Sep 14, 2013, 5:06 PM EDT
Coming off a loss last night, the Yankees needed the vintage CC Sabathia or a reasonable facsimile to show up this afternoon against the Red Sox. It didn’t happen.
Sabathia was touched up for five runs on nine hits and four walks over six innings as part of a 5-1 loss. After beginning the afternoon with a perfect first inning, he was scored upon in each of the next four innings. The veteran left-hander now has a 4.90 ERA for the year, including a 6.58 ERA in 11 starts since the All-Star break.
While Sabathia labored, Jon Lester was brilliant for Boston, giving up just one run on three hits and two walks over eight innings. He now owns a 2.37 ERA over 11 starts during the second half and has allowed three runs or fewer in all but one of them.
The Red Sox currently sit at 91-59 on the year while their magic number to clinch the AL East is down to five. Meanwhile, the 79-70 Yankees find themselves 2.5 games out of a Wild Card spot with 13 games remaining. With a crowded field in the race, the Yankees can’t afford many more missteps. They’ll attempt to salvage one tomorrow night when Ivan Nova goes up against Clay Buchholz.
- Matt Garza ejected after hitting Andrew McCutchen a second time 2
- Tigers hang on for second straight win against Royals 2
- Phil Hughes could finish the season with the best K/BB ratio in MLB history 10
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 25
- Clayton Kershaw wins his 20th game of the season 11
- Why are so many people acting like Bryce Harper is a bum? 80
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned 100
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 72
- Geddy Lee’s baseball obsession makes it really hard for me to hate Rush (118)
- Ron Washington claims he resigned because he cheated on his wife (103)
- It certainly looks like Barry Bonds’ criminal conviction is going to be overturned (101)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (83)
- Umpire ejects jackwagon fan heckling Bryce Harper in Atlanta last night (82)