Sep 14, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
September has not been friendly to the Rangers. They wrapped up August with a 79-56 record and a two-game lead in the AL West. Since then, they have lost 10 of 12 and now trail the Athletics by 5.5 games in the division following this afternoon’s gut-wrenching 1-0 loss. Yu Darvish started for the Rangers and, aside from allowing an RBI double to Brandon Moss in the first inning, pitched very well. The right-hander struck out ten over seven innings, allowing just the one run on four hits and a walk.
As good as Darvish was, though, A’s starter Bartolo Colon was even better. The 40-year-old blanked the Rangers over eight innings, allowing seven hits and a walk while striking out seven. Grant Balfour shut the door in the ninth to wrap up the 1-0 victory, saving his 38th game of the season.
The Rangers have now lost their last three games against the Athletics and will attempt to avoid the series sweep tomorrow as Martin Perez will oppose Jarrod Parker. The Rays can tie the Rangers for the first AL Wild Card spot with a victory over the Twins tonight. The Indians, Orioles, Yankees, and Royals all sit between 1.5 and 3.5 games out of the second Wild Card. The Rangers have exhausted any wiggle room they had entering the month. It’s do or die for them now.
- Matt Harvey makes his return. And he was really impressive. 18
- Hector Olivera’s camp denies any damage to ulnar collateral ligament 3
- UPDATE: Hunter Pence out 6-8 weeks with fracture in left forearm 28
- MLBPA: leaks are from people “who want to see Josh Hamilton hurt personally and professionally” 34
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene 146
- Report: MLB panel split on rehab for Josh Hamilton; one-year suspension is in play 45
- Joc Pederson goes 2-for-2 in Cactus League debut 6
- Braves scratch Mike Minor from start with more shoulder problems 6
- Daniel Murphy on Billy Bean: “I do disagree with the fact that Billy is a homosexual” (379)
- Suspending Josh Hamilton for a year would be obscene (146)
- Curt Schilling lowers the boom on some men tweeting threats against his daughter (137)
- That facts of Josh Hamilton’s case should not be a matter of public record (94)
- Billy Bean responds to Daniel Murphy’s comments (90)