The Marlins want Jose Fernandez to tone it down

Sep 13, 2013, 8:24 AM EDT

Glen Frey

I feel like most of fandom was on Jose Fernandez’s side the other night after he admired his home run and ruffled the Braves’ feathers. No one particularly approved of the spitting-at-Chris-Johnson thing, but overall the sense I’ve gotten from people is that, hey, he’s young, he hit his first-ever homer and he can be forgiven for being a bit exuberant about it. More broadly, I think most fans roll their eyes at unwritten rules things and there’s nothing wrong with a kid having a bit of fun out there. He plays for the Marlins for cryin’ out loud, let him enjoy himself for five minutes, OK?

The Marlins, however, are on the Braves’ side with this one:

Even after emotions had settled Thursday, [Marlins manager Mike] Redmond sided with Atlanta.

“Jose is an emotional guy,” he said. “That’s part of his game that is going to improve. We don’t want to take the ‘having fun’ aspect away from him. That’s what makes him him. But at the same time, I think maybe he can center that a little bit. … That might be a part of his game he needs to look at, and maybe try to do something different.”

Bah. If I’m Redmond my only comment would be “well, if they want to put him in his place maybe they should figure out how to get a hit off of him once in a while.” But apparently we’re in a no fun aloud zone.

1. flyinhighwithvick - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:29 AM

Craig – I think you’re a knucklehead, but you always have the best pictures!

2. duvisited - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:30 AM

Then again, Redmond sees more of Fernandez than whatever happens to be caught on camera, so maybe he has a point.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:51 AM

Mike Redmond, stand-up guy – the guy you always want to have your back. Let the veterans on the other team rag, show up and provoke your young player, then take their side when he reacts to them. I always thought that Scrooge McLoria peecked heem because he was the cheapest managerial candidate available, but now I’m beginning to suspect that Redmond got hired because the Crawling “I” sensed he could have the perfect sycophant representing him in the dugout, too.

• yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:24 AM

Right on the money.

3. josemartez - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM

I’ve never been a fan a players admiring their home runs, especially when they literally stand there for a second or two. I say just put your head down and run. Regardless, the home run thing wasn’t a /huge/ deal, but the spitting thing was dumb.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:46 AM

The “spitting thing” was better than that loudmouthed chickenshit Chris Johnson deserved.

• paperlions - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

If you watch the review of the entire game. When Gattis hit his HR before Fernandez did, Gattis both admired his HR and stared down Fernandez before leaving the batters box. Then Chris Johnson was talking smack about Fernandez’s stuff both while in the batters box and while trotting to 1B as his FB was caught. If you watch the video, you also see Johnson both spitting on the ground in front of Fernandez before he reaches 3B on his HR trot, and Johnson yapping at him. McCann came off as horribly small and hugely hypocritical by getting in Fernandez’s face for doing exactly what (and less) his own team mates do.

The Braves instigated this stuff long before Fernandez hit his HR and continued to instigate during the HR….and they appeared to do so because Fernandez smiles and has fun while playing baseball and because they were losing.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:51 AM

What this guy said^^

If the Braves don’t want to be shown up, they should (1) stop trying to show up the opposing player, and (b) outperform the opposing player. It seems to me the Braves are mad because Jose Ferandez was better at baseball AND better at showmanship last night. I saw a 28-year-old journeyman and a 27-year-old who lived in a dumpster last year decide to pick on a 20 year old kid because they were mad that he was playing better than them. Seems awfully petty on the Braves part to me, from the guys who really are supposed to know better.

What do the unwritten rules say about whining??

• mazblast - Sep 15, 2013 at 12:51 PM

sabathia–The unwritten rules say that whining is OK if you’re playing on a big-market team that’s underperforming. The Braves meet only one of the two criteria, as they definitely are not underperforming.

If the Braves wanted to handle this right, they should have said one word to any of the Marlins–”Standings”.

4. drunkenhooliganism - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:41 AM

“Settle down Jose. We don’t want people to start noticing this team, we might have to staff the ticket office again”

5. Kevin S. - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Yeah, only the owner is allowed to be tacky and obnoxious.

6. Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

I see that Mike Redmond is getting with the Feesh brainstem trust official program: identify the players our (very) few remaining fans like, then establish the long-term basis for unloading them as soon as they’re eligible for the big bucks. Slowly, subtly, let’s start badmouthing El Keed now, while at the same time forcing him to become blander, less interesting and enjoyable to watch or think about and, a little beet at a time, progressively less attractive overall – and then, voila, less negativity when we unload him ahead of arbitration eligibility!

7. louhudson23 - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:44 AM

Act like a dick,get treated like a dick…

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:47 AM

You referring to the Barves in general?

