Sep 14, 2013, 8:56 AM EST
Things are getting very interesting in the NL Wild Card race. While the Reds lost to the Brewers last night, the Nationals beat the Phillies 6-1 for their seventh straight victory.
Ross Ohlendorf, who started in place of the scratched Stephen Strasburg, tossed five innings of one-run ball in the victory. Ryan Zimmerman homered for the ninth time in his last 11 games while Denard Span extended his hitting streak to 24 games. Only Colorado’s Michael Cuddyer has had a longer hitting streak (29 games) in MLB this season.
With the win, the surging Nationals find themselves 4.5 games back of the Reds for the second Wild Card spot with 15 games left to play. They are four back in the loss column.
Your Friday box scores:
Mariners 1, Cardinals 2 (10 innings)
- Report: Red Sox make $95 million offer to Pablo Sandoval 72
- White Sox sign Adam LaRoche to two-year, $25 million deal 34
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 72
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 130
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 84
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 157
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (157)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” (130)
- Sexual assualt charges reinstated against Tigers pitcher Evan Reed (128)