Sep 13, 2013, 7:05 PM EST
With just a handful of games left in the regular season, the Indians have certainly done their part to remain relevant both in the AL Central and Wild Card races. They defeated the White Sox by a score of 3-1 this afternoon, improving to 79-68, 5.5 games behind the division-leading Tigers and one game behind the second Wild Card-leading Rays. It is their seventh victory in their last ten games, picking up three games each on the Tigers and Rays in that span of time.
Starter Danny Salazar didn’t make it through the fourth inning, but recorded nine of his 11 outs via strikeout and did not allow any runs on four hits and two walks. Seven Indians relievers combined to allow just one unearned run over the final five and one-third innings. The offense got to White Sox starter Hector Santiago in the middle innings, scoring once in the fourth on an RBI single by Drew Stubbs, and twice in the fifth on a Ryan Raburn double and a Michael Brantley sacrifice fly.
As of this posting, the Tigers are just getting under way against the Royals, and the Rays will match up against the Twins in an hour. The Indians have become a very interesting team to follow with the regular season nearly complete.
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 40
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 19
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 4
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 2
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” 359
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 33
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (359)
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (307)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- John Baker, Jeremy Brown, coal mines and class (80)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (76)