Sep 13, 2013, 1:23 PM EDT
Corey Hart will head into free agency having missed the entire season following knee surgeries and numerous setbacks. Meanwhile, the Brewers have gotten horrendous production at first base in his absence. So will Milwaukee try to bring back Hart to fill the position next season?
“We haven’t even begun to consider it yet,” assistant general manager Gord Ash told Adam McCalvy of MLB.com. “As we all know, there’s plenty of time.”
For now Hart is expected to be ready for spring training, but then again no one thought he’d miss the whole first half of this year, let alone the entire season. Hart topped an .840 OPS in each of the previous three seasons, including last year when he hit .270 with 30 homers while playing 149 games. He’s finishing up a three-year, $26.5 million deal.
Under normal circumstances the Brewers could make a qualifying offer to Hart and receive draft pick compensation if he signed elsewhere, but as McCalvy notes he’d likely just accept the one-year, $14 million contract that comes attached and stick Milwaukee with a too-big bill considering the health uncertainty.
- Will Smith’s ejection once again shows baseball’s silly approach to foreign substance rules 30
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 35
- Who really owns a home run ball? 60
- The story behind the Nationals squirting chocolate syrup on each other after big wins 43
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 128
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” 128
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week 122
- Dodgers left-hander Hyun-Jin Ryu to have season-ending shoulder surgery 8
- Bryce Harper on Marvin Hudson ejection: “I don’t think 40,000 people came to watch him ump” (128)
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights (128)
- Bryce Harper ejected for second time in a week (122)
- GM Dan Jennings to be named the Marlins new manager. And it’s a terrible idea. (111)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (101)