Sep 13, 2013, 8:24 AM EDT
I feel like most of fandom was on Jose Fernandez’s side the other night after he admired his home run and ruffled the Braves’ feathers. No one particularly approved of the spitting-at-Chris-Johnson thing, but overall the sense I’ve gotten from people is that, hey, he’s young, he hit his first-ever homer and he can be forgiven for being a bit exuberant about it. More broadly, I think most fans roll their eyes at unwritten rules things and there’s nothing wrong with a kid having a bit of fun out there. He plays for the Marlins for cryin’ out loud, let him enjoy himself for five minutes, OK?
Even after emotions had settled Thursday, [Marlins manager Mike] Redmond sided with Atlanta.
“Jose is an emotional guy,” he said. “That’s part of his game that is going to improve. We don’t want to take the ‘having fun’ aspect away from him. That’s what makes him him. But at the same time, I think maybe he can center that a little bit. … That might be a part of his game he needs to look at, and maybe try to do something different.”
Bah. If I’m Redmond my only comment would be “well, if they want to put him in his place maybe they should figure out how to get a hit off of him once in a while.” But apparently we’re in a no fun aloud zone.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 8
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 17
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)