Sep 14, 2013, 11:12 AM EST
Hanley Ramirez was forced to leave Thursday’s game due to what was originally described as mild left hamstring tightness. However, it turns out that he’s actually dealing with an irritated nerve in his back.
Ramirez dealt with a similar injury back in 2011 and required a stint on the disabled list. According to Austin Laymance and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, he received a cortisone injection following an MRI yesterday and is expected to return to action at some point next week. The Dodgers are setting things up for the postseason at this point, so manager Don Mattingly isn’t going to rush him back on the field.
“We’re going to be able to rest him,” Mattingly said. “We don’t have to push him out there at this point. We’ll be careful with him as far as making sure that when he gets back out there, we’re on the other side of it.”
Ramirez, 29, is batting .342/.390/.634 with 18 home runs and 53 RBI in 79 games this season. His 1.024 OPS would be first in the National League if he had enough at-bats to qualify.
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)