Sebastian Janikowski does not root for the Oakland Athletics to lose

Sep 13, 2013, 9:55 AM EDT

Sebastian Janikowski, Chris Kluwe

Oakland Raiders kicker Sebastian Janikowski was reported to have told another player that he rooted for the A’s to lose because the quicker their season is over the quicker they put sod over the infield dirt at the Oakland Coliseum, thus making his kicking life easier. He was quite upset to see that report, however, and he set the story straight. From CSNBayArea.com:

“I root for the A’s. I want them to do well,” Janikowski said. “I’ve been to several A’s games. Whatever he said, it just blows my mind. The conversation never happened. If they make the postseason, I’m excited for them.”

About the report, Janikowski said “I was pissed off … I want to set things straight.” Indeed, he claims that kicking off the infield dirt is an advantage for the Raiders as the other teams aren’t used to it.

Which, OK, if he likes it, great. I feel like football teams and baseball teams sharing a field is dumb, though, and it’s just one more reason for the A’s to get a new ballpark. Or, if we can build a time machine, to keep the Raiders from coming back to Oakland and ruining what was a really nice outfield view at the Coliseum.

1. kandh2004 - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:04 AM

Craig this is so yesterday. This is why football is slightly better because they had the story when it happened. Tomorrow you can have the story where he says he is an A’s fan and goes to games since that was already reported on PFT yesterday to

• scoutsaysweitersisabust - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:18 AM

Go back to the PFT comments section from which you came. Our quota of mouth-breathers is full here.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:07 PM

Yet…here you are at HBT. Feeling dumbed down over at PFT?

2. baseballici0us - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:05 AM

They’d be calling for you head right now if this was ProFootballTalk, Craig.

• churchoftheperpetuallyoutraged - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:56 AM

If this was PFT we’d all be sitting around eating paste and wondering what this machine in front of us does.

• poprox13 - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:41 AM

If this was PFT these comments would be deleted.

• baseballici0us - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:57 AM

@church: hahahaha

3. yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:16 AM

Jano’s first training camp in Oakland, he got a care package from his mom back in Poland. It was a big suitcase packed with nothing but bottles of vodka. People laughed when the Raiders selected a kicker in the first round, but the Raiders have drafted so poorly this century, he has actually turned out to be one of their better choices.

4. koufaxmitzvah - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

Baseball rules, football drools.

• 18thstreet - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:47 PM

Football stadiums are a huge waste of land. Huge. And I don’t say that because I hate football (though I do). I say that because a football stadium gets used for roughly 10 days a year, maybe 15. That’s a huge portion of the calendar that urban land can’t be used for something else.

And that wouldn’t be such a huge problem is football stadiums were a little smaller. But you also need somewhere to put the cars during game, and the stadiums hold twice as many people as a baseball park does. So now you have a giant parking lot, also vacant except for 10 to 15 days a year.

Basketball/hockey arenas are used all the time for other purposes — Disney on Ice, circuses, concerts, etc. There’s so little else that one can do with a football stadium. Who other than U2 or Springsteen or a handful of huge acts can fill an 80,000 seat venue?

It’s a shame that the football/baseball combination never really worked. But since it doesn’t (everyone hates RFK and Three Rivers, etc.), the best option is to put a football stadium at least 30 miles outside of the urban core with good access to the highways.

5. nategearhart - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:34 AM

I never understood why people get worked up over what teams a famous person root for, even if the famous person happens to be an athlete.

• largebill - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:23 AM

Agree, especially since the players in most cases come from another area than where they end up as professionals. As an Indians fan why should I care that Kipnis still follows the Chicago football and basketball teams he rooted for as a child? My concern is that he does well against Chicago pitching this weekend.

However, I’ll admit it was somewhat different when LeBron James playing for Cleveland and growing up in Cleveland area (Akron) rooted for the Yankees and Cowboys. I can almost accept the Cowboys nonsense since during his formative years Browns didn’t exist for a few years and when they did exist they played like they shouldn’t exist. However, there is no excuse for any Clevelander to root for the Yankees.

• yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:17 PM

Yes there is and the excuse is that they’re horrible people.

6. APBA Guy - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:26 AM

Of course, all the comments about mouth-breathers and football are completely valid.

But let’s not lose track of Craig’s greater point, that sharing the field is dumb. While this article focused on Janikowski and his kicking off the infield, we should also get some comments from Reddick and Crisp about what it’s like fielding off a trampled outfield, where the ball scoots and runs like on turf, or kicks up at an unnatural angle because of a divot from some monster’s cleats.

The A’s groundskeeper and his crew (and I am sorry to say I can’t recall his name right now) does a fabulous job repairing as much football-related damage as he can. But still, when you see the residue of those yard lines in right center, you just want to scream.

7. stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:11 PM

mouth-breather

1. Someone who is incapable of breathing through their nose

2. Someone stupid who is unaware that their mouth is gaping open, often taking in gallons of air and spewing their own dry, bacteria rotten maw into your clean air in your vicinity.

Lol! While I love the 2nd definition…
    I just can’t get on board with using “mouth-breather” as an insult. It doesn’t seem to have as much ass as other insults. And I have always been an ass man (both literally and figuratively).

8. skipcastaneda - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:21 PM

It was a great ballpark before the Raiders came back. I miss seeing the hills, it was the best view in baseball.
    I was there this morning to buy tickets. It’s a dump now. Very dirty all around the complex.

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (5585)