Sep 14, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Coming off a loss last night, the Yankees needed the vintage CC Sabathia or a reasonable facsimile to show up this afternoon against the Red Sox. It didn’t happen.
Sabathia was touched up for five runs on nine hits and four walks over six innings as part of a 5-1 loss. After beginning the afternoon with a perfect first inning, he was scored upon in each of the next four innings. The veteran left-hander now has a 4.90 ERA for the year, including a 6.58 ERA in 11 starts since the All-Star break.
While Sabathia labored, Jon Lester was brilliant for Boston, giving up just one run on three hits and two walks over eight innings. He now owns a 2.37 ERA over 11 starts during the second half and has allowed three runs or fewer in all but one of them.
The Red Sox currently sit at 91-59 on the year while their magic number to clinch the AL East is down to five. Meanwhile, the 79-70 Yankees find themselves 2.5 games out of a Wild Card spot with 13 games remaining. With a crowded field in the race, the Yankees can’t afford many more missteps. They’ll attempt to salvage one tomorrow night when Ivan Nova goes up against Clay Buchholz.
- Brad Ausmus receives a vote of confidence from new Tigers general manager Al Avila 8
- Title or no title, Dave Dombrowski’s tenure in Detroit was a success 27
- Dave Dombrowski out as Tigers General Manager, team president; Al Avila takes over 59
- Blue Jays’ Aaron Sanchez, John Gibbons disciplined in the wake of Sunday’s plunkings 72
- Believe the hype: Carlos Correa is already a superstar 34
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” 99
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 55
- Adrian Beltre needs just five innings for the third cycle of his career 16
- The benches cleared in Friday’s Giants-Rangers game (208)
- Blue Jays acquire David Price from the Tigers (113)
- Rangers land ace left-hander Cole Hamels from Phillies (106)
- Gregg Zaun to Yordano Ventura: “stop writing checks with your mouth that your skinny ass can’t cash” (99)
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights (88)