Sep 14, 2013, 7:55 PM EDT
Last night was Friday, the 13th of September, considered to be an unlucky day among the superstitious. For the uninitiated, Dodgers broadcaster Vin Scully took time in between game action to bring us up to speed on the history of the day, discussing its origin, differences among other cultures, and he even dropped in a Tupac Shakur reference.
People tend to go a little overboard when they hail Scully as the best broadcaster in the business, but last night was yet another reminder that, indeed, Scully is the best broadcaster in the business.
Friday the 13th did happen to be bad news for the Dodgers, who lost behind future 2013 NL Cy Young award winner Clayton Kershaw, who allowed three runs (two earned) in seven innings, allowing eight hits and walking none while striking out six.
- Settling the Scores: Thursday’s results 0
- Breaking: Cardinals fire their scouting director, likely due to the Astros hacking scandal 54
- Bryce Harper is naked in ESPN’s “Body Issue” 54
- Today is the day: Marlins ace Jose Fernandez returns from Tommy John surgery 4
- A-Rod, the Yankees and the union in talks to direct his $6 million home run bonus to charity 29
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 53
- Video: Joey Butler breaks up Carlos Carrasco’s no-hitter with two outs in the ninth inning 12
- Bill Stoneman taking over as Angels’ interim GM 17
- With the same-sex marriage decision, the San Francisco Giants get another big win (276)
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (77)
- There was a super ump show in Chicago yesterday (75)