Sep 13, 2013, 8:24 AM EDT
I feel like most of fandom was on Jose Fernandez’s side the other night after he admired his home run and ruffled the Braves’ feathers. No one particularly approved of the spitting-at-Chris-Johnson thing, but overall the sense I’ve gotten from people is that, hey, he’s young, he hit his first-ever homer and he can be forgiven for being a bit exuberant about it. More broadly, I think most fans roll their eyes at unwritten rules things and there’s nothing wrong with a kid having a bit of fun out there. He plays for the Marlins for cryin’ out loud, let him enjoy himself for five minutes, OK?
Even after emotions had settled Thursday, [Marlins manager Mike] Redmond sided with Atlanta.
“Jose is an emotional guy,” he said. “That’s part of his game that is going to improve. We don’t want to take the ‘having fun’ aspect away from him. That’s what makes him him. But at the same time, I think maybe he can center that a little bit. … That might be a part of his game he needs to look at, and maybe try to do something different.”
Bah. If I’m Redmond my only comment would be “well, if they want to put him in his place maybe they should figure out how to get a hit off of him once in a while.” But apparently we’re in a no fun aloud zone.
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 21
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 83
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- 2015 Preview: Chicago Cubs 14
- Unsigned 2014 No. 1 overall pick Brady Aiken undergoes Tommy John surgery 61
- 2015 Preview: Seattle Mariners 15
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- College baseball player cut after making offensive tweet about Mo’ne Davis (115)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (88)