Ever wanted to have Vin Scully teach you about Friday the 13th? This is for you!

Sep 14, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT

scully ap AP

Last night was Friday, the 13th of September, considered to be an unlucky day among the superstitious. For the uninitiated, Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully took time in between game action to bring us up to speed on the history of the day, discussing its origin, differences among other cultures, and he even dropped in a Tupac Shakur reference.

People tend to go a little overboard when they hail Scully as the best broadcaster in the business, but last night was yet another reminder that, indeed, Scully is the best broadcaster in the business.

Friday the 13th did happen to be bad news for the Dodgers, who lost behind future 2013 NL Cy Young award winner Clayton Kershaw, who allowed three runs (two earned) in seven innings, allowing eight hits and walking none while striking out six.

1. yankeepunk3000 - Sep 14, 2013 at 8:06 PM

skully is the greatest broadcaster around I feel bad for Dodger fans when he retires. you can have a legend do it for 60 years and after he retires you get Steve Lyon ans Eric kerros. that’s a fucken drop off. Skully will always be the best no other broadcaster comes close

• 4d3fect - Sep 14, 2013 at 8:31 PM

As much as I admire the man and his broadcasting, this veered into the creeptastic for me.

• meekodev - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:14 PM

I disagree. He has used the time to teach about D-Day among other important dates. There is always something in the realm of “common interest” I don’t know even as a former librarian. Learning a little about both American and other cultures on the bad day date of the 13th was something that kept my interest during the down parts of the game.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:44 PM

Yankee: Sorry, but I’m still amazed by people who read something and then 20 seconds later cannot remember how to spell names they just read. His name is Scully. Oh, and it’s Karros.

• acdc84 - Sep 15, 2013 at 9:29 PM

Funny post, but if you were interested in the truth ud know Eric COLLINS is the play-by-play guy next to Steve Lyons. Eric Karros does the pregame show on KCAL (the secondary station that carries probably 20% of Dodger games), and he’s on Fox’s B (or possibly C) team for national Saturday games.

But thanks for your (lame) attempt at an insightful post!!

• acdc84 - Sep 15, 2013 at 9:40 PM

…And by the way, I’m not sure what team YOU follow but as a Dodger fan I’m pretty happy about the team’s short, medium, and long-term outlook. LAD should be contenders for the foreseeable future, and even if the future broadcasting team sucks (which they DON’T), I’d much rather root for a perennial contender with a bad broadcasting team (though they’re actually good) than a team with All-Star broadcasters that lose 90 games a year…

2. mrpinkca - Sep 14, 2013 at 8:44 PM

Vin Scully could teach me about anything.

3. nysportsfanatic - Sep 14, 2013 at 8:49 PM

Apparently Vin likes Wikipedia

• Anoesis - Sep 15, 2013 at 10:36 AM

Who doesn’t? It’s a good example of basic information with the option for folks to correct inaccuracies, with references you can check yourself. Vin’s been around a lot longer than Wikipedia. I’m betting he knew that stuff without having to read it on the internet.

• dlf9 - Sep 15, 2013 at 3:01 PM

Towards the end of that clip, he said that he used Google. I love that the octogenarian stays current as well as not forgetting the past..

• forsch31 - Sep 15, 2013 at 6:00 PM

Because it’s open source, Wikipedia is pretty unreliable, although it is better than it used to be. It’s usually a good place to start, but it’s always a good idea to check out other sources of information, especially those that are actually researched.

4. chill1184 - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:10 PM

Scully is the man

5. downhillrider - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:24 PM

man I was watching/listening to that game. it was 0-0 I think with no action when he decided to talk about friday the 13 and it was painful. then he talked about who died on that same day. If I ever need to sleep I will play clip.

• yahmule - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:00 PM

Yeah, a scoreless duel between Kershaw and Bumgarner as described by Vin Scully. That must have sucked for anyone who doesn’t like baseball.

6. bbk1000 - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I wonder what his pickup line was like when he was younger………

OK, there’s two balls here, you can expect a high hard one, inside, chin music…

7. kicksave1980 - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:45 PM

I watch a lot of Dodgers games just to hear Vin Scully, and I have for years. He’s the best living broadcaster, and I LOVE the one-man booth. I’d rather hear one broadcaster talk about the game than have 3 talk to each other for 2 hours.

My personal favorite, having grown up in St. Louis, will always be Jack Buck. Go crazy folks.

8. Brian Donohue - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:56 PM

He’s an artist, and that reminds me of another Vin story. Can’t remember if it was last season or the one before, it was an interleague game, Detroit visiting LA. The hitter for Det. is a kid named Brendan Bosch. Vin announces him and delivers a few raw facts on his history, then begins to muse over that name, Bosch. Reminds Vin of a painter in Europe from centuries ago, and he describes some of Hieronymus Bosch’s paintings. Vin concludes: “if you’ve ever seen any of that Bosch’s paintings, brother you’ll never forget them.”

9. sandpiperair - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:32 PM

Sorry, but this crap is painful to listen to.

• NatsLady - Sep 15, 2013 at 6:59 AM

I don’t. Luckily with MLB.tv you can switch to the other broadcasters, who don’t have that grating voice (usually) and who try to do a straightforward job of narrating the actual baseball game. The one guy I ALWAYS turn off is Scully. Go ahead with the thumbs.

• Anoesis - Sep 15, 2013 at 10:33 AM

A shame you find the finest sports announcer of the past 60 years “grating.” An even bigger shame you feel the need to post that example of questionable taste.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 16, 2013 at 3:54 AM

Hey, no accounting for differences in people’s tastes. Some folks hate the Beatles, Mozart, Ansel Adams. Me, I love jazz but not hip-hop, radishes but not cucumber. Vinny turned this immigrant kid into a lifelong baseball fan, so for me, he still rocks.

• BalladOfKyleBlanks - Sep 16, 2013 at 6:29 PM

I don’t understand you. A lot of the time you’re harmless, but other times you’re needlessly negative, bordering on hateful, and then when it’s thrown back in your face or someone else makes a negative/hateful comment you turn into church lady. What’s your deal?

10. contraryguy - Sep 15, 2013 at 8:55 AM

Vin was probably there when the number 13 was invented.

11. forsch31 - Sep 15, 2013 at 5:57 PM

What I love is that Vin doesn’t skip a beat when something happens on the field. Doesn’t rush what he’s saying or cut himself off to call the action. It all just flows….

This was 'the perfect baseball game'
  1. S. Kazmir (4978)