Sep 14, 2013, 6:45 PM EDT
Manager Terry Collins had called on Francisco after Christian Yelich led off the inning with a double. The right-hander promptly struck out Giancarlo Stanton, then walked Justin Ruggiano to bring up Morrison. Morrison fell behind 0-2 and was preparing for Francisco’s third offering before asking for time. Home plate umpire Tim Welke did not grant it, so Morrison quickly had to get his hand back on the bat in time, which he did, lacing Francisco’s 92 MPH fastball back up the middle. The ball caromed off of Francisco’s right wrist towards the first base line, allowing Yelich to score — putting the Marlins up 3-0 — while first baseman Lucas Duda applied the tag for the second out.
Francisco, who recently turned 34 years old, made his season debut on September 8. He had spent most of the season on the disabled list recovering from elbow surgery. In four appearances this season spanning 2.2 innings, he has a 10.13 ERA.
Update: Via Twitter, ESPN’s Adam Rubin says the ball actually hit him on the thumb, causing it to swell “significantly”.
- A pitch clock in Major League Baseball? No thanks. 9
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 39
- Garrett Richards suffers ugly left knee injury 22
- Giants win protest, will complete rain-halted game at Wrigley Field on Thursday afternoon 43
- Royals might actually know what they are doing 33
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco 70
- Clown shoes in Chicago: the Cubs grounds crew couldn’t get the tarp on the field 58
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights 69
- Mike Matheny addresses turmoil in Ferguson: “It’s a sad situation. It’s a tough situation for our city” (127)
- Here’s today’s dose of barfy Derek Jeter sentiment (82)
- Let’s speed up the pace of play. But let’s not be gimmicky about it. Let’s just enforce the rules. (74)
- Curt Schilling reveals that he was diagnosed with mouth cancer, blames smokeless tobacco (71)
- And That Happened: Tuesday’s scores and highlights (69)