Roy Halladay not terribly pleased with the tough Philly media

Sep 13, 2013, 11:03 AM EDT

Roy Halladay Getty Getty Images

Back when he threw in the mid-90s Roy Halladay got nothing but praise. Now that he’s struggling he’s hearing some criticism. He’s not terribly pleased with that. From Mike Narducci at Philly.com:

“Philly is not an easy place to do that, you guys are pretty tough,” he said to the assembled reporters. “You have to be pretty mentally strong to block that out and go out there with confidence every time and trust.”

But it did seem like his comments were a bit more than an acknowledgment of the Philly press’ toughness, as he went on to suggest that maybe he should be given some praise for doing as well as he’s done given how recent his surgery was and how similar injuries have ended other guys’ careers.

Not sure that’ll get him very far in the court of Philly public opinion. There, more than a lot of places, results matter and you don’t get a ton of attaboys merely for trying hard.

1. flamethrower101 - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:09 AM

Sounds more like a guy who’s not gonna be back with the Phillies next year even if they offer him the best deal. I agree that he should be given some praise for at least holding up his own since coming back – I personally was expecting a complete blowup – but let’s all remember that he hid his shoulder pain from the team and tried to pitch through when it was painfully clear to even the dumbest sports fan that something was wrong.

The way I see it he’s lucky to even be back this year given the procedures he had. I don’t think Halladay is in any position to be criticizing anyone right now. He should be thankful the fans haven’t turned on him yet. Phillies fans are a fickle bunch and another bad outing could see him get some boobirds.

2. yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM

Wait until they start booing you.

Like Santa.

8~)

• jcmeyer10 - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:46 PM

You’ll know it’s over when you see the marshmallows… with batteries shoved in them.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:57 PM

Sigh….to live in a world where it was required you knew the actual story before you quote it…..but alas, it helps prove my point. People who whip out “Those mean Philly fans” cliches don’t know what they are talking about

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:41 PM

I am sure you tire of it Delaware. And I can appreciate that. I would too.
        But didn’t Santa get booed? Didn’t JD Drew have batteries thrown at him?
        And I know A.P. got the laser pointer treatment while he was trying to hit mid 90’s fastballs cause’ I watched the game. I immediately punched my buddy in the arm while we were watching it. On vacation…in the hotel lobby. And he is a huge Phillies fan.
        Hence the punch.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:58 PM

Google the Santa story – that is the most misunderstood event in all of sports history. As for J.D. Drew – I was at that game. Never even knew it happened until the next day. What I did see was thousands of people loudly expressing they didn’t like him. (you get where I am heading with that). I am not goign to defend the guy who did that for one second – just as I would not expect you to defend a neighbor who committed a crime.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:00 PM

I actually thought the Santa deal was at an Eagles game. I just through that in because it was in Philadelphia. So I take that one back.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:04 PM

It was, and the fans were clearly booing a crappy a pathetic half time show.

The real problem was that time a a Phillies-Cardinals playoff game had be stopped for 15 minutes because hundreds of Phillies fans through debris on the field.

• yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:18 PM

YOU PRICKS BOOED SANTA!

8~D

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:19 PM

Name calling – the last refuge of those losing the argument. And you doubled down on a wrong assertion. “Nuff said

• yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:27 PM

It was Eagles fans (lowest form of sports fan in America) and they didn’t boo Santa. They pelted him with snowballs.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:38 PM

Exactly. Like I said – people whip the story out incorrectly all the time. As you did (this is HBT, I could careless about any football team)

• yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:37 PM

Philly fans are also too dumb to realize when they’re being trolled.

Anyway, Eagles fans are the only people Raider fans can justifiably look down upon.

Educate yourself about the fine people in your town. Violence, wild profanity, cheering spinal injuries for opposing players. Nobody is worse than you guys. Nobody.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

“Philly fans are too dumb to realize they are being trolled”

Says the guy who posted not 1, not 2, but 3 YouTube videos.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:55 PM

P.S.

“educate yourself about the fine peopel in your town”

Okay, I will. You may want to educate yourself on geography

• yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 5:09 PM

But I like YouTube videos.

And you guys are the worst in every sport. Eagles fans just take it to a completely different level.

• DelawarePhilliesFan - Sep 13, 2013 at 5:58 PM

And here I thought you would say something stupid

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:39 PM

Yep…or shining a laser pointer in your eyes while you are in the box. Like Pujols.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:01 PM

“threw”

EDIT FUNCTION!

3. NatsLady - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:25 PM

Read through some Philly sites when I saw this comment. General consensus from fans was not praise for his (current) efforts, but rather thanks for past glory and it’s time to move on or hang it up. I’ve loved watching Doc pitch, even for the hated opposition–until now. You don’t get praised for “effort” outside of elementary school. You get praised for results, and his have not been good. When he demonstrates that he HAS come back from injuries that ended many a pitcher’s career, that’s when he gets the praise. Not for trying to come back. Not for rehabbing in Florida, lifting weights, etc. That’s hard, yes, painful, yes. But it’s still just trying.

4. thegreatcendali - Sep 13, 2013 at 2:44 PM

it was a good run. but its over. suck it up Roy.

5. greymares - Sep 13, 2013 at 4:16 PM

Unless you can provide the names of the perpetrators in the so called Santa and Battery incidents and provide addresses to prove that they might be Philly fans there is no accountability

6. unklepaulhargus - Sep 13, 2013 at 5:37 PM

love how people tag Philly fans as the worst….

but they never blinded anyone

or nearly killed someone

7. giantssb42champs - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:33 PM

Guess he shoulda married Cliff Lee’s wife.

Red Sox shopping Lester and Lackey