Vladimir Guerrero announces his retirement

Sep 14, 2013, 9:35 AM EDT

vlad getty Getty Images

This hardly comes as a big surprise at this point, but Vladimir Guerrero told Hector Gomez of Dominican Republic newspaper Listin Diario (link in Spanish) that he has retired from baseball at the age of 38.

“I decided to announce my retirement because I want to spend more time with my family,” said Guerrero (translated from Spanish). “Also by the fact the two operations I’ve had in my right knee.”

Guerrero hasn’t played in the majors since 2011 when he batted .290/.317/.416 with 13 home runs and a .733 OPS with the Orioles. He had a brief stint in the minors with the Blue Jays in 2012, but eventually asked for his release after he wasn’t called up to the majors. It was reported earlier this year that he was planning to join the independent Long Island Ducks, but that effort never really got off the ground.

A nine-time All-Star, Guerrero will walk away from the game with a .318 career batting average to go along with 2,590 hits, 449 home runs, and 1,496 RBI. He won an MVP Award in 2004 as a member of the Angels. While he ultimately fell short of his goal of 500 home runs, he would still seem to have a pretty good shot at being enshrined in Cooperstown. If it happens, one would think he’d be wearing an Expos cap.

And man, what an arm.

(Hat-tip to MLB Trade Rumors for the link)

1. jarathen - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:48 AM

It is important that no one ever go to Cooperstown wearing an Angels cap. I’m sure Mike Trout will leave Anaheim at 27 and play for 15 years in Philadelphia or NY and go in one of those caps, too.

But at least we’ll always have 2002.

Vlad didn’t go out on his own terms, but to me it seems best he didn’t. He wasn’t fantastic at the end, but he also wasn’t terrible at the plate, and lack of interest kept him from embarrassing himself.

2. phillyphan93 - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:49 AM

One of the most entertaining players to watch! True professional

3. crispybasil - Sep 14, 2013 at 9:57 AM

I’ll always remember a Vlad at bat where he launched a Curt Schilling splitter that dropped below his knees over the Green Monster for a home run. For once in his life, I think Curt Schilling was speechless.

• offseasonblues - Sep 14, 2013 at 5:54 PM

On 8/18/2007 we had seats behind the third base dugout, and I have some lasting visuals from those Angels closeups. Scioscia is as wide as he is tall. Weaver was … not attractive. Vlad was gorgeous. The smile, and best of all the way he messed around with the kids in the stands. Papi’s grand slam saved the day, but I’m glad I got to see Guerrero’s golf swing. He’s one of my favorite non-Red Sox.

4. pandaaa69 - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:17 AM

I wonder what getting slapped by him feels LOL

5. Jeremiah Graves - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:25 AM

Trying to think here of any other active players – is it safe to assume that Vlady is the last player who could potentially go into the Hall with an Expos hat?!

(Note: I’m assuming Tim Raines goes in w/ an Expos hat well before Vlady gets his time on the ballot.)

Pedro Martinez almost undoubtedly goes in with a Red Sox cap. Larry Walker’s candidacy never got off the ground and even if he did manage to rally some votes in the next decade-plus, it’d be Colorado, not Montreal. Randy Johnson’s 11-game stint with the Expos probably isn’t enough for the Hall to choose Montreal over Seattle or Arizona when he gets inducted.

Vlady may very well be the last Expos player to get inducted wearing the squiggly “M” on his head. Crazy stuff.

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 14, 2013 at 1:33 PM

Two others Jeremiah: Someday, eventually, perhaps, maybe, Pete Rose. As an Expo?? Hey, without those 72 hits, he’s No. 2.
      And for his name alone, the greatest Expo ever, John BOCCA-BELLA!!! Oh, didn’t dominate in his era? How about 1973 when he was 4th in the league in catching base stealers. Yeah.

6. db105 - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:36 AM

One of the most physically talented and least disciplined players ever. He ran the bases the like a little leaguer with no regards to game situations. The video of his throw speaks for itself.

7. pisano - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:59 AM

What a rope!

8. tfbuckfutter - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:01 AM

With all due respect to Guerrero’s arm….that guy totally did a plié rounding third.

It’s sad he wasn’t able to continue his career at a high level, but I don’t know whether it’s sad that he kept trying, or admirable that he loved the game enough to want to keep playing even if it was for the Ducks.

What an awesome player and scary hitter though.

