Sep 14, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Hanley Ramirez was forced to leave Thursday’s game due to what was originally described as mild left hamstring tightness. However, it turns out that he’s actually dealing with an irritated nerve in his back.
Ramirez dealt with a similar injury back in 2011 and required a stint on the disabled list. According to Austin Laymance and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, he received a cortisone injection following an MRI yesterday and is expected to return to action at some point next week. The Dodgers are setting things up for the postseason at this point, so manager Don Mattingly isn’t going to rush him back on the field.
“We’re going to be able to rest him,” Mattingly said. “We don’t have to push him out there at this point. We’ll be careful with him as far as making sure that when he gets back out there, we’re on the other side of it.”
Ramirez, 29, is batting .342/.390/.634 with 18 home runs and 53 RBI in 79 games this season. His 1.024 OPS would be first in the National League if he had enough at-bats to qualify.
- Yasmany Tomas signs a six-year, $68.5 million deal with the Diamondbacks 86
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap 162
- Red Sox announce four-year, $88 million deal with Hanley Ramirez, DFA Juan Francisco 35
- The Cubs have offered Jon Lester “north of $135 million” 68
- Pablo Sandoval’s deal: five years, $98 million plus an option 43
- Kyle Seager, Mariners close to $100 million extension 26
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot 286
- So what would the Red Sox look like with Hanley Ramirez and Pablo Sandoval? 49
- The 2015 Hall of Fame ballot is out — Randy Johnson, Pedro Martinez are new on the ballot (286)
- No, the Red Sox signing Pablo and Hanley is not proof that baseball needs a salary cap (162)
- More Hall of Fame ballots like Adam Rubin’s please (140)
- Report: Pablo Sandoval chose the Red Sox over the Giants because he felt disrespected (137)
- UPDATE: The Pablo Sandoval-Red Sox deal is done, pending a physical (133)