Sep 14, 2013, 7:15 PM EST
The Pirates have shut down starter Wandy Rodriguez for the remainder of the year, per Rob Biertempfel of the Pittsburgh Tribune. Rodriguez has been dealing with arthritis in his left elbow. He threw a 67-pitch simulated game on Thursday, but that was all the Pirates needed to see to make their decision.
Rodriguez hasn’t pitched since leaving in the first inning on June 5 against the Braves. His season ends with a 3.59 ERA in 62.2 innings spanning 12 starts. The Pirates have a $13.5 million option and a $2.5 million buy-out left on Rodriguez’s contract to consider for the 2014 season. Part of that $13.5 million, $5.5 million to be exact, would be paid by the Astros, who traded Rodriguez to Pittsburgh on July 24 last year.
- Report: Red Sox offer Jon Lester six years, $110-120 million 66
- Report: “There is a 90 percent chance that Pablo Sandoval will sign with the Red Sox” 121
- A’s sign Billy Butler to three-year, $30 million contract 83
- Cardinals reportedly joining pursuit of Jon Lester 65
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. 148
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal 156
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal 135
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history 124
- Biggest deal in baseball history: Giancarlo Stanton close to 13-year, $325 million contract with Marlins (182)
- Braves and Cardinals swap Jason Heyward and Shelby Miller in blockbuster deal (156)
- Giancarlo Stanton’s contract is backloaded. REALLY backloaded. (148)
- Blue Jays sign Russell Martin to five-year, $82 million deal (135)
- Done Deal: Giancarlo Stanton and the Marlins agree on the biggest contract in baseball history (124)