Sep 14, 2013, 2:07 PM EDT
Johnny Cueto has been out since June 28 due to a recurrence of a lat strain, but he’s nearly ready to help the Reds as they attempt to maintain their lead for a Wild Card spot.
According to C. Trent Rosencrans of the Cincinnati Enquirer, Cueto threw another bullpen session this morning. The Reds will see how he feels Sunday before deciding the next step, but pitching coach Bryan Price indicated that he could be ready to pitch in a game.
“You have to get through all this stuff, everything’s been a process of execution and then follow-up, and the follow-up is seeing how he feels when he gets done, the following day,” Price said Saturday morning. “I think he’s real close. Pretty close is about as far as we can go with him before activation. ”
The Reds have yet to announce starters for Monday and Tuesday against the Astros, so Cueto would presumably slot in there if he feels good.
Cueto has been limited to just nine starts this season due to his nagging lat injury. He has served three different stints on the disabled list.
- Monday’s White Sox/Orioles game postponed due to ongoing protests and violence in Baltimore 133
- Cardinals confirm Adam Wainwright is done for season with torn Achilles 19
- Source: Josh Hamilton rejected a trade to a National League team because he wanted to go back to Texas 48
- Deal done: Josh Hamilton traded to the Texas Rangers for cash considerations 49
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal 355
- And That Happened: Sunday’s scores and highlights 88
- Alex Rodriguez hits 659th career home run, now one shy of tying Willie Mays 60
- Max Scherzer doubtful for next start due to thumb injury 5
- Pitchers batting is dumb and the DH should be universal (355)
- Comment of the Day: do not underestimate the seriousness of the anti-DH crowd (198)
- The early leaders in MLB’s “Franchise Four” thing have been announced (166)
- The Royals and White Sox had a benches-clearing fracas, five players ejected (162)
- Protesters converge on Oriole Park at Camden Yards (149)