Sep 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EDT
Royals starter Ervin Santana was once again excellent, blanking the Tigers over six and two-thirds innings of work. The right-hander allowed just five hits and walked one while striking out five. He was lifted in the seventh after recording the second out following back-to-back singles, though his pitch count was only at 83. Lefty Will Smith was brought in to face Alex Avila. Avila was pinch-hit for by Nick Castellanos, who flew out to end the inning.
With the victory (their 14th in their last 20 games), the Royals improve to 78-70, moving them three games behind the Rays for the second AL Wild Card. They are now tied with the Orioles and a half-game behind the Yankees. The Indians are in the process of wrapping up a victory over the White Sox to move one game behind the Rays.
- Yordano Ventura ejected for hitting Brett Lawrie with a pitch 0
- Pete Rose joins FOX as a baseball analyst 14
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 55
- Josh Hamilton’s teammates say he’s in great shape and ready to play 28
- Mike Trout hit his 100th career home run to become the youngest member of the 100 HR/100 SB club 26
- Make that two: Alex Rodriguez hits second homer of the night, giving him 658 for his career 46
- Alex Rodriguez hit his 657th career home run 48
- Let’s all just stare at Kris Bryant’s numbers for a while 28
- The Commissioner’s Office thinks that the Angels could indeed go after Josh Hamilton under his contract (153)
- “Why Ted Cruz is like the Atlanta Braves” (150)
- “We no longer need the terrorists. We’re now so good at terrorizing ourselves.” (143)
- Another argument in favor of making the DH universal (127)
- When it comes to Josh Hamilton, Arte Moreno is a craven opportunist, not a “smart businessman” (116)