Sep 14, 2013, 11:12 AM EDT
Hanley Ramirez was forced to leave Thursday’s game due to what was originally described as mild left hamstring tightness. However, it turns out that he’s actually dealing with an irritated nerve in his back.
Ramirez dealt with a similar injury back in 2011 and required a stint on the disabled list. According to Austin Laymance and Ken Gurnick of MLB.com, he received a cortisone injection following an MRI yesterday and is expected to return to action at some point next week. The Dodgers are setting things up for the postseason at this point, so manager Don Mattingly isn’t going to rush him back on the field.
“We’re going to be able to rest him,” Mattingly said. “We don’t have to push him out there at this point. We’ll be careful with him as far as making sure that when he gets back out there, we’re on the other side of it.”
Ramirez, 29, is batting .342/.390/.634 with 18 home runs and 53 RBI in 79 games this season. His 1.024 OPS would be first in the National League if he had enough at-bats to qualify.
- World Series, Game 2: Giants vs. Royals lineups 8
- HBT Daily: Are the Royals doomed, doomed, doomed? 10
- Giants inhaling the air of superiority after Game 1 7
- What’s in a name? “Big Game” James did not come up big for Kansas City 22
- World Series Reset: The Royals look to pick themselves up off the mat 8
- Royals’ World Series hopes in Yordano Ventura’s hands 7
- Giants stomp Royals 7-1 in World Series Game 1 rout 34
- World Series, Game 1: Giants vs. Royals lineups 0
- Erroneous Narrative Alert: no, the Giants are not a “gritty,” anti-stats organization (121)
- So, if you’re not a fan of the Royals or Giants, who ya got? (120)
- Pedro Martinez has some opinions about who the new “face of baseball” is (112)
- “The Kansas City Royals Are the Future of Baseball” — someone actually said that. (93)
- PANTY RAID! Homeland Security agents confiscate unlicensed Kansas City Royals underwear (91)