Sep 13, 2013, 11:35 PM EST
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that the Giants have expressed interested in signing outfielder Hunter Pence to a contract extension. Pence, 30, will become eligible for free agency for the first time in his career once the season is over. He has had one of the most productive seasons of his career, currently sitting on an .816 OPS with 21 home runs.
The five-year, $75.25 million contract the Braves gave B.J. Upton and the four-year, $48 million contract the Indians gave Michael Bourn — both signed during the past off-season — would serve as models for Pence’s extension.
Baggarly also notes that the Giants have not approached starter Tim Lincecum about an extension. The 29-year-old is wrapping up his second consecutive subpar season, currently posting a 4.40 ERA. He is earning $22 million this season, the final leg of a two-year, $40.5 million contract extension.
The Giants do plan to extend qualifying offers to both players, meaning that teams without protection would have to surrender a first round draft pick in order to sign either Pence or Lincecum.
- Yankees reject A-Rod’s apology attempt 8
- Joe Posnanski: Remembering ‘Mr. Cub,’ Ernie Banks 15
- What they’re saying about the passing of Cubs legend Ernie Banks 7
- Alex Rodriguez recently met with incoming MLB commissioner Rob Manfred 15
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 75
- Sean Doolittle has a “slight” rotator cuff tear, won’t be ready for Opening Day 4
- Ryan Vogelsong re-signs with Giants after flirting with Astros 17
- Phillies and Brewers moving closer to Jonathan Papelbon trade 52
- Bud Selig: The Greatest Commissioner in the History of Baseball (143)
- Max Scherzer’s seven-year deal with Nationals worth $210 million (119)
- Comments of the Day: some of you guys aren’t big Bud Selig fans (77)
- The 2015 Braves have “gravitas” and “veteran leadership” and will have dirty uniforms. Just kill me now. (76)
- Ernie Banks, one of baseball’s greatest players and greatest ambassadors has died at age 83 (75)