• paperlions - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:28 AM

Nah, Lou is speaking from experience.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:32 AM

What you and CC posted is completely different than laughing at dudes after getting them out. I am going to take spacemakers post with a huge grain of salt as it’s the first I have heard of it.

8. thevauntedchris - Sep 13, 2013 at 8:57 AM

The heat is definitely on

• dexterismyhero - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:03 AM

Party Town!!!!!!

Wrong song chris……

• thevauntedchris - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:08 AM

My comment was about Glenn Frey and the article in general, not a correct album cover.

But since it’s 2013 and everybody on the internet is an anonymous d*ckhead that knows everything or takes everything way too literally, congratulations. Mercy. Let it be, “Glenn Frey solo years” fan club president.

9. julioooooooooo - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:01 AM

What a poorly written article.

• seattlej - Sep 13, 2013 at 1:48 PM

What a poorly stated comment. His isn’t an “article”, it’s a blog post on the Internet. If you’re looking for well written articles, this isn’t the place for you. Maybe go grab the latest New Yorker or something…

• julioooooooooo - Sep 13, 2013 at 3:35 PM

You’re pretty good at arguing semantics.. And being a douche.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 5:23 PM

And you’re not much good at all at anything we can discern.

10. bdunker - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:10 AM

I have so much respect for this kid now. The Braves tried to intimidate him and he fought back the best way the best players do. With skill and a little bit of luck. The Braves showed nothing but immaturity and disrespect.
    Welcome to the big leagues. kid. You deserve to be there.

11. spacemaker101 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:31 AM

Bdunker- did you watch the game??? Fernandez was laughing everytime j-up or anyone else got out.. He pimped tf out of a homerun against the leading team in his division.. And spit rounding third base like who does he think he is Miguel Cabrera?? Kid shoulda got punched in the mouth. You just saw the homerun and then everyone get pissed.. Actually watch the game and understand what’s going on before you try and rag on the braves douche.

• emdash01 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:47 AM

A pitcher…being pleased he got people out?! Oh my stars, what a terrible breach of decorum. Definitely merits violence.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Was he really laughing every time he got someone out?
      If so…I may have to re-think the stance I took yesterday?

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:37 AM

And if he did laugh when he got dudes out this could explain what Redmond is getting at.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:15 AM

He didn’t. Our predictably semiliterate fan of all things dick-waving is grossly exaggerating on behalf of his beloved veteran ten year olds.El Keed probably would have been better off just to smile and ignore those uniformed scats in the Barves dugout, but what they hell – they instigated it and they go as good as they gave and better. Waaaaaaaahhhhhh, poor wittoo Chris Johnson. Waaaaaahhhhhhh, poor wittoo McCann (was the Chuck McCann?).

And get stuffed, Mike Redmond. You just made it possible for me to stop feeling sorry for you.

12. spacemaker101 - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:33 AM

Spitting while rounding third base is like a hitter getting out and running over the mound… You just don’t do that shit in the big leagues.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Journeyman third-basemen also don’t yell at the pitcher that “you got nothin” after being retired for the third time in a game, but the Braves’ did.

Rookie utility players should admire HR’s and stare down the pitcher after hitting them, but Gattis did.

Journeyman third-basemen shouldn’t spit in front of an opposing player during his HR trot, but again the Braves’ did.

Veteran catchers shouldn’t try to discipline opposing players when they cross the plate, but McCann did.

Somehow, Fernandez is the one who needs to be taught a lesson?

I get it, a 20 year old kid is more exuberant than perhaps he should be. On the other hand, how freakin sensitive are the Braves that they can’t handle a kid on a last place team who smiles in the midst of his last start during a personal dream season? Get over it, Maryann!

• yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:28 AM

Chris Johnson and his ugly swing have managed an improbable fluke season, so he thinks it gives him latitude to run his mouth. What pisses me off the most – after Redmond’s chickenshit attitude – is that Jose was contrite after being reprimanded and Johnson was still talking crap. I’m glad the Braves gave me a reason to reaffirm my distaste for them just before the post season.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:41 AM

CC: There is a huge difference between smiling and laughing.
        If Jose was laughing I am not going to defend him one bit.
        Please know this is the first I have heard of this.
        And if it’s true…it certainly explains the actions by Gattis, McCann and Johnson.
        And I was defending Jose yesterday. But laughing? If true…way…way over the line.
        I am talking bush league. Cause’ even little leaguers know not to disrespect the other team (and the game) but doing something like that. Thanks punk ass bullshit territory.
        I hope it isn’t true. Cause’ I wanna’ like this kid.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:59 AM

Did you see his post-game interview? He laughed often. I get the impression that he laughs a lot. He didn’t point and laugh at players. More to the point, he is not an undertaker or grief counselor. He should be able to smile and laugh with his team mates when he is happy.

