Sep 13, 2013, 11:19 AM EDT
Twins catcher/outfielder Ryan Doumit returned from the seven-day concussion disabled list on August 16 as one of the few fortunate players to make a quick recovery following a brain injury, but he’s yet to catch a single game since then and won’t be back behind the plate this season.
Here’s what Doumit told LaVelle E. Neal III of the Minneapolis Star Tribune:
It was 100 percent a factor. You see guys who are dealing with concussions and it has taken a long time for them to come back. I’ve had concussions in the past. At this point, it is not worth getting back there and taking another one and spend a whole offseason trying to recover. It’s the safe route.
Starting catcher Joe Mauer is currently on the seven-day concussion disabled list, so a healthy Doumit likely would have been in line for at least 2-3 starts per week in his absence, but instead the Twins are turning to rookies Josmil Pinto and Chris Herrmann. Doumit did say, however, that he plans to resume catching next season and he’s under contract with the Twins for $3.5 million.
- Orioles acquire Kelly Johnson from the Red Sox 5
- Orioles acquire Alejandro De Aza from the White Sox 5
- Bryce Harper is 15th player in MLB history to reach 50 career homers before age-22 season 30
- The Dodgers took the shift to the extreme last night 47
- VIDEO: Jorge Soler hits two long home runs in third major league game 20
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 18
- Mariners end Jesus Montero’s season 37
- Troy Tulowitzki says he’ll retire before he switches positions 32
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (220)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (146)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (104)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights (75)