Sep 13, 2013, 11:35 PM EDT
CSN Bay Area’s Andrew Baggarly reports that the Giants have expressed interested in signing outfielder Hunter Pence to a contract extension. Pence, 30, will become eligible for free agency for the first time in his career once the season is over. He has had one of the most productive seasons of his career, currently sitting on an .816 OPS with 21 home runs.
The five-year, $75.25 million contract the Braves gave B.J. Upton and the four-year, $48 million contract the Indians gave Michael Bourn — both signed during the past off-season — would serve as models for Pence’s extension.
Baggarly also notes that the Giants have not approached starter Tim Lincecum about an extension. The 29-year-old is wrapping up his second consecutive subpar season, currently posting a 4.40 ERA. He is earning $22 million this season, the final leg of a two-year, $40.5 million contract extension.
The Giants do plan to extend qualifying offers to both players, meaning that teams without protection would have to surrender a first round draft pick in order to sign either Pence or Lincecum.
- Nelson Cruz, Adrian Gonzalez named Players of the Month 0
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 94
- Report: Brewers hire Craig Counsell to replace Ron Roenicke 26
- Brewers fire manager Ron Roenicke 54
- Jordan Walden lands on disabled list with biceps injury 11
- Rays place outfielder Desmond Jennings on 15-day disabled list with bursitis in his left knee 1
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 34
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring 139
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (363)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (201)
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore (162)
- Torii Hunter doesn’t care what Floyd Mayweather has done outside of the boxing ring (139)
- The Orioles will play to no fans tomorrow; this weekend’s series will move to Tropicana Field (125)