Sep 13, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
With just a handful of games left in the regular season, the Indians have certainly done their part to remain relevant both in the AL Central and Wild Card races. They defeated the White Sox by a score of 3-1 this afternoon, improving to 79-68, 5.5 games behind the division-leading Tigers and one game behind the second Wild Card-leading Rays. It is their seventh victory in their last ten games, picking up three games each on the Tigers and Rays in that span of time.
Starter Danny Salazar didn’t make it through the fourth inning, but recorded nine of his 11 outs via strikeout and did not allow any runs on four hits and two walks. Seven Indians relievers combined to allow just one unearned run over the final five and one-third innings. The offense got to White Sox starter Hector Santiago in the middle innings, scoring once in the fourth on an RBI single by Drew Stubbs, and twice in the fifth on a Ryan Raburn double and a Michael Brantley sacrifice fly.
As of this posting, the Tigers are just getting under way against the Royals, and the Rays will match up against the Twins in an hour. The Indians have become a very interesting team to follow with the regular season nearly complete.
- Giants rout Royals 11-4 in Game 4 to even up the World Series at 2-2 14
- Mike Trout, Giancarlo Stanton win the Hank Aaron Award 1
- World Series, Game 4: Royals vs. Giants lineups 1
- Report: Rays owner Stuart Sternberg has discussed moving the team to Montreal 62
- Dave Dombrowski on Miguel Cabrera: “It’s worse than what we ever would have anticipated” 33
- World Series Reset: Can the Giants even things up? 4
- Behind strong bullpen, Royals edge Giants 3-2 to take a 2-1 World Series lead 36
- Paul Konerko, Jimmy Rollins named co-winners of the Roberto Clemente Award 4
- Shocker! Joe Maddon to opt out of his contract and leave the Rays (143)
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (122)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (109)
- The World Series ratings are low. So what? (106)