Sep 13, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Twins catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit returned from the seven-day concussion disabled list on August 16 as one of the few fortunate players to make a quick recovery following a brain injury, but he’s yet to catch a single game since then and won’t be back behind the plate this season.
Here’s what Doumit told LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune:
It was 100 percent a factor. You see guys who are dealing with concussions and it has taken a long time for them to come back. I’ve had concussions in the past. At this point, it is not worth getting back there and taking another one and spend a whole offseason trying to recover. It’s the safe route.
Starting catcher Joe Mauer is currently on the seven-day concussion disabled list, so a healthy Doumit likely would have been in line for at least 2-3 starts per week in his absence, but instead the Twins are turning to rookies Josmil Pinto and Chris Herrmann. Doumit did say, however, that he plans to resume catching next season and he’s under contract with the Twins for $3.5 million.
- Masahiro Tanaka diagnosed with partially-torn UCL in elbow 46
- Yadier Molina to miss 8-12 weeks with a torn thumb ligament 29
- Carlos Beltran placed on concussion disabled list after batting practice mishap 16
- Derek Jeter is the most popular MLB jersey this year 16
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 52
- The Rockies “aren’t looking around very hard” for a trade of star shortstop Troy Tulowitzki 29
- Jury finds the Dodgers partially negligent, awards $18 million to Bryan Stow 48
- Masahiro Tanaka injured: Yankees ace to undergo an MRI exam on his right arm 60
- Shocker: the Red Sox publicly criticize A.J. Pierzynski after cutting him (187)
- John Lackey on Nelson Cruz: “Not even going to comment … I’ve got nothing to say about him” (143)
- The 2014 All-Star rosters have been announced (103)
- Giants broadcaster says Angel Hernandez “does not belong in the big leagues” (101)
- David Ortiz is not pleased that his name got pulled into the John Lackey-Nelson Cruz thing (99)