Sep 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Last season Strasburg threw his final pitch on September 7, as the Nationals shut him down for the stretch run and postseason after he logged 159 innings in his first full year back from Tommy John surgery. This season Strasburg has thrown 170 innings–with a 2.96 ERA and the fourth-best strikeout rate in the league–and there were no plans to shut him down.
UPDATE: Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com reports that “Strasburg felt the forearm tightness … during a bullpen session” and manager Davey Johnson indicated that he was working on a new pitch at the time.
- The Winners and Losers at the Trade Deadline 43
- 2015 MLB Trade Deadline Tracker 10
- Report: Yoenis Cespedes heading to the New York Mets 35
- The Blue Jays pick up Ben Revere from the Phillies 62
- Cubs trade for Dan Haren 27
- Cardinals add more bullpen help, get Jonathan Broxton from Brewers 13
- Orioles trade for Brewers outfielder Gerardo Parra 19
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 45
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (112)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)