Sep 13, 2013, 7:55 PM EST
The National Football League discussing concussions in Major League Baseball is like Joey Chestnut lecturing a guy at the ballpark for eating four hot dogs in one sitting. That is to say, it looks a bit hypocritical to write that concussions have been “a major concern in Major League Baseball” when they have been a frequent and controversial topic of discussion for the most popular sports league on the continent.
To be fair, the article in and of itself isn’t terrible, but the topic seems out of place considering the source. And that the NFL has a bigger concussion problem doesn’t mean MLB’s concussion problem should be swept under the rug, never to be discussed.
The article notes:
USA Today looked at the rise in head injuries among catchers in baseball, showing the trend has been increasing for the past two years.
Teams have put players on the disabled list due to concussions or head injuries 18 times this year, five more than all of last season and seven more than in 2011, when the seven-day concussion DL was implemented. In 10 of those 18 instances, the players were catchers, including the Boston Red Sox’s David Ross twice.
Great, useful information from USA Today. You just have to question the motivation for the NFL to use it the way they have.
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition 118
- Nationals sign former Blue Jays closer Casey Janssen 10
- Ichiro Suzuki’s deal with the Marlins is worth $2 million 30
- Orioles acquire outfielder Travis Snider from Pirates 35
- Not so fast on the Bud Selig Hall of Fame talk 50
- Blue Jays sign president and CEO Paul Beeston to extension through 2015 26
- Reds sign four-year contract extension with Devin Mesoraco 11
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives 82
- Great Moments in Media Arrogance: Marshawn Lynch edition (123)
- Rob Manfred, new Major League Baseball commissioner, suggests ban on defensive shifts (118)
- Why “Deflategate” would never happen in baseball (93)
- The Yankees are going to try to get out of paying A-Rod his contract incentives (82)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)