I am not criticizing the guy at all. It’s tough not to get pissed, I get it

• someguyinva - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:23 PM

Well, I’m only guessing at the number of stitches. :-) I remember it was a pretty bad gash, though.

3. Francisco (FC) - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:22 AM

I thought he smashed batting helmets in the tunnel?

4. spacemaker101 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:25 AM

Acting like a little bitch honestly..

5. drewzducks - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:42 AM

Big Papi approves this message.

6. sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:00 AM

Is Youkilis his batting coach?

7. yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:19 AM

Nobody destroyed a water cooler like Lou Pinella.

8. jarathen - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Bryce Harper is a very young man. Being a young man, the easiest thing to do is to chuck things in anger. It goes wrong enough times, you stop doing it. He’ll figure it out.

9. asimonetti88 - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:58 AM

Get him a stress ball. Those things work wonders.

10. stex52 - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:51 AM

No, wait. Tell him to be less intense; first thing you know we will all be on his case for not legging it to first on every grounder.

There is no win with us blogfans.

11. 13arod - Sep 13, 2013 at 3:44 PM

tree hater lol

All the trade deadline news to know