Sep 13, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
The National Football League discussing concussions in Major League Baseball is like Joey Chestnut lecturing a guy at the ballpark for eating four hot dogs in one sitting. That is to say, it looks a bit hypocritical to write that concussions have been “a major concern in Major League Baseball” when they have been a frequent and controversial topic of discussion for the most popular sports league on the continent.
To be fair, the article in and of itself isn’t terrible, but the topic seems out of place considering the source. And that the NFL has a bigger concussion problem doesn’t mean MLB’s concussion problem should be swept under the rug, never to be discussed.
The article notes:
USA Today looked at the rise in head injuries among catchers in baseball, showing the trend has been increasing for the past two years.
Teams have put players on the disabled list due to concussions or head injuries 18 times this year, five more than all of last season and seven more than in 2011, when the seven-day concussion DL was implemented. In 10 of those 18 instances, the players were catchers, including the Boston Red Sox’s David Ross twice.
Great, useful information from USA Today. You just have to question the motivation for the NFL to use it the way they have.
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 7
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 9
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 78
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 88
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- VIDEO: Derek Jeter hits first home run at Yankee Stadium this season 11
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife 103
- No, baseball does not need to “announce a domestic violence policy ASAP” 52
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (108)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (88)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)