Sep 14, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
Shaun Marcum has a lot of spare time on his hands right now since he’s recovering from surgery for thoracic outlet syndrome, so he took to Twitter early yesterday to criticize the Mets television announcers.
Marcum was apparently compelled to write after Ron Darling criticized Frank Francisco for hitting Jayson Werth with a pitch on Thursday. Here’s what Darling said on the SNY broadcast, courtesy of MetsBlog.
“Boy, that was obvious,” Ron Darling said during SNY’s broadcast. ”For you folks at home — and you hear me all the time say ‘That wasn’t intentional.’ Well, this one was intentional. I mean, that’s the silliest thing I’ve ever seen. Base open, behind in the count, nails him in the back. You know what that does? It gets one of your players hit in the next inning. Put [Francisco] up to bat next inning. These things aren’t forgotten, and if it’s not forgotten this season it won’t be next year, either.”
And here’s what Marcum had to say on his Twitter account:
Marcum went 1-10 with a 5.29 ERA in 10 starts and two relief appearances with the Mets prior to surgery in July. Darling, Gary Cohen, and Keith Hernandez are widely regarded as one of the best television crews in the business, so such overt criticism is odd and unexpected, but let’s just say that Marcum will not be picking up one of their bobbleheads.
- Astros “making a strong effort” for Phillies ace Cole Hamels 14
- Angels acquire outfielders David Murphy and David DeJesus 22
- Jenrry Mejia gets 162-game ban for second failed PED test 26
- Nationals, Phillies agree to Jonathan Papelbon trade 54
- The Hall of Fame just made a MAJOR change to the Hall of Fame voting process 68
- Royals make another big move, get Ben Zobrist from A’s 85
- And That Happened: Monday’s scores and highlights 49
- The Troy Tulowitzki trade might be the strangest deadline deal ever 40
- The MLBPA is considering withholding cooperation with ESPN, Fox over Colin Cowherd’s comments (157)
- The Cubs are in discussions with the Phillies on Cole Hamels (146)
- Colin Cowherd wonders how baseball can be considered “complicated” if Dominicans can understand it (129)
- Major League Baseball rips Colin Cowherd in an official statement (123)
- Settling the Scores: Wednesday’s results (106)