Sep 14, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Johnny Cueto has been out since June 28 due to a recurrence of a lat strain, but he’s nearly ready to help the Reds as they attempt to maintain their lead for a Wild Card spot.
According to C. Trent Rosencrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Cueto threw another bullpen session this morning. The Reds will see how he feels Sunday before deciding the next step, but pitching coach Bryan Price indicated that he could be ready to pitch in a game.
“You have to get through all this stuff, everything’s been a process of execution and then follow-up, and the follow-up is seeing how he feels when he gets done, the following day,” Price said Saturday morning. “I think he’s real close. Pretty close is about as far as we can go with him before activation. ”
The Reds have yet to announce starters for Monday and Tuesday against the Astros, so Cueto would presumably slot in there if he feels good.
Cueto has been limited to just nine starts this season due to his nagging lat injury. He has served three different stints on the disabled list.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 16
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 4
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 50
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 87
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Mo’ne Davis says college ballplayer who wrote an offensive tweet about her deserves a second chance (89)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (87)