Sep 14, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
September has not been friendly to the Rangers. They wrapped up August with a 79-56 record and a two-game lead in the AL West. Since then, they have lost 10 of 12 and now trail the Athletics by 5.5 games in the division following this afternoon’s gut-wrenching 1-0 loss. Yu Darvish started for the Rangers and, aside from allowing an RBI double to Brandon Moss in the first inning, pitched very well. The right-hander struck out ten over seven innings, allowing just the one run on four hits and a walk.
As good as Darvish was, though, A’s starter Bartolo Colon was even better. The 40-year-old blanked the Rangers over eight innings, allowing seven hits and a walk while striking out seven. Grant Balfour shut the door in the ninth to wrap up the 1-0 victory, saving his 38th game of the season.
The Rangers have now lost their last three games against the Athletics and will attempt to avoid the series sweep tomorrow as Martin Perez will oppose Jarrod Parker. The Rays can tie the Rangers for the first AL Wild Card spot with a victory over the Twins tonight. The Indians, Orioles, Yankees, and Royals all sit between 1.5 and 3.5 games out of the second Wild Card. The Rangers have exhausted any wiggle room they had entering the month. It’s do or die for them now.
- And That Happened: Thursday’s scores and highlights 58
- Alex Gordon and the M-V-P chants 36
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. 213
- And That Happened: Wednesday’s scores and highlights 63
- David Price surrenders nine consecutive hits to the Yankees in the worst start of his career 29
- Video: Jorge Soler homers in his first major league at-bat 31
- Adam Wainwright has a “dead arm” 42
- HBT Daily: Alex Gordon and the Royals keep on rolling 12
- The Cubs grounds crew was short staffed because the Cubs were trying to avoid Obamacare (247)
- Could women play major league baseball? Sure. Right now, though, the deck is stacked against them. (213)
- Forgiveness for Pete Rose? Not in this lifetime (145)
- Albert Pujols plays the “you never played the game!” card (103)
- Great Moments in Drug Testing and Punishment: The NFL Edition (101)