NFL.com posted an article on MLB concussions for some reason

Sep 13, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT

justin-morneau-concussion Reuters

The National Football League discussing concussions in Major League Baseball is like Joey Chestnut lecturing a guy at the ballpark for eating four hot dogs in one sitting. That is to say, it looks a bit hypocritical to write that concussions have been “a major concern in Major League Baseball” when they have been a frequent and controversial topic of discussion for the most popular sports league on the continent.

To be fair, the article in and of itself isn’t terrible, but the topic seems out of place considering the source. And that the NFL has a bigger concussion problem doesn’t mean MLB’s concussion problem should be swept under the rug, never to be discussed.

The article notes:

USA Today looked at the rise in head injuries among catchers in baseball, showing the trend has been increasing for the past two years.

Teams have put players on the disabled list due to concussions or head injuries 18 times this year, five more than all of last season and seven more than in 2011, when the seven-day concussion DL was implemented. In 10 of those 18 instances, the players were catchers, including the Boston Red Sox’s David Ross twice.

Great, useful information from USA Today. You just have to question the motivation for the NFL to use it the way they have.

1. Roger Moore - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:17 PM

So there have been almost as many concussions in MLB so far this year as there were in Week 12 of the last NFL season. Somebody is trying to deflect the discussion.

2. tfbuckfutter - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:20 PM

When reached for comment about the Aaron Hernandez situation Charles Manson went on the record saying “I think that guy might be crazy.”

3. jdillydawg - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

“But Ma! Baseball does it toooooo!”

And I bet if they looked hard enough, they could even find a professional golfer, a bowler, and a few basketball players with concussions too.

Case closed. There is no problem in the NFL.

• redsoxclover - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:38 PM

Haha you’re right . I got a concussion painting (don’t ask) so I guess it’s just as dangerous as playing in the NFL. So either I want to get paid millions to paint , or the NFL players better start playing for free!

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:41 PM

Did the model’s husband come home?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 16, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I know you said not to ask…but I can’t help myself. I have to comment.
        Sooo….you fell off a ladder I assume?

4. datdangdrewdundunituhgin - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:34 PM

i like watching the NFL. always have. but i’m not sure if its the way the league is run with goodell being a tyrant bitch for the owners or if i’m just paying more attention, but i’ve become very much ambivalent to it now. when it comes to hockey, my “meh” attitude is pretty much tied directly to the buffoon in charge over there, and david stern is an outright joke. its really a shame that these leagues have somehow managed to make selig look like he knows what he’s doing 100% if the time.

5. misterj167 - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:55 PM

I’m to the point where I rather enjoy watching football players get injured. This is the culture they want, no one is going to watch a watered-down game, and no one is going to voluntarily take themselves out of any game for something as pussified as a concussion. Walk it off, dude.

Imagine every player on your team being Bryce Harper. That’s football. And that’s football from Pee Wee League to the pros, and it’s accepted because, as I’ve said before, football is more a cult than a sport.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:31 PM

Wow…rooting for injury… that is a special kind of low.

• misterj167 - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:57 PM

You clearly haven’t lived in areas where football dominates. You play tough and you play hurt and you don’t complain, ever. Head hurts? Walk it off. The game is more important than anything. High school kids die from hard workouts in summer. Kids suffer brain damage from using the helmets as weapons. And that’s the way they want it. Because no one is going to watch tag football on TV, and no kid is going to take himself out of a game for fear of being called a pussy.

So let them continue to injure themselves, because that’s what they want.

• asimonetti88 - Sep 14, 2013 at 12:01 AM

I’ve lived in the Bay Area and Greater Los Angeles Area for most of my life.. Football is huge here. I grew up playing it.

Rooting for someone to get injured is incredibly low.

• misterj167 - Sep 14, 2013 at 3:45 AM

It’s a brutal sport, and people like it that way, so anyone complaining about injuries is missing the point, especially when players and coaches will put bounties on other players.

So rather than fighting it, or even just accepting it, I revel in it, because it’s clearly what everyone involved wants: players, fans, management and ownership. To quote the late, great George Carlin, “That’s what people want! Serious f*****g injuries!” That’s not being low, that’s being honest about what the game is all about.

6. aceshigh11 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:58 PM

That’s what I call “massive cojones.”

7. jm91rs - Sep 14, 2013 at 8:44 AM

You don’t think fans of the nfl might also be baseball fans? Perhaps they are curious about concussions in other sports? I’ve been looking for a well written concussion article in baseball, as a semi-fan of the twins, I feel like concussions in baseball are a pretty big deal. We seem to have a lot of them on that team

• Cris E - Sep 14, 2013 at 3:04 PM

I too read some NFL articles to learn about things that affect my favorite sport, baseball. For example, much like MLB trying to pick up some pointers from the NFL on head injuries, the NFL is starting to hear about these so-called “performance enhancing drugs” that could being appearing in football at any time. It sounds scary.

8. mustbechris - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:53 AM

Roger Goodell is a scumbag

Teams searching for trade deadline impact
  1. H. Street (3876)