Sep 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
Royals starter Ervin Santana was once again excellent, blanking the Tigers over six and two-thirds innings of work. The right-hander allowed just five hits and walked one while striking out five. He was lifted in the seventh after recording the second out following back-to-back singles, though his pitch count was only at 83. Lefty Will Smith was brought in to face Alex Avila. Avila was pinch-hit for by Nick Castellanos, who flew out to end the inning.
With the victory (their 14th in their last 20 games), the Royals improve to 78-70, moving them three games behind the Rays for the second AL Wild Card. They are now tied with the Orioles and a half-game behind the Yankees. The Indians are in the process of wrapping up a victory over the White Sox to move one game behind the Rays.
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners 87
- MLB, NPB nearing new posting system agreement 9
- Report: Talks between the Mets and Curtis Granderson have “intensified” 31
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury 159
- Marlins sign free agent catcher Jarrod Saltalamacchia to three-year, $21 million contract 44
- Yankees agree to seven-year, $153M contract with free agent outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury (159)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- When will the Yankees regret the Jacoby Ellsbury contract? (99)
- Robinson Cano met with the Mariners in Seattle (87)
- UPDATE: Mariners planning to offer nine years, $225 million to Robinson Cano (86)