Sep 13, 2013, 8:50 PM EST
The Pirates pulled another trick out of the bag tonight, hitting back-to-back-to-back home runs to erase a 3-0 deficit against Cubs starter Jake Arrieta. After Andrew McCutchen and Justin Morneau made two quick outs to start off the bottom of the fourth, Pedro Alvarez hit an inside-the-park home run to right-center. Russell Martin then cranked a solo shot out to left, and Garrett Jones followed with a homer to center, tying the game at 3-3.
Alvarez bumped his home run total up to 33, giving him a two-homer lead over Paul Goldschmidt at the top of the National League. Martin and Jones now sit with 14 apiece on the season.
That’s the ninth time in club history the Pirates have hit back-to-back-to-back home runs. First time at home since 1955
— Travis Sawchik (@Sawchik_Trib) September 14, 2013
The Pirates entered the night tied with the Cardinals at 85-61 in first place atop the NL Central. The Cardinals are hosting the Mariners. The third-place Reds, just 2.5 games behind, are in Milwaukee.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 68
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 158
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 33
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (159)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (138)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (135)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)