How sensitive are the Braves that they can’t handle a kid laughing? It is a good this these Braves don’t play some other sports where outright taunting is the norm.

• Old Gator - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:24 AM

St. Louis – El Keed banters with opposing players but except for last night, when the wussy Barves really asked for it, he doesn’t deride or mock them. Ever. Most of the laughing he does is between himself and his own infielders, or with the guys on the bench. Six years ago he was escaping from Cuba in an overloaded boat with bullets whizzing overhead and a few hours later hauling his mother back to the boat through a stormy ocean he dived into to rescue her after she fell out – at 15 years old. The year before that, he spent a few months in prison for an earlier failed escape attempt. That didn’t stop him anymore that some loud-talking trailer trash who is 0-7 against him or a cheapo pickup manager will. What has Chris Johnson, Gattis or McCann got on that?

Nothing. Fuck all three of them.

Spacemaker, stick a sock in it, and I don’t mean your mouth. You aren’t fit to launder El Keed’s jockstraps.

• stlouis1baseball - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:28 AM

“How sensitive are the Braves that they can’t handle a kid laughing?”

I understand what you are getting at. But laughing with your teammates is completely different than laughing when you get dudes out. You know…while on the field.
        Put it this way… In our competitive softball league…if the opposing pitcher were to laugh after getting guys out everyone on our team would be aiming at that dudes chins every time up the rest of the game and most likely the 1st half of the next game we face him. And we would do this without even talking about it.
        And I am talking about competitive softball.
        It would be ten fold worse if that were to happen in the big leagues.
        I really hope he didn’t laugh after getting guys out.
        If he did…I retract everything I posted in his favor yesterday.

• sabathiawouldbegoodattheeighthtoo - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM

He was laughing with his fielders about the plays they made.

As you described, in your league if the pitcher did something you didn’t like, you would aim to settle it with your performance.

Basically, I think he has every right to enjoy himself, and the Braves have every right to dislike it. I think it goes too far for the Braves to claim some sense of absolute righteousness.

• km9000 - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:23 PM

This reminds me of when the teacher says “It doesn’t matter who started it.” As a kid it makes no sense whatsoever, but when you get older, it starts to.

Fernandez may have been out of line, but yeah, he’s a rookie. And his team is terrible, which just makes the Braves look way too soft. Just say something to Fernandez’s catcher maybe. If some kid in the crowd taunts the Braves, are they gonna tell him to shut up and leave them alone, or else they’ll tell on him?

13. alexo0 - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:02 AM

I think Redmond is trying to follow in Fredi’s footsteps and one day make the managing switch from the Marlins to the Braves, the way he was sucking up to them and selling out his own player.

P.S. Who do you think you are Chris Johnson, aka Freddy Sanchez 2.0

• yahmule - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:33 AM

That’s great. My buddy and I were texting each other while this went down and the Freddy Sanchez comp was thrown out there.

14. areyesrn - Sep 13, 2013 at 10:27 AM

maan…right now Jose Fernandez should be allowed to do anything he wants….I love watching him pitch (except against the Phillies :-D). I just hope that he isn’t a Tommy John candidate in the next few years…

15. sadtwinsfan - Sep 13, 2013 at 11:44 AM

i would hate to see the unique egalitarian humility of baseball replaced by a baseball equivalent of the end zone dance. does everything have to be for the kids?

get off of my lawn!

16. km9000 - Sep 13, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Speaking of no fun aloud, what about celebrating walk-offs by throwing water on the game’s hero? It’s not the act itself, but the fact that every damn team does it, like they did with the pie in the face in previous years. Come up with something new! And how about some better nicknames than “A-Gon” and “Car-Go”? Now what did I come in here for?

17. antaresrex - Sep 13, 2013 at 4:15 PM

I feel like any pitcher who leaves the yard – especially with a shot like that – should be able to style it up a little without fear of retribution. Major league pitchers should not be allowing their brothers in arms to be lighting them up like that.

18. moogro - Sep 13, 2013 at 4:42 PM

All The Keed did was enjoy the game expressively, including the opponent’s home runs. The Braves were enforcing some unwritten grumpy rule.

19. realgone2 - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:21 AM

Well good for him. I hope enjoys losing for the forseeable future. The Marlins must be the most pathetic team in sports.

• mazblast - Sep 15, 2013 at 12:56 PM

If they’re not, they’re certainly in the top five. I favor the Jaguars for that title myself, maybe the Bobcats, but your mileage may vary.

Jackie Robinson Day is bittersweet