Sep 13, 2013, 11:51 AM EDT
Henry Urrutia didn’t travel with the Orioles for their road trip to Toronto that begins tonight because the Cuban defector can’t get into Canada due to immigration issues.
Instead he’ll head to Florida to work out at the Orioles’ spring training complex and Rich Dubroff of CSNBaltimore.com reports that the team may decide to simply shut him down for the season. “I alerted him to the fact that it could go either way so he didn’t take three changes of clothes down there,” manager Buck Showalter told Dubroff.
Urrutia initially got a July call-up after hitting .365 at Triple-A, but struggled and was sent back to the minors. He returned when rosters expanded on September 1, but has started just once since then as Showalter has gone with veterans Danny Valencia and Wilson Betemit in the designated hitter spot.
- Report: Angels, Rangers agree on Josh Hamilton trade 51
- Must-Click Link: Alex Rodriguzez: the slugger with a thousand faces 16
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 114
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected 155
- Bartolo Colon picks off a baserunner. By running him down all by himself. 54
- Pete Rose will be allowed to participate in All-Star Game festivities 69
- Career over? Joe Nathan needs Tommy John surgery 31
- Contact and controversy in the ninth inning of last night’s Dodgers-Giants game 54
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (155)
- Kelvin Herrera gets a five-game suspension; Yordano Ventura fined (133)
- Jose Bautista and the Orioles exchanged some words last night (117)
- Joe Buck has a truly awful suggestion about how to improve MLB broadcasts (115)