Sep 14, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Hanley Ramirez was forced to leave Thursday’s game due to what was originally described as mild left hamstring tightness. However, it turns out that he’s actually dealing with an irritated nerve in his back.
Ramirez dealt with a similar injury back in 2011 and required a stint on the disabled list. According to Austin Laymance and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, he received a cortisone injection following an MRI yesterday and is expected to return to action at some point next week. The Dodgers are setting things up for the postseason at this point, so manager Don Mattingly isn’t going to rush him back on the field.
“We’re going to be able to rest him,” Mattingly said. “We don’t have to push him out there at this point. We’ll be careful with him as far as making sure that when he gets back out there, we’re on the other side of it.”
Ramirez, 29, is batting .342/.390/.634 with 18 home runs and 53 RBI in 79 games this season. His 1.024 OPS would be first in the National League if he had enough at-bats to qualify.
- Phillies GM told Ryan Howard they’d be better off “not with him but without him” 83
- Trea Turner’s agent is unhappy his client is in limbo after trade to Nationals 47
- Nexen Heroes accept Jung-Ho Kang posting fee from unidentified MLB team 33
- Giants acquire Casey McGehee from the Marlins 16
- The Padres have given their fans something to talk about. Which is badly needed in San Diego. 64
- Justin Upton traded to the Padres for three prospects 79
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. 145
- Jake Peavy agrees to a two-year, $24 million deal to stay with the San Francisco Giants 26
- Bud Selig will get a $6 million a year pension. Which is obscene. (145)
- The United States will seek to normalize relations with Cuba (144)
- Cubs, Red Sox, Dodgers, Padres, Rangers, and Astros interested in Phillies’ Cole Hamels (111)
- Rays, Padres, Nationals agree to 11-player trade (97)
- Chase Headley signs a four-year deal with the Yankees worth at least $52 million. (95)