Sep 14, 2013, 9:47 PM EST
Royals starter Ervin Santana was once again excellent, blanking the Tigers over six and two-thirds innings of work. The right-hander allowed just five hits and walked one while striking out five. He was lifted in the seventh after recording the second out following back-to-back singles, though his pitch count was only at 83. Lefty Will Smith was brought in to face Alex Avila. Avila was pinch-hit for by Nick Castellanos, who flew out to end the inning.
With the victory (their 14th in their last 20 games), the Royals improve to 78-70, moving them three games behind the Rays for the second AL Wild Card. They are now tied with the Orioles and a half-game behind the Yankees. The Indians are in the process of wrapping up a victory over the White Sox to move one game behind the Rays.
- Mets sign 40-year-old Bartolo Colon for two years, $20 million 6
- MLB rules committee decides to eliminate collisions at home plate 12
- Mariners sign Corey Hart to incentive-laden deal 25
- David Price would not consider an extension with the Mariners if he’s traded there 33
- Media paying for athlete interviews? Not likely. But watch this stuff closely anyway. 20
- Robinson Cano agrees to $240 million deal with Mariners (260)
- Report: Mariners willing to offer Robinson Cano a 10-year, $240 million deal (143)
- Report: Yankees have agreed to a three-year deal with Carlos Beltran (125)
- Brett Gardner is drawing “significant” trade interest (113)
- Managers, GMs to meet today to discuss the abolition of home plate collisions (113)