Sep 14, 2013, 7:15 PM EDT
The Pirates have shut down starter Wandy Rodriguez for the remainder of the year, per Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune. Rodriguez has been dealing with arthritis in his left elbow. He threw a 67-pitch simulated game on Thursday, but that was all the Pirates needed to see to make their decision.
Rodriguez hasn’t pitched since leaving in the first inning on June 5 against the Braves. His season ends with a 3.59 ERA in 62.2 innings spanning 12 starts. The Pirates have a $13.5 million option and a $2.5 million buy-out left on Rodriguez’s contract to consider for the 2014 season. Part of that $13.5 million, $5.5 million to be exact, would be paid by the Astros, who traded Rodriguez to Pittsburgh on July 24 last year.
- The Cubs assign Kris Bryant and Addison Russell to the minors, option Javier Baez as well 60
- 2015 Preview: Arizona Diamondbacks 6
- 2015 Preview: Toronto Blue Jays 67
- Mariners prospect Victor Sanchez has died 24
- 2015 Preview: Chicago White Sox 15
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? 88
- 2015 Preview: Atlanta Braves 15
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” 118
- Ex-Cardinals outfielder Curt Ford was assaulted in St. Louis and told to “go back to Ferguson” (122)
- David Ortiz: “Nobody in MLB history has been tested for PEDs more than me” (118)
- Rob Manfred says it would be hard to reinstate Pete Rose in a limited way (89)
- Did David Ortiz admit to more than he realized with his Players’ Tribune editorial? (88)
- The MLBPA releases a statement on Kris Bryant, mentions possible litigation (84)