Sep 13, 2013, 3:50 PM EDT
Last season Strasburg threw his final pitch on September 7, as the Nationals shut him down for the stretch run and postseason after he logged 159 innings in his first full year back from Tommy John surgery. This season Strasburg has thrown 170 innings–with a 2.96 ERA and the fourth-best strikeout rate in the league–and there were no plans to shut him down.
UPDATE: Chase Hughes of CSNWashington.com reports that “Strasburg felt the forearm tightness … during a bullpen session” and manager Davey Johnson indicated that he was working on a new pitch at the time.
- Kris Medlen leaves game with right forearm strain 16
- Cardinals sign Cuban middle infielder Aledmys Diaz to a four-year major league contract 48
- Cardinals and Matt Carpenter agree to a six-year, $52 million extension 10
- Jet Blue Park is absolutely incredible 59
- Gary Nolan one of many careers saved by Dr. Frank Jobe 17