9. jaysfan64 - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:04 AM

What a beast Vlad was…

and it’s sure nice to hear Tom Cheek again, BTW…

10. dondada10 - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:14 AM

Remember that time Vlad hit a pitch AFTER it bounced?

• moogro - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:29 AM

Wow. Cricket style.

• tfbuckfutter - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:38 AM

That is awesome.

And whoever downvoted that video can lick my bouncing balls.

• dan1111 - Sep 14, 2013 at 1:04 PM

Unbelievable!

• badintent - Sep 15, 2013 at 8:25 PM

Great ! I sent this to my guy in Melbourne, Down Under. He was amazed too !. I ‘v asked him to send this to the National Cricket team . They play India for the Asian championship n 2 months. Hope Vlad will get a tryout.Sumbelievable.

11. jimatkins - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:31 AM

Sometimes it seemed like Vladdy’s sweet spot was from 6 inches above the ground to 6 inches above his shoulders, and about a foot outside. The man could make contact with anything, anywhere. I kind of wish he wouldn’t go in in an Expos cap because that stadium ruined his knees and seriously shortened his career.

• lbmclean - Sep 14, 2013 at 6:55 PM

Yes Expos fans should be punished for that really cool stadium they paid for……

“we sat 2 miles away from the field and watched Vlad through binoculars, what a treat!!!!”

I guess he will pick a cap and those who don’t know shit will have to live with it

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:56 PM

Clean, the Hall picks the cap, though they will sometimes confer with the player to explain their choice.

• badintent - Sep 15, 2013 at 1:20 AM

It was built by a hockey rink company. What’da expect. ? A first class place with a roof and hotel like the Toronto digs ? All ya have to know about Montreal is that they have built 20 hospitals all with the same name, Notre Dame. Did I mention that it took over 20 years after the Olympics to pay the dump off with all the new taxes put into raising the $$$ ??

12. yahmule - Sep 14, 2013 at 11:49 AM

One of my all time favorite players. The Dodgers really blew it when they let him get away.

• rfexpact - Sep 14, 2013 at 2:24 PM

What on earth are you talking about … the Dodgers never had Vladimir Guerrero in their organization!

Are you thinking, maybe, of Pedro Guerrero? Seems you would know ‘one of your favorite players’ a little better!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Sep 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

yahmule might have been thinking of Ron Cey. A lot of people confuse the two.

13. peopletrains - Sep 14, 2013 at 12:06 PM

I loved watching this guy play. He reminded me of Clemente. Hopefully another like him comes along soon.

14. yanmontreal - Sep 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM

Always remember him when he first start in Montréal! Good luck Vlad from Québec, we miss you and i’m sure we are gonna see you in Montréal between de Jays and the mets in 2014 :-)

15. Samuel - Sep 14, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Reblogged this on But at the end of the day… and commented:
    I mean, I guess what we all knew is official. Great arm, wild swing. Good player.

16. rfexpact - Sep 14, 2013 at 4:14 PM

Love the Ron Cey comment … too funny!

17. scdocal - Sep 14, 2013 at 5:42 PM

One of the best bad ball hitters ever. Should get the nod for the HOF. Dude had a canon as well.

18. phillyrox - Sep 14, 2013 at 7:52 PM

My first favorite baseball player ever. I still remember being crushed in ’04 when the Phillies didn’t trade Abreu to make room for him.(If only Amaro was the GM then) Hope he did enough to make Cooperstown.

Also, how terrible is the announcing in that video? That was an INCREDIBLE throw!

19. glink123 - Sep 14, 2013 at 10:20 PM

Roids and HGH.

20. badintent - Sep 15, 2013 at 1:23 AM

Has a great home in the Republic of Dominican. On top of a tall hill , monster swimming pool that would fit in most resorts and over looks a major league training facility with MLB hopefuls.

21. romoscollarbone - Sep 15, 2013 at 4:01 AM

Glad I got to see Vlad in person. Two memories, he h
    It the hardest ball I’ve ever seen. A laser one hopper to Bernie Williams in center. Bernie literally never moved. Second him warming up at Yankee stadium, by standing on the third base line and just kinda leaning back and rocking forward throwing balls 4 .& 5 rows deep in right field seats.

22. peddealer - Sep 16, 2013 at 1:17 AM

Vladamir,

Old friend!

Even in retirement, if you ever need a little something let me know!

Anthony Bosch