Sep 13, 2013, 7:05 PM EDT
With just a handful of games left in the regular season, the Indians have certainly done their part to remain relevant both in the AL Central and Wild Card races. They defeated the White Sox by a score of 3-1 this afternoon, improving to 79-68, 5.5 games behind the division-leading Tigers and one game behind the second Wild Card-leading Rays. It is their seventh victory in their last ten games, picking up three games each on the Tigers and Rays in that span of time.
Starter Danny Salazar didn’t make it through the fourth inning, but recorded nine of his 11 outs via strikeout and did not allow any runs on four hits and two walks. Seven Indians relievers combined to allow just one unearned run over the final five and one-third innings. The offense got to White Sox starter Hector Santiago in the middle innings, scoring once in the fourth on an RBI single by Drew Stubbs, and twice in the fifth on a Ryan Raburn double and a Michael Brantley sacrifice fly.
As of this posting, the Tigers are just getting under way against the Royals, and the Rays will match up against the Twins in an hour. The Indians have become a very interesting team to follow with the regular season nearly complete.
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 0
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 14
- Mike Trout is the best MVP choice, but . . . 17
- Baseball is dying, you guys, because no one would recognize Mike Trout in a bar 58
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 73
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 42
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 217
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (217)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)