Sep 14, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
The Pirates have shut down starter Wandy Rodriguez for the remainder of the year, per Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune. Rodriguez has been dealing with arthritis in his left elbow. He threw a 67-pitch simulated game on Thursday, but that was all the Pirates needed to see to make their decision.
Rodriguez hasn’t pitched since leaving in the first inning on June 5 against the Braves. His season ends with a 3.59 ERA in 62.2 innings spanning 12 starts. The Pirates have a $13.5 million option and a $2.5 million buy-out left on Rodriguez’s contract to consider for the 2014 season. Part of that $13.5 million, $5.5 million to be exact, would be paid by the Astros, who traded Rodriguez to Pittsburgh on July 24 last year.
- Hank Aaron is getting vile racist hate mail in retaliation for pointing out that racism still exists (244)
- “They Don’t Know Henry” (154)
- The Red Sox are still steamed that a PED guy played against them in the playoffs last year (130)
- Doug Glanville’s story about being racially profiled at his own home (125)
- There is still a racial divide in baseball (112)