Sep 14, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Johnny Cueto has been out since June 28 due to a recurrence of a lat strain, but he’s nearly ready to help the Reds as they attempt to maintain their lead for a Wild Card spot.
According to C. Trent Rosencrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Cueto threw another bullpen session this morning. The Reds will see how he feels Sunday before deciding the next step, but pitching coach Bryan Price indicated that he could be ready to pitch in a game.
“You have to get through all this stuff, everything’s been a process of execution and then follow-up, and the follow-up is seeing how he feels when he gets done, the following day,” Price said Saturday morning. “I think he’s real close. Pretty close is about as far as we can go with him before activation. ”
The Reds have yet to announce starters for Monday and Tuesday against the Astros, so Cueto would presumably slot in there if he feels good.
Cueto has been limited to just nine starts this season due to his nagging lat injury. He has served three different stints on the disabled list.
- Orioles activate Jonathan Schoop after 10-week absence 3
- Settling the Score: Saturday’s results 17
- Video: Kris Bryant hits a grand slam as part of a two-homer, six-RBI night 8
- Stephen Strasburg exits start with tightness in left side 10
- In the wake of the Miguel Cabrera injury the Tigers have few good options 19
- Mets general manager Sandy Alderson says Terry Collins’ job is safe 11
- Calf injury sends Miguel Cabrera to the disabled list for the first time in his career 7
- Settling the Score: Friday’s results 27
- Settling the Scores: Sunday’s results (99)
- Mike Scioscia says Josh Hamilton should apologize to Angels owner Arte Moreno (90)
- What Yasiel Puig being a pain in the butt means. And what it doesn’t mean. (78)
- Report: Jerry Dipoto “definitely out” as Angels GM (77)
- Brian Dozier is the best second baseman in baseball (72)