Sep 13, 2013, 11:19 AM EST
Twins catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit returned from the seven-day concussion disabled list on August 16 as one of the few fortunate players to make a quick recovery following a brain injury, but he’s yet to catch a single game since then and won’t be back behind the plate this season.
Here’s what Doumit told LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune:
It was 100 percent a factor. You see guys who are dealing with concussions and it has taken a long time for them to come back. I’ve had concussions in the past. At this point, it is not worth getting back there and taking another one and spend a whole offseason trying to recover. It’s the safe route.
Starting catcher Joe Mauer is currently on the seven-day concussion disabled list, so a healthy Doumit likely would have been in line for at least 2-3 starts per week in his absence, but instead the Twins are turning to rookies Josmil Pinto and Chris Herrmann. Doumit did say, however, that he plans to resume catching next season and he’s under contract with the Twins for $3.5 million.
- Blue Jays sign Dayan Viciedo to a minor league deal 8
- Chris Sale will be sidelined for three weeks with foot fracture 11
- Aramis Ramirez says 2015 will be his last year 32
- Francisco Rodriguez re-signs with the Brewers 9
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended 305
- Pirates open to massive extension for Andrew McCutchen 18
- Report: Josh Hamilton had a relapse this offseason that “involved at least cocaine” 86
- Yankees don’t plan on having to pay A-Rod’s $30 million in home run milestone bonuses 52
- If addiction is an illness — and it is — Josh Hamilton shouldn’t be suspended (305)
- San Francisco — and all of California — will consider a smokeless tobacco ban that includes MLB parks (131)
- Brian Sabean says that California taxes are a hindrance to the Giants signing free agents (102)
- Ichiro is happy to be away from Joe Girardi (88)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (87)