Sep 13, 2013, 10:15 AM EDT
Out since early June with an elbow injury that was recently diagnosed as arthritis, Pirates left-hander Wandy Rodriguez threw a simulated game yesterday.
Rodriguez has gotten this far into his recovery before–and actually made a minor-league rehab appearance earlier this month–only to suffer a setback and be shut down again several times. And another setback would likely mean the end of his season.
However, manager Clint Hurdle told George Von Benko of MLB.com that Rodriguez “seemed to be in a good place” during the simulated game and “he’s getting close” to a potential return from the DL. Of course, Rodriguez rejoining the team and being impressive enough to warrant a spot on the playoff roster–and perhaps in the playoff rotation–are two very different things.
Rodriguez will almost surely pick up his $13 million player option for 2014, so if nothing else making an appearance before the season ends could provide some optimism heading into the offseason.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